In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

We watched "The Passion of the Christ"

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just got back from the theater. It was a great movie. I don't think it will change a non-believer into a believer, but I think it will help everyone understand what the crucifixion really was.

I know there are all levels of belief. Some believe Jesus was a real man, but not the Christ. Some believe that the whole story is fiction. Like I said, I don't think it will change anyone's beliefs, but it will move you. I'm sure there will be some who try to make an argument out of the issue, but those are little people with personal agendas.

Being a believer, I was moved and strengthened. I hope I will remember this feeling when I am weak. Right now, I feel good about my faith.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif

Comments

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Heff, I've heard that out of the 127 minutes of the movie, 121 is VERY violent?

True?

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    It is tough, and it is bloody. If you are a veteran, you've already seen the real side, but yes, it's not for the faint of heart.

I was also impressed that the audience was so diverse. Usually, movies are 90% audiences. They are 90% young, or 90% middle aged, or 90% old. This was a true mix. Looked like ages 10 to 80, evenly mixed.

I don't think my youngest two grandsons (7 and 9) should see it yet, but the oldest (13) should. I bought tickets for my son to take his wife and the oldest, and I'll take the younger ones to another movie of their choice.

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I look forward to seeing it too. I don't want to know too much about it, but you can't really say much in words that would spoil this movie since it's all about the execution (no pun intended). What I have heard that I think conveys the tone best is that ALL 40 LASHES are depicted, one at a time.... Gibson did good.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    I usually don't go to subtitled movies, but it makes it much better to hear the Aramaic (sp). It fits the movies settings. I strongly recommend it.

• TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I heard on the news tonight that a women had a heart attack and died while watching the movie.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Why not read the book? [}:)]

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
    Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
    Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I look forward to the Aramaic too.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got back from watching it. WOW. Gibson did good on this one.

dheffley
    This was a special showing, some churches bought out the theatre.
    Afterword there was an invitation. Three people chose to recieve
    Christ.

One powerful film.

You can't miss fast enough.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i cant wait to see it

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TOOLS1
    I heard on the news tonight that a women had a heart attack and died while watching the movie.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.

happoned in wichita KS. i just read it in the morning paper. they are saying she probably had a heart attack.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I saw it last night and I must say it is the greatest movie I have ever seen. Watching Mel's interpretation of what Christ went through was a gut wrenching thing to see. I just never imagined it being as brutal is it was portrayed. I guess I got the watered down sunday school version when I was younger and it stuck with me. One can only imagine the real suffering Christ went through. When it was over, I don't think there was a dry eye in the theater. After the film the entire auditorium applauded. It was awesome.

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY

I have. It was great too.[:D]

• NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    There was some science fiction pot boiler movie which included in its promo, "We will have nurses standing by in the lobby!" Glad they didn't sink to that level with this great film.