In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Senate panel limits gun immunity bill

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Senate panel limits gun immunity bill

By Niki Kelly

The Journal Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS - A Senate panel Tuesday pared down a bill that would have given near blanket civil immunity to firearms owners.

After intense debate on a single provision in House Bill 1349 last week, Sen. Robert L. Meeks, R-LaGrange, proposed an amendment limiting the legislation's effect.

The original language would have meant no gun owner could be sued when the person's gun was used in a crime by another person so long as the owner didn't know a crime would occur. It did not differentiate between the gun being stolen or an owner recklessly giving the gun to another person.

A national gun safety group labeled it the most sweeping immunity clause in the nation.

But Tuesday, the Senate Criminal, Civil and Public Policy Committee amended the bill so that immunity is only given to the owner of the firearm if the gun was obtained through a burglary, robbery, theft, criminal conversion or receiving stolen property.

"It puts the responsibility on the one who perpetrated the crime and not the owner of the gun," Meeks said.

After the amendment, the bill passed 8-2 and now goes to the full Senate for consideration.

The legislation is a direct response to an April 2003 Indiana Supreme Court decision that found gun owners have a responsibility to reasonably care for their firearms even in the privacy of their own homes.

The first-of-its-kind ruling reinstated a lawsuit filed by the family of slain Allen County Sheriff's Officer Eryk Heck against the owners of the gun, Raymond and Patricia Stoffer.

The estate is trying to prove the Stoffers were negligent in storing their firearm, which their adult, fugitive son Timothy Stoffer used to kill Heck and wound another officer during an August 1997 shootout.

Timothy Stoffer also died during the exchange.

According to court records, the Stoffers kept the gun hidden in the cushion of an armchair to which Timothy Stoffer had free and unfettered access.

Any final court or jury finding will focus on whether the Stoffers - who on occasion helped their son elude authorities - should have been able to reasonably foresee their son's actions.

The current legislation would apply only to future lawsuits.
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/news/local/7980166.htm

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Josey: Can I say thank you again for keeping us informed. I look foreward to your postings and love every one of them. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course I've been following this in my local paper. Initially this was about protecting gun sellers as well, but now it begins to look like Bob Meeks has taken an axe to it. At least the language covering crimes will be clear. But now we need another bill, I guess, to protect from nuisance suits against sellers, distribs, and manufacturers. I'd sure like to read the draft and see what's in it currently, and what Meeks cut. I used to know his relative Bud Meeks when he was a Fort Wayne cop. Since then Bud has gotten into politics at a national level from time to time, and I think was head of a national Sherriff's Association for a while. I can't figure out why Bob is meddling with a bill that could set national precedent for protection against frivolous lawsuits that might threaten the gun industry. Surely that agenda is transparent.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So....If I have, say, a gun sitting outside the safe, and someone breaks in and steals it and shoots up a donut shop or whatever, am I covered or not?

I maintain that a gun INSIDE MY LOCKED HOUSE but not necessarily in my SAFE *IS* under "reasonable care". I'm anxious to see how the slimeballs in the Senate word this thing to get around that point, which I'm sure they will....

I suspect strongly this is simply a pro-firearms-owner sounding bill that, if finally passed, really won't offer anything by way of REAL protection from liability. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I don't think so...
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    If the whole legislature passed it without further dilution, we'd be covered IF we'd tried to lock up the gun that was stolen from us, using a gun-grabber approved lockup and gun hiding plan. And IF county and local authorities agreed with the state statute without further watering it down in the case. That's my bet. It's better than it was, but I agree with Offerer; now we need another bill to block frivolous lawsuits.
    Now we'll watch it as it goes before the full State Senate. This is much like a game of Pin the Tail on the Donkey, only it's rider provisions instead of tails, and there's no blindfold. Who knows what the bill will look like if it passes the Senate.
    Sorry to sound pessimistic. I'd like it to have retained its original power.