In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bushy's No Child Left Behind Isn't working

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Program failed big time here in SC. Not one High School met the criteria. Some states are not taking state funding to meet the goals. What a mess..

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Sounds like more of a South Carolina problem to me. Why would it work other places but not there?

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not working Pennsylvania either.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    This would be an interesting subject to do some research on. Where is it working, and why. Where is it not working, and why. And, what is suggested as an alternative?

• Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Maybe the schools, the famlies and the teachers have to actually start working for the students?
    This is not to disparigethe many hard working and committed teachers out there. It is mainly a famlies and school problem!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    And, what is suggested as an alternative?

I have an alternative- First thing is dismantle the Department of education all together(something I might add the Republicans were saying should be done not too long ago). Then, allow the states and local governments to decide what type of testing is appropriate for their schools.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Salzo,

I can tell you an interesting story, but first let me say, kids and education should never be (but are) a political toy in my opinion. They both should be a bi-partisan subject, and we all should support what ever makes the two of them better.

Now, for the short version of the story.

I had a friend that was in school and doing a sociology study for one of his professors. Dallas had recently set up a truancy court for kids who wouldn't go to school. The parents were brought to court with the child and told it was their responsibility to get the child to school. They all had the same story. "Judge I've tried and tried, but I can't get Johnny to go to school". The judge spent the first few months telling them (most repeated times) to try again, and this time, get it done. Most of them had a long and documented history of failure to get their children to school. As you guessed, nothing changed.

After the first few months, he would see the same parents and children again and again. So this time, he changed the tactics. He sentenced the parents to a weekend in jail, and warned them next time it would be a full week, then 30 days, then removal of the children from the home. 98.4% of the parents found a way to get Johnny in school and keep him there after serving two days behind bars.

My friend presented these facts to the professor who told him he couldn't accept them as evidence because there were no studies done inside the home where the changes had taken place, only facts from one side that there was a change. He asked the professor why, when science accepts a single sided documented change when the other side cannot be monitored, and make a hypothesis as to what the change was. The professor told him that this was different because it would reflect on the family courts, family dynamics, and individuals in a negative way. Or, in other words, we don't want to blame the individuals, just a political system that allows it.

Any child left behind should be looked at to see if it was a parent's neglect rather than made a political statistic.

Again, kids and education are not political toys. They are priorities.[;)]

PS, Over the years the one big difference I've seen between the so called "liberals" and the so called "conservatives" is, the left always wants to pay for a system and bring in government to run it or to solve the problem with it, and the right wants to find out who the individual or individuals are who are making it fail, and either replace them or at least hold them accountable for their failure. I believe in accountability.

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It is going to take a while to fix the mess the Dems have done with education. I'm all for Bush's plan. Hopefully, it will motivate SOME people to get off their lazy, complacent butts and get to work, providing kids with a better education. Just my .02

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sal...Gotta' agree with you about the Dept. of Education. Think about it...who have they ever educated. Just another bureaucracy.

Mrs. Mudge teaches 4th grade in Loudoun County, VA. The first person who even intimates that she doesn't work hard is gonna' get invited outside by me.

The "No Child Left Behind" crap doesn't work....PERIOD.
    Somehow, Mr. Bush is of the impression that all children/people have the same learning capabilities. That's total BS. Then they insist on lumping the "Special Ed." student's test scores in with everyone elses.

Look at it this way...
    Imagine you're on a rifle team. Four of you are good shots, the fifth is visually impaired and can barely see 100 yards. But the rules say you must use him simply because he belongs to your shooting club. Your team can only win a competition if your average score is 700 out of 1000. You go to the range for a competition and the four guys that shoot well each shoot 900. The fifth guy shoots 100. That makes your team average 200. YOU LOSE.
    Not fair, you say? I guess I've made my point.

Same thing is going on with "No Child Left Behind". The many are being punished for the failure of the few.

Don't get me wrong. I know as well as the next guy that there are teachers out there who can't pass 5th grade math. AND there are a lot of parents who think they know better how to teach than the teachers do.

In Loudoun County, there is an unwritten policy that pretty much says that EVERY student will be passed on to the next higher grade regardless of that students performace. The students and parents are aware of this and many of the students have the attitude that: "I'm gonna' be passed no matter what I do so I'm gonna' do the least I can get away with."

Mrs. Mudge is sometimes frustrated to tears by this attitude. I think many of us here went to schools where the policy was, "You fail, you do the grade over."
    That policy is long forgotten, I'm sorry to say.

Mudge the frustrated

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mudge
    Sal...Gotta' agree with you about the Dept. of Education. Think about it...who have they ever educated. Just another bureaucracy.

Mrs. Mudge teaches 4th grade in Loudound County, VA. The first person who even intimates that she doesn't work hard is gonna' get invited outside by me.

Somehow, Mr. Bush is of the impression that all children/people have the same learning capabilities. That's total BS. Then they insist on lumping the "Special Ed." student's test scores in with everyone elses.

