In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

MISSOURI handgun buyers PLEASE respond!

meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have a question for you, well two in fact.

First, what process do I have to go through to buy a handgun in Missouri? I just moved from KCK to KCMO and I don't know about the law here.

Second, is it legal for me to just pop over the border to KS and buy one there?

Thanks for your help!

Meunke

Happiness is giving a paintball double-tap to your opponent's center of mass before he even realizes you're there.
Ahhhh... the glory of a successful ambush!

Comments

• leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Mo., you have to purchase a pistol permit, for each pistol you buy, at the sheriff's office in your county of residence. The fee will be $5 or $10, depending on the sheriff. Some counties make you wait for a background check, some counties will do it on the spot. Then you can take your permit to your FFL and buy your gun. Some counties will expect you to have a gun purchased and will ask for all the info on the gun the permit will be used for. Some counties will issue you a permit for the intent to buy. Ask you sheriff's office. The deputy at my sheriff's office prints out the permit when she sees me coming in the door.
    I believe you can still go to Ks. and buy a gun. The Kansas dealer will let you know that when he asks for your drivers license when you buy something. I live in S.W. Mo. and have friends who buy in Ks. and Ok. all the time. Again, call your sheriff's office.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to meet you meunke.

To buy a handgun in KCMO (or anywhere in Jackson County) you have to go fill out the application and pay the fee at one of two sheriff's office locations (not the city police). One is at the sheriff's office "window" at the courthouse on 12th street (downtown); the other is at the sheriff's main office bldg at Lake Jacomo in Blue Springs. I'd reccomend the Lake Jacomo location - it seems to be quicker and you their open more hours. The location downtown is only open a few hours a day, something stupid like 9:30-11:00 & 1:30-4:00. If you work, it's not possible to make it there. I just go out to the other location on Saturdays. After you fill out the app, you have to wait 5 days, then pick it up where you filled it out, and take it to the dealer and buy your gun.

Second, you can buy a gun from a KS dealer, they just have to do a transfer to a MO dealer; however, it is easier to buy from a MO dealer - that way you don't have to pay a transfer fee.

Also, to follow up on lead's post - in Jackson County, you don't have to buy the gun first. They just issue the permit blank (as far as the gun info) and the dealer fills that info in when you buy it.

Hope that answers your question.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

One last question:
    "They just issue the permit blank (as far as the gun info) and the dealer fills that info in when you buy it."
    - Does that mean I have to go back to the county office and turn the slip in?

Thanks!

Happiness is giving a paintball double-tap to your opponent's center of mass before he even realizes you're there.
    Ahhhh... the glory of a successful ambush!
    edited November -1
    Skywatcher, thanks for adding more pertinent info. Just curious though, in Lawrence Co. we only pay $5 for a permit and you usually have it in 10-15 minutes. What do you have to pay up there? Not trying to rub it in, I think we've got it good and I've been telling others to let our sheriff's office know we appreciate it.

edited November -1
    Meunke, down here, the FFL sends in the permit after he sells you the gun. You don't have to go back.

• Patriots49Patriots49 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must correct SkyWatcher on one point. The Jackson Co Sherrif at the JACO courthouse in downtown KCMO (12th and Oak) no longer processes any applications. You may pick up an application there but any processing is done at the Lake Jacomo sherrifs station off Woods Chappel Rd. Found that out the hard way! I work downtown and it was so easy to get to that loacation. Now it's a 30 minute drive each way and $10 for the transfer fee. Those are good for multiple handguns and for 30 days, so if you bought 5 guns, they wouldn't charge you 10 per gun. The dealer should file the paper work for you. He should also fill out the other copy you will get for your records. (The sherrif will issue a duplicate copy for you.) What ever else it is...it just a big pain in the butt!

"You cannot conquer America." -William Pitt, 1777
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patriots - that's good to know about the downtown office - I haven't been down there for about a year and a half or so and might have tried it.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • Patriots49Patriots49 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SW - It sucks either way. I hate going down there because they always seem to pose what I deem as inappropiate questions to your usage of specific firearms and why you would need such a large caliber or a handgun is a small caliber and build and they say
    "You realize that there is no conceal carry law and that is the intent of this weapon ideally", things like that. None of it is there business, but I also get questions about a traffic probation, but I have never been turned down, no reason to I suppose. It just irks me that they question your consitutional right to carry.[:(!]

"You cannot conquer America." -William Pitt, 1777