In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Homeschooling (C&P)

FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
In the wake of a fatal shooting, the security for a D.C. high school was officially turned over to the city's police department last week. Armed officers will patrol the halls.

This is one more indication of the severe problems haunting the public school system: violence, illegal drugs, the mandating of medication such as Ritalin, low academic achievement, controversial curricula, perceived prejudice against boys.

Parents who wish to explore educational alternatives at their own expense should be encouraged to do so, yet the opposite is occurring. Advocates of public schooling view other systems of education as threats to be regulated, discouraged and sometimes demonized. (Often the income and careers of these advocates depend upon the continued tax funding of public schools.)

Is there any validity to their criticism of educational alternatives?

Two of the most viable ones are homeschooling and apprenticeships. Neither prevents anyone from choosing public schools; each merely offers a choice at no public expense. How could anyone reasonably object to that?

One objection comes from the assumption that public schools are necessary for children to become literate. The assumption is unfounded. Prior to the spread of public education in the early 1900s, literacy rates in America were amazingly high. A much-quoted estimate comes from a book written in 1812 at the behest of Thomas Jefferson. The French statesman Pierre Samuel DuPont de Nemours, who emigrated to America, declared of young Americans, "Not more than four in a thousand are unable to write legibly, even neatly."

Other sources also attest to high literacy rates prior to the 1900s, a literacy that arose largely from home schooling.

Pointing to the past is unnecessary. Today homeschooled students often perform better on standardized tests than those from public schools. In 2001, for example, homeschooled SAT-takers averaged 568 on the verbal test and 525 on the math; the national average was 506 on verbal and 514 on math.

Moreover, nations that actively encourage apprenticeship programs such as Germany and Switzerland enjoy very high literacy. Clearly, public schools are not a necessary path to that social goal.

Two additional criticisms of educational alternatives are common.

First, alternatives weaken the public school system; and second, they harm children.

The first argument assumes that dissenting parents should support and strengthen a social institution they believe damages their children. Their "social obligations" are placed in conflict with their parental responsibilities. No such conflict exists. Parents who use their own judgment and money in educating their children deprive no other parent of that same right. If public schools, with all their advantages, cannot compete with free market options, then they deserve to weaken because children deserve better.

The second criticism is that educational alternatives harm children.

In the `80s, when homeschooling appeared on the social radar, it was closely associated with the Religious Right. Homeschoolers were viewed as extremists and unqualified amateurs. As homeschooling entered the mainstream and a generation of homeschooled children scored well on tests, public suspicion faded.

The accusation of harm shifted. Homeschooling is now said to mask child abuse. This was the message clearly implied by an Oct. 14 CBS News' two-part report entitled "A Dark Side to Homeschooling." The report created a furor of protest in the homeschooling community; it also encouraged politicians to call for anti-homeschooling legislation.

Conservative columnist Michelle Malkin examined a push for legislation in New Jersey. Four adopted boys were found to be starving although child welfare officials claimed to have visited the home no fewer than 38 times. Rather than condemn the bureaucracy, politicians blamed the fact that the foster parents had homeschooled. Thus, all New Jersey homeschoolers may be subjected to indignities like criminal background checks and obstacles like health regulations more stringent than those imposed on public schools.

Malkin concluded, "God forbid children be taught by their own parents without oversight from the all-knowing, all-caring, infallible.child welfare-public school monopoly!"

With apprenticeships, the concept of harm often draws upon the specter of "child labor" even though modern apprenticeships bear no resemblance to the 19th century images that arise at the sound of that term. Apprentices entering programs in the U.S., for instance, must be at least 16 years old. Moreover, apprenticeship as alternative education was established as a matter of parental and religious liberty by the court case Wisconsin v. Yoder (1972).

The case addressed the Amish and Mennonite tradition by which children were employed from age 14 to 16 on the family farm or in a family occupation, like carpentry, instead of going to school as the law usually requires. The court found that such employment did not constitute harm. Today, these apprenticeships remain a de facto exception to child labor laws and open the door to other exceptions.

My purpose is not to dispute with parents who send their children to public schools. I believe the system is a brutal failure, but parents must decide for themselves. I advocate extending alternatives far beyond the typical private versus public school debate, and even beyond homeschooling.