Look at it this way...
    Imagine you're on a rifle team. Four of you are good shots, the fifth is visually impaired and can barely see 100 yards. But the rules say you must use him simply because he belongs to your shooting club. Your team can only win a competition if your average score is 700 out of 1000. You go to the range for a competition and the four guys that shoot well each shoot 900. The fifth guy shoots 100. That makes your team average 200. YOU LOSE.
    Not fair, you say? I guess I've made my point.

Same thing is going on with "No Child Left Behind". The many are being punished for the failure of the few.

Don't get me wrong. I know as well as the next guy that there are teachers out there who can't pass 5th grade math. AND there are a lot of parents who think they know better how to teach than the teachers do.

In Loudoun County, there is an unwritten policy that pretty much says that EVERY student will be passed on to the next higher grade regardless of that students performace. The students and parents are aware of this and many of the students have the attitude that: "I'm gonna' be passed no matter what I do so I'm gonna' do the least I can get away with."

Mrs. Mudge is sometimes frustrated to tears by this attitude. I think many of us here went to schools where the policy was, "You fail, you do the grade over."
    That policy is long forgotten, I'm sorry to say.

Mudge the frustrated

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>

Hey Mudge...I wish they had that policy about 25 years ago. I kept screwing around in the 7th grade, and they sure flunked me[^] I wonder if I might have met you before...I know quite a few teachers in Loudoun.[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah Ha !! Mudge..finally a subject we can agree on. Politics aside the children are the ones getting the short end of the stick. I only wish BOTH sides could agree and get something done in Education. SC is 49 out of 50 states. My wife teaches and is working on her disertation. She is also fed up with the system.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Ah Ha !! Mudge..finally a subject we can agree on. Politics aside the children are the ones getting the short end of the stick. I only wish BOTH sides could agree and get something done in Education. SC is 49 out of 50 states. My wife teaches and is working on her disertation. She is also fed up with the system.

Amen Select-fire!!!!! It ain't the teachers!!!!!! And, it's not a political issue!!!!! It's a requirement, and neither side should play politics with it, just fix it and don't try to take credit for it!!!!

Kids and education are the future, and I don't mind investing in in that!!!!!

• rcdisrcdis Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you are wiping out the useless, the education departments in higher education could use the old zap ray.

rcdis
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong, but isn't the "no child left behind" plan cowritten by Kennedy?? If so, where is he in this criticism??

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    It's not just about state aide for education though. Think about all the in school killings that have occurred since the enactment of "No Child Left Behind". What you are talking about is essentialy a system of generational poverty, and parents that are afraid that there kids are going to have a better education than them, thereby reminding them of their own inadequacies. "I quit school in the fifth grade, no upity kid of mine is gonna get out of jr. high". But even the kids from solid middle class backgrounds struggle.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
    edited November -1
    I smell a troll![}:)]

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not working here. The schools flunk out and then they lower the bar. Go figure.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mudge

My wife says the exact same thing. She teaches junior high, and has a few "learning support(uhhh Mudge-you cant say special ed anymore)" classes.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh well. It sure helps me at work when I have to do battle with folks that espouse the types of opinions that might be found on www.objector.org
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can one of you guys give me a condensed version of the criteria of the federal program? With Calif's budget woe's I have had about six large schools close in my county. Those kids need to go somewhere! and all the local schools are grossly (45-55 kids per class) over crowded.

Seems to me my local board of supervisors and city/county council are more worried saving a worthless piece of sage brush and a 5 legged toads than local schools. [:(!]

I think this topic may hold the key to some of my own local issues.

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
    edited November -1
    I worked in the educational system in NYS for 3 years. Granted, that isn't a long time but it was about as much as i could stand. Let me tell you a little story about where my opinion of the 'No Child Left Behind"policy was shaped...
    I worked in an 'early intervention' program in our city school system, the type of program that is supposed to target children that are at risk, and provide the proper intervention to assure their school success, and overall success. My first learning experience in the policy of the "No Child..." came in the form of a charming little boy in kindergarden named Tommy. Tommy had tendancies to approach frustrating situations with aggressive behaviors. I always figured it was a combination of having two older brothers, and too much pro wresting. Cute kid, smart, nice, normal parents.... I was the second half of a tag-team of social worker,(who worked with the child on his issues), and parent advocate/home visitor(ME, who worked with the family on behavioral interventions that they mught try at home, and a liason between the parents and the school). Tommy's dad asked me to attend his parent teacher confernce, because he had a real problem with the fact that his little boy was describing himself as having 'anger problems'. So I approached the teacher with this concern, and to my surprise,the following week I was called on the carpet, because I did not support the position of the teacher, thereby not supporting her ultimate position of authority in the classroom. Made my plea, was told that the title of 'parent/advocate' was just for paper, to get the grant money. My job was acctually to unilaterally support the decision of the classroom teacher. Silly, stupid me.
    Now, anyone who has ever spent any time with a five year old knows that they only give you the illusion of control, right? If they don't respect you,they run rough-shot over you...
    There was a little boy named Lucas. Lucas was a great kid with a really crappy home life. Mom's boyriend was a d$%# whose favorite form of discipline for Lucas and his little brother was to make them perform military-style leg lifts. Needless to say, homelife was less than desirable. Teacher brought Lucas to my office one morning, totally exasperated, "you do something with him." and left him. Lucas then proceeded to begin to tear apart my office,pushing things off of shelves and so forth. He then noticed my fishtank,,"Oh! You got fish!" Immediately,he settled down. I reminded him about why he was brought to my office, and told him that my fish needed someone that they could rely onto feed them every morning. I would speak to his teacher every afternoon, and as long as I got a positive report from her, he would be 'the man for the job'. The next day, I am again called on the carpet for usurping the authority of the teacher. She stated that I was 'rewarding him for his bad behavior'. I stated that any of Lucas' rewards were contingent on his positive classroom behavior, but again I was repremanded for stepping on the teacher's feet. Epilogue: Both boys were classified, and therefore removed from a regular classroom. Makes for great stats, sure.... But what about the individual child? Two bright,intelligent children,both of them removed from a 'regular' classroom because they pose a challenge to the teacher,and an insult to her state 'standards'. Isn't that what you went to college and got a master's degree for, so that you could be as effective of a teacher for as many children as you could?
    No Child Left Behind, my *...

