In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The NRA Video & Coin

NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Sure, it's been on past threads, but I forget exactly what the advice was, when one gets these in the mail. It's the fund-raising device, sending members a video and commemorative coin, unsolicited. Then they wait a couple of months or so and send a formal mailing, indicating their rrecords \show the reciever needs to return either $9.00 or the materials.

I returned mine to sender the day after I got it, seems even longer ago, maybe November. Now I get this notice. I handwrote on it, "Either your records are incorrect or you're trying to scam a loyal member." And at the bottom I explained that I'd returned the whole thing to sender the day after receiving it.

Question: Should I mail them the notice with my added comments or is it legally wiser to just ignore it? What can they do?

Comments

• NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad but typical of most clubs,NAH is the worst.I havent recieved the tape or the coin,but if I do I know what to do with it.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I kept both and never sent them anything, as I didn't order it I'm not obligated to pay for it or return it. I thought it was just a free gift till I got a notice about returning it or sending payment. I missed the envelope on the box when I opened it. I still had the box in my cardboard pile is how I found that I missed it. After getting some more notices about it I have not gotten anything from them other than my magazine each month.

I was very PO'ed about the whole deal and might not re-new my membership when my 5-year deal is up. I have not been very happy with them and feel I may be wasting my money.

For your deal just ignore them, it will stop soon.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC, if you receive a totally unsolicited item through the mail, it is a "gift." This means, it's yours to keep and you don't have to do anything. IIRC, this federal law was passed to stop the big CD music by mail companies from sending people CDs and obligating them to send them back or pay up. However, I think the item MUST be unsolicited...if they called and offered it to you and you said you wanted it, this wouldn't apply.

DISCLAIMER: For entertainment purposes only, not to be taken as legal advice. For legal advice, contact a competent attorney licensed to practice in your state.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Also, knowing what I know now I would return it unopened to them.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Thank you, friends. I'll trash my reply and ignore them.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Send them a copy of this from the USPS Postal Inspector

http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/merch.htm

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    22wrf: Printed a copy to keep as ammo. 'ppreciate it.