In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9/11 who?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
Katrina has come to my aid as an illustration of a point I have been trying to make for years now. I may as well have been speaking to the wind for all of the good it did. The attacks of 9/11 where nothing to the might and power of this country and we should have treated them as such. Alterior motives and political bs aside, why have we spent billions upon billions of dollars and made Osama Bin Laden the equivalent of a rock star in the eyes of the young muslims over the loss of a few thousand lives and the loss of a few buildings? I'll tell you why. It is because we had a person to aim our anger and frustration at and by proxy we now have an entire ethnic/religious group to blame for our problems and insecurities. I am not saying we should have let it pass, but we should have publicly acted as if it was no big deal and privately hunted down the terrorists and fed them their testicles.
Now Katrina is a big deal. The shockwave that it will send through our economy will dwarf the loss of the trade center. The eventual loss of life will surpass the 3000 or so lost on 911.We have no individual to aim our wrath at so we accept it as a tragedy and go about the business of rebuilding.Personally though, I would leave the looters to drown like the vermin they are.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy Just checking in

Comments

• Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    The ultimate "reality check", eh.....

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I tend to agree.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Kurt, IMHO the looters are what we have to look forward to in a not so distant future when the ripple effect of this hits our economy. Katrina will only fill the pocket books of the wealthy oil companies, drain the average American's wallet due to oil and insurance price increases, and will do more to bring us to the brink of economic collapse faster than 100 9-11s ever would IMHO. In otgher words, you hit the nail on the head BDJ IMHO.

Education is nothing if common sense and manners are not in the curriculum!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jjmitchell60
    Kurt, IMHO the looters are what we have to look forward to in a not so distant future when the ripple effect of this hits our economy. Katrina will only fill the pocket books of the wealthy oil companies, drain the average American's wallet due to oil and insurance price increases, and will do more to bring us to the brink of economic collapse faster than 100 9-11s ever would IMHO. In otgher words, you hit the nail on the head BDJ IMHO.

Education is nothing if common sense and manners are not in the curriculum!

You are right on the money JJ. While everyone else is worrying about filling their tanks with gas I am spending my money on ammo and MRE's. If mother nature just hickups a little before we get the refineries and rigs up and running again, like if the Cascadian Fault lets loose as it is over due to, then say goodbye to the Alaskan oil and most of the west coast. What will people do when it takes 75% of their income to drive to work and heat their homes? How long will 40 million welfare recipients wait for food before they decide to raid farmer Smith's fields and kill his livestock?

• Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem with your analogy is Katrina was not an act of war, 9/11 was. 9/11 was a man made catastrophe that had we not responded to it, would only have invited further atrocities to make even Katrina look like a school girl's hiccup. Should we have let Pearl Harbor go unnoticed since it resulted in fewer deaths than the great flu epidemic? IN terms of loss and damage to American power, Pearl Harbor was negligle, too. Should China not have fought Japan because they suffered untold millions more deaths from flooding, starvation and disease? How big of an attack would it take before you were in favor of retaliation in kind? How many lives would have to be lost before you said "that's enough, I'm not gonna take it anymore?" 5,000? 10,000? 25,000? Never forget that weakness breeds aggression and complacency is an evil man's best friend.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    The only problem with your analogy is Katrina was not an act of war, 9/11 was. 9/11 was a man made catastrophe that had we not responded to it, would only have invited further atrocities to make even Katrina look like a school girl's hiccup. Should we have let Pearl Harbor go unnoticed since it resulted in fewer deaths than the great flu epidemic? IN terms of loss and damage to American power, Pearl Harbor was negligle, too. Should China not have fought Japan because they suffered untold millions more deaths from flooding, starvation and disease? How big of an attack would it take before you were in favor of retaliation in kind? How many lives would have to be lost before you said "that's enough, I'm not gonna take it anymore?" 5,000? 10,000? 25,000? Never forget that weakness breeds aggression and complacency is an evil man's best friend.

You may have missed this part....

"I am not saying we should have let it pass, but we should have publicly acted as if it was no big deal and privately hunted down the terrorists and fed them their testicles."

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The bush whorrres are unable to comprehend exactly what it is you are saying, no doubt...after all, the man responsible for 9/11 is dead...isn't he....sometimes, I forget in the elation over the huge gains made over in Iraq...a Sovereign nation having nothing to do with 9/11...And thinking about the huge poppy fields growing again in Afganistan...supplying most of the worlds opium once again...course, I expect that is good business for some people here in the States...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    15 moments after we found out "Who Did It"..we should have had wet teams inserted into Afganistan...and brought out a head two days later.

That did not suit the power-mad trolls at the top...didn't take away enough freedoms from home folks here. Expansion of control here at home is the end game....not safety for America. I give you barbarians flooding across our borders as prime proof...impeachment is justified.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Highball Posted - 08/31/2005 : 10:27:32 PM 15 moments after we found out "Who Did It"..we should have had wet teams inserted into Afganistan...and brought out a head two days later.

That did not suit the power-mad trolls at the top...didn't take away enough freedoms from home folks here. Expansion of control here at home is the end game....not safety for America. I give you barbarians flooding across our borders as prime proof...impeachment is justified.
    targetshootr Posted - 08/31/2005 : 10:13:27 PM We waited longer than necessary to go into Afghanistan but we barely mopped up before another shiny bauble caught the attention of our grown-up wannabes and that's when we started our downhill slide...er, plunge...which compounds the disaster at hand.

Highball Posted - 08/31/2005 : 10:05:25 PM The bush whorrres are unable to comprehend exactly what it is you are saying, no doubt...after all, the man responsible for 9/11 is dead...isn't he....sometimes, I forget in the elation over the huge gains made over in Iraq...a Sovereign nation having nothing to do with 9/11...And thinking about the huge poppy fields growing again in Afganistan...supplying most of the worlds opium once again...course, I expect that is good business for some people here in the States...

Remind me again what color the sky is in your world. Just wondering.

• Options
    edited November -1
    My sky is not filtered through rose-colored glasses..reality never is.

Your world is populated with heads of corporations that have the public interest in mind...presidents that wish only for a stronger,better America...migrant workers busily tending crops so you can eat cheap.

Reality shows that lousy greedy bas tards run all major corporations/presidents utterly unconcerned with the safety/strength of this country...criminal barbarians flooding the borders.

Enjoy your Disney Land for Dummies.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Bigdaddy,

Amen to your post.

Truth be told, I'm surprised no one has called you an Al Qaeda lover yet.

And to those of you out there who are in love with the war in Iraq, I say this: we can spend billions of dollars a day in Iraq, but none on New Orleans.

It took Bush two days to link Iraq with 9/11.

It took him five to mention New Orleans.

Bush won - thank God!