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a sister that has taught in the Virginia School system for 28 years and another sister who has taught in the Tennessee school system for 18 years and both have post graduate degrees. Neither have a good word to say about the current trend of education. Passing the big test is all that is important anymore. They have to spend most of their time with the students that don't care if they are left behind and the good students that want to better themself are left out. Time will tell, but I believe the "no child left behind" will end up a big failure. It is underfunded and if the trend continues will drive a lot of good teacher to find other work.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC...Mrs. Mudge has been at Farmwell Station Middle school in Ashburn, Tolbert Elementary in Leesburg, and is now at Mt. View Elem.
    in Purcelville.

Mudge the teacher's pet

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey! You guys want to hear a very good and very sad one. My son was having difficulty in grade school years 2 thru 4 in language arts and math. All of his teachers kept telling my wife and I that he is just doing fine and he is just a very nice and polite kid and all the girls just love him. I got tired of hearing about that.Anyways we demanded that he be tested at his grade level and found out that he was behind like I always did say and they found out that he was a little bit of a slower learner than the average child. So the school recommended that they school him in acouple slower classes. We agreed.He then had an IEP with the school.( independent education program) They were to follow the IEP teaching schedule and later found that a teacher was giving my son first grade work when he was in fifth grade and he was at a fourth grade level at the time. To make a long story short due to all the problems we had with the school district we consulted with an attorney in Jefferson county hear in Ohio.We live in columbiana. The attorney told us that we had a very good case and would win but there is just one problem. The Judges that we have here in col. county would throw it out of court because they will not allow a suit like this to reach their courts. Attorney told us that we would win in 5 other counties that he knows of.That is the problem with alot of the schools today. Not all of them but we have alot of teachers that only care that their pay check are in their mail box every week.We now have to be very stearn with the school and teachers of how we want things done with our son and everything has been going just great. I have to do my 40 hour week job and keep up with the teachers of what they are doing to abide by the rules of my sons IEP.

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
    edited November -1
    If your child has been classified as IEP, it is the schools responsibility to ensure that he is provide with appropriate educaion.

edited November -1
    Just found this. Seems Utah want to leave children behind also.
    www.nytimes.com/2004/02/11/national/11UTAH.html?th

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Hey, rcrxs old lady, I know they are suppose to but if they do not do it properly and have poor teachers we have to do some of their job if they do not. Thant is why my wife and I consulted with an attorney. The schools are protected to much and that is why if you are not careful your child will be left behind. We tried a lawsuit and the judges threw it out of court. The 2 judges would not allow it. To me the two aren't worth s---t. It is a shame that the teachers and schools are like this today. Not all teachers.

edited November -1
    Yes, I've also met many brilliant, dedicated teachers, on whom I do not wish to offend with my rant. I truly do believe that most of them get into the profession for the love of children, and because they have a desire to pass on a gift. Unfortunately, like so many other professions (nursing comes to mind), the ones who get into it for the right reasons get so worn down by the beauracratic BS that they burn out fast. This particular teacher of whom I was speaking in my 'rant' stated to me once that she didn't even like kids! Great! Then why not become an elementary school teacher? Because she had her tenure, and therefore had it made. Excellent income, job security until retirement in the school system. Pretty good gig, eh?

edited November -1
    Yes it is a shame in alot of cases. I feel that in some cases that the teachers are affraid to tell parents that their child is doing poorly or is behind because it may make them look bad. When it comes down to what my wife and I went thru and still going thru I personnaly hold the school superintendent responsible 100%. We tried dealing with ours and I cannot even stand to look at the man anymore for what he promissed us for our son and never received. To top it off he makes 90,000.00 a year plus 500.00 a month car allowance and isn't worth s--t. I just have to keep up with my part time job with the school district!!

• 357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    Sounds like more of a South Carolina problem to me. Why would it work other places but not there?

It's a disaster in most every state because he hasn't authorized proper funding for it.