Apprenticeships, experiments like Montessori and the School of Living, self-guided education, mentoring. The cost of public education is not measured in tax dollars alone. A universe of educational possibilities has been obstructed by the attempt to enforce a government monopoly over how, where, when, and what children learn.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY

Comments

• powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    We home schooled our three daughters. They did better on the tests than did many of their peers. They also were taking college level courses by their 'junior' years.

Even after establishing that they were enrolled in college courses and after they passed an arbitrary test administered by the school system (and passing I might add well above their grade level) the school kept harassing us to test them every year, insisted we have visits by child welfare to ensure they were not abused and prove they were being taught at the level of their grade (remember they were well above their grade level).

My wife successfully refused to have them tested after the first year.

All of this was designed for harassment and to scare off other potential homeschooling parents.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kind of like that idea but does the kids missing out on being around their school friends affect them?

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of homeshchooling, but my wife isn't crazy about it. Her sister homeschools my two nephews, and they do just fine, but my wife doesn't want your kids to miss out on the experiences of going to school, which I can understand. I just have to pony up the cash for private Catholic school. I went to public high school in a small town, which was fine, but there is NO WAY I am sending my kids to public high school here is Kansas City - they're so bad they lost their accredidation two years ago and haven't got it back yet.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Most of the ones I have met are very introverted and I think that it is not good for them socially. They may be smart but that is not all you need to learn growing up. I have gotten to see many kids when they come to visit the Fire Station I get to see both groups.

My best friend married a lady with 4, yes four, girls he went from being an only child and single to a house full of women. The girls were all home schooled. The girls are all very well adjusted and very smart. They are also however very active in their church, attending many functions per week. I think this has made all the difference. They have in the last two years gone to a regular school and are doing great.

Having had both of my parents be teachers and growing up around other teachers and having friends now that are teachers I am somewhat against the home schooling.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I homeschooled up to the 12th grade, then took my senior year at a private school. I was active in the Boy Scouts and church activities so relating to my peers was not too much of a challenge. I am not sure I want to raise my future children the same way, but I will cross that bridge when it comes.

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smokeeater 38
    Most of the ones I have met are very introverted and I think that it is not good for them socially. They may be smart but that is not all you need to learn growing up.

I personally have a number of friends that were homeschooled. They were well adjusted and relatively smart. I don't think they were any less sociable or any more introverted. They are now far beyond high school and never had any trouble fitting in (as far as I know).

I think it is a myth that homeschooled kids are introverted or socially inept or defficient. It is propagated and spread by ppl who don't know home schooled kids. I remember that my friends were often the most willing to go out, play sports, participate in interest groups, etc.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Hey Frog,

We homeschool our daughter. She is in the first grade and already writes in cursive, reads, and is doing real well with math. This is her first year of school. The violence issue is only part of the reason we decided to homeschool. Some of the other reasons, were the anti-God, tollerance, and pro-homosexual indoctrination. We will instill our values in our children. I will NOT allow the state to.

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    More:

Both of my little brothers were homeschooled, and they are FAR more advanced than public school students. Both are in college now, but one of them was taking Physics in the 9th grade, and the other taught himself to speed read and he reads and comprehends 3000+ words a minute. One of them has a 4.0 GPA in college and the other has a 3.9GPA.

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tip of the hat to you ECC. I think your kids are lucky with parents like you and your wife. You probably agree that your kids are no less socially developed than others.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was homeschooled for 9 years, and I loved it. I was able to work at my own pace, and I did so well. My mother was my teacher, and she kept my brothers and I on schedule, no goofing around. I consistently scored in the 95% or higher on all of my standardized tests. Statistically speaking, homeschooler's scores are consistently, drastically higher than public schooler's scores. I enrolled in college at the age of 17, and it if hadn't been for the one year I spent at a public high school (who didn't like homeshoolers), then I would have enrolled in college at 16 years of age. I would not have changed my homeschool experience, except for maybe not having gone to public school at all. Neither my brothers nor I have any "social problems" like the liberals like to say homeshoolers do. I wouldn't change my schooling for the world.

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937