In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Greetings from Shanghai

flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in General Discussion
Pretty amazing place - that giant sucking sound you hear is the American $$$$ departing the US and arriving here in the form of skyscrapers, highways, etc. I've never seen more construction cranes in my life. China overtaking America economically in the next 10 to 15 years is not an outrageous notion. 1.2 billion people focused on capitalism in a way the US hasn't been in 40 years. The only communists here are the old guys in Bejing. Unreal . .

Between the budget and trade deficits, the US is 1 trillion dollars in the hole this year. Here is where your $$ is going. Will there be a bust out? Most likely. However, when that happens, the US will implode into a pile of debt. China on the other hand, will be ready to explode during the next expansion off the foundation of productive assets they are currently in the process of building, creating, and aquiring. A paradigm shift indeed.

Comments

• Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    and another big thank you to good ol'e uncle "Hill" Billy Clinton [:(] I assure you much of that money will go directly to weapons research, development and procurement.

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Couldn't have said it better!

Delta.gif

tn_people112.gif
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a clinton fan, but I'd LOVE to hear how he is completely responsible for this.........remember........BUSH the First started NAFTA........NOT CLINTON!

Merc (who notes the cheap American consumer is to blame as much as anyone else! TIGHTWADS!)

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I love it... it's ALWAYS Clinton's fault! I'd laugh if it weren't such a pathetic knee-jerk reaction.

And why does it have to be someone's "fault"? Maybe, just maybe, the world's oldest continuous civilization knows how to make a buck or two? I mean, call me crazy, but when a culture gets to be thousands of years old, chances are they've been there and done that at least twice. "Oh, you guys had a civil war? Yeah, we had about fifteen of those... last century."

And we have a choice - hitch our wagon to it and reap SOME benefits or insulate ourselves and become France. In other words, economic isolation just doesn't work. India tried it for the first fifty years of their existence as an independent nation and found out that unless you like eating monkeys and dirt, it sucks to close yourself off from the world economy.

I honestly don't think the United States will slide from the number one spot anytime soon, however. Lacking any ruinous wars (oops), we should muddle along quite nicely with an economy fully four to ten times the size of China's. And their gain is not necessarily our loss - if we're smart about it, we can make it everyone else's loss![;)]