In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pentagon Announces Charges In USS Cole Bombing

mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon said Monday it is charging a Saudi Arabian with "organizing and directing" the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole -- and will seek the death penalty.

Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Hartmann, legal adviser to the U.S. military tribunal system, said charges are being sworn against Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, a Saudi of Yemeni descent, who has been held at the military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, since 2006.

The charges still must be approved by a Defense Department official who oversees military tribunals set up for terrorism suspects.

Hartmann said the allegations include conspiracy to violate laws of war, murder, treachery, terrorism, destruction of property and intentionally causing serious * injury.

Seventeen American sailors were killed when the Navy destroyer was attacked in the Yemeni port of Aden as it refueled.

Al-Nashiri told a hearing at Guantanamo Bay last year that he confessed to helping plot the bombing only because he was tortured by U.S. interrogators.

CIA Director Michael Hayden said early this year that al-Nashiri was among terrorist suspects subjected to waterboarding in 2002 and 2003 while being interrogated in secret CIA prisons.

Asked at a Pentagon press conference how a trial could go forward under those circumstances, Hartmann said all evidence -- including the issue of torture or abuse -- would be before the tribunal.

Comments

• Options
    mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see if I've got this right. The accused USS Cole mastermind is Saudi, the Twin Towers bombers were mostly Saudi and Osama Bin Laden is Saudi. Yet we attacked Iraq and are now looking at Iran.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    A Saudi is being charged with the bombing of the USS Cole?

Awesome! That's all the proof we need to invade Guatemala!

Victory and glory, here we come![}:)]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey

tell ya what: you go down there first, set up supply depots, cultivate contacts with the locals, do some recon, and the rest of us will be right behind you.

Get over it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mowart
    Let's see if I've got this right. The accused USS Cole mastermind is Saudi, the Twin Towers bombers were mostly Saudi and Osama Bin Laden is Saudi. Yet we attacked Iraq and are now looking at Iran.

Go back in the house. The bright light is hurting your brain and Art Bell is about to come on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

tell ya what: you go down there first, set up supply depots, cultivate contacts with the locals, do some recon, and the rest of us will be right behind you.

Get over it.
    I'll do ya one better: how about I strut around in a flight suit, declare victory, and then get thousands of other people maimed and killed?

That seems to be the standard by which you choose your presidents, right?

And so what if I don't go in and do all the prep work? When Bush decides to get his lily white hands dirty for a change, I might be motivated to give half a $#!t about what his supporters think.[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

Get over it.
    I'll do ya one better: how about I strut around in a flight suit, declare victory, and then get thousands of other people maimed and killed?

That seems to be the standard by which you choose your presidents, right?

And so what if I don't go in and do all the prep work? When Bush decides to get his lily white hands dirty for a change, I might be motivated to give half a $#!t about what his supporters think.[}:)]

you'll never be motived to "give half a $#!t about what his supporters think" because you'll never have enough mental faculties to stop taking your cues from Hairy, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, John Kerry, MoveOn.org, Algore, and other assorted brain dead pond scum.[;)][}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:you'll never be motived to "give half a $#!t about what his supporters think" because you'll never have enough mental faculties to stop taking your cues from Hairy, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, John Kerry, MoveOn.org, Algore, and other assorted brain dead pond scum.Find one post of mine where I say I support Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, MoveOn.Org, John Kerry, etc., and I'll give you a cookie.

Oh wait, you can't. Because it doesn't exist... kind of like Bush's winning war record, your opposition to the Patriot Act, and Cheney's humanity.[}:)][;)]