In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

my ford is Leaking coolant

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My dad owns a 96 Ford bronco,and here is the problem right after start up and after it idles for a few minutes it leaks a small amount
of coolant from the lower passenger side of the truck through what appears to be a drain hole in the radiator support then Stops.
it does not leak when cold or running on the highway JUST a little after start up.I checked all the hoses and they are fine and cant see any leaks anywhere in the radiator either.we dont have the funds to replace the radiator yet if thats what poblem is.Anyone expiernce with this before with thier ford? any advice?

use_deer.jpg

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    After the vehicle warms up and is running in it's normal operating temperature range have you looked under the vehicle at that spot to see if it is possibly blowing any amount of fluid or steam? If it is a hole that's when it should be most appearant when the pressure in the cooling system is at it's peak.

aliens.jpg
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does not leak when its very hot.

use_deer.jpg
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    Here's a link. If it is a hole, here's something that will get you by until you get the $ for a new radiator.

http://www.jbweld.net/permoseal.html
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it's not from the little overflow tube that comes from the plastic resivior mounted on the passenger side (I believe most are mounted on the passenger side), how full is it?

aliens.jpg
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you have a lot on miles on it it may be the water pump bearing seal, this means a new (or rebuilt) w.p.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it has only a 100K.

use_deer.jpg
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:it does not leak when cold or running on the highway
    65mph I'd like to see you check that[:D][:D][:D]

my guess is that it's coming out of the over flow tank.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    FORD = Found On Road Dead
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the overflow tube for cracks and its' connections to the radiator neck and to the reservoir. When the radiator cools overnight the the coolant in the radiator cools, contracts and the vacuum sucks coolant from the reservoir into the radiator. On startup and warmup, the coolant heats up and expands, pushing some coolant back into the reservoir through the overflow tube. If you're lucky the tube is cracked.
  • BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Ford. Just be glad that it is only leaking coolant...

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could just be a loose hose.

When the metal expands the leak stops or it evaporates on the hot radiator.

I had the same problem on a car but it was not a Ford.

I measured it and cut it twice, and it's still too short!