In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First Time Post. Need Help with Choice

Rob232Rob232 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hey Guys,
This looks like a really cool forum to join. I have been thinking abou tbuying a handgun for a while, and i just wanted to know what some of you guys thought between the two that i was looking at. The Glock .40, or a P99 .40, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of each? if it makes a diffrences i'm 6'1" 200lbs.. and i have shot many rifles before, not so many handguns. Thanks for letting me post in your forum.

Comments

• D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum,It all depends which one fills better in your hands they are both good guns anyone will make a good shooter or carry weapon.If you can shot both before you buy that would be helpfull.Most will say Glock. I don't like Glocks because they look like a brick. I prefer my 1911 in aREAL mans caliber 45 just playin 40 cal shooters[:p]. It all comes down to you.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D@D ,said it all.Welcome to the forum.
    [:)][^][:)][:p][^][:)]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    AGREED D@d SAID IT ALL WELCOME TO THE FORUM IT CAN GET A LITTLE ROUGH IN HERE SO HOLD ON............[:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I opt for the Glock,Ive seen way to many shoot thousands of rounds with no problem or wear.I dont care much for the S&W 99 it doesnt fit me well with any of their grips.But you should hold them both and see which has a good natural point of aim for you.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Welcome. Yeah, it's largely real people here. Glock? I've got two, but I much more like the looks of CZ and Berretta, or any 1911 type.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If those are the only options you're giving us YOU DO NEED HELP![:D]

"Just funnin' son. Just funnin'"

Get a man's gun. Something that has .45 stamped on it.

Mudge the big bore fan

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Rob. Excuse our mess with all the Bush v Kerry posts.[;)][:p] We really do talk about guns sometimes[:p][8D]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Welcome to GBThe .40 in both hand guns would be a good choice. As others have mentioned the .45acp is better. But if you want a real hand gun calibur look at the 10mm. Once you havfe a 10 you will never go back. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911A 45acp! whats a glock?
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Welcome Rob232. I personally prefer the 45 ACP. Different strokes for different folks though my friend.[;)] Go with what makes you tick.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome buddy..I can't say, it's all a matter of choice, and we all seem to have different ideas, so go with the one you like. I bet you would have anyway, am I right?

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Whatever you get its gotta feel good and balanced in your hand and you gotta handle a bunch before you'll know what's good. Depends on the size of your hand and the length of your fingers.

You need a fit that places your finger on the trigger in the right spot that will allow you to pull the triigger straight back without moving the gun.

You also gotta tell us what you are going to use this gun for; carrying, home-defense, target shooting, plinking or a paperweight.

As far as Glocks vs. other handguns. Many here love em, many hate em.

Me, I'd go with a 1911 or browning style .45 anyday. I don't own a Glock or any .40 or 9mm for that matter.

Look at Springfield Armory, CZ, Pardini and HK when it comes to .45's.

Oh yeah, welcome to the nuthouse [:D]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    welcome aboard Rob232!

I'd go for the glock simply because I do not like Smith & Wesson since their little stunt they pulled.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Well, we've got LOTS of opinions.
    I've not been here long; you might want to listen to the others.
    But I say a slim 40S&W or 45ACP in stainless steel with a 4"~ barrel.
    Slim full size grips.

I used to like 40S&W best, but have been shooting more 45ACP, and am starting to get a feel for single hand point-shooting...the only kind I think anybody can really have time for in a 1.5 second emergency.

And save some brass. You might want to start re-loading.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I agree with D@D, except my dislike for Glock is due to a very bad experience with one.[:(!]

I would go with .45 ACP as a first choice, but .40 S&W isn't bad. But. like D@D said, I would go with it in a 1911 style gun.[;)]

My second choice would be a Smith Auto. I have 18 of them in different calibers and sizes, and every one of them are excellent guns.[:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welsome Rob. You didn't say what you were going to do with your new toy so replies are limited in scope. I have shot IPSC matches and bowling pins matches and one o the things that impressed me was the difference in the way .45 ACP and small calibers worked. In bowling pins especially. Pins hit with 9mm and .40 would clear the table(usually roll off) when hit center of mass. Pins hit with the .45 were usally lifted off the table with center of mass hits and taken off the table with any half way reasonable hit. I vote .45 expecially if you are thinking defense/carry-- I really believe in the bigger hole theory. Pinhead
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Welcome. As advised above it takes thick skin to stay in here sometimes.

I like the 40 and the Glock it carries nice and shoots just fine.

However Zerodin got a 1911 type 45 this summer and boy do I like the way it shoots and feels.

Best thing you can do is go to the gun store and hold as many as you can and find one that just "feels good" in your hand.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Go for the Glock. Reliable, accurate, and dishwasher-safe[:D]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, welcome to the group!

I have to second Gap1916's comment, and D@D, if you want to talk about a man's caliber shoot a 10mm...[;)]

I never liked Glocks personally...that is until I shot one. I shoot a 10mm, and the recoil is very tame, it is target accurate, so combat accuracy is not an issue, and it is as easy as heck to dissassemble and reassemble as necessary (or desirable [:D]). I do not know much about the P99, but I have heard great things about it, including that it improved on Glock's ideas by putting metal (aluminum?) inserts in the polymer frame to keep it from warping. I believe you can change the backstraps on the P99 to fit your hand better (I think there are three choices). It comes down to personal opinion, because they are both good guns.

As ugly as the Glock is (sorry guys), I like it better than the P99 for aesthetics. MHO

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937