In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gobble Gobble Mr. Tom

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hi, I was just wondering what everyone uses as their spring turkey weapon, thanks!

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ithaca model 37 12 guage.
    Xfull Ithaca choke
    Remington #5 turkey loads- 2 3/4

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    11/87 3 inch mag remington 4s

870 with a holosight and 3.5 inch winchester supremes

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester model 1200, 2&3/4 turkey load 6 shot

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 1100 2 3/4 remchoke extrafull turkey, #6 shot

Mossburg 835 3 1/2 mossburg stock turkey choke #6 shot.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Ruger #1V 220 Swift
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone hunt with a 20 gauge?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Shoot Trap and hunt with a 20 guage.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ithaca Turkeyslayer Storm Model 37 12 ga 2-3/4 #4 Winchester shells

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had much luck with the Spring Turkeys,But carry a Remington 870 express 12 gauge[:D].

use_deer.jpg
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Mossberg Ulti-Mag.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 11-87 3" mags no. 4 shot full choke.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll be using an Ithaca 37 w/Turkey "Retro Kit" (just like salzo's) with a Leupold Vari-X II Shotgun scope and a Carlson's turkey choke rated for the Hevi-Shot that I plan to run through it (3").
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I'll be using an Ithaca 37 w/Turkey "Retro Kit" (just like salzo's) with a Leupold Vari-X II Shotgun scope and a Carlson's turkey choke rated for the Hevi-Shot that I plan to run through it (3").

Idsman- You are gonna use a scope? I have never used one for turkey, but have been toying with the idea of putting a burris scout scope on it, mounted directly to the barrel. I just came into possession of a 1.5x Burris intermediate eye relief scope.
    The sights that Ithaca supplied with the retro kit are junk(imho). I ordered a set of williams deerslayer sights, to replace the existing sights, but hey have not come in. If they do not come in, I might try the scout scope idea.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

The sights that Ithaca supplied with the retro kit are junk(imho).

Salzo, are the sights that came with your retro kit the same as the ones on my TurkeySlayer which are TRUGLO fiber optic sights?
    Also click on attached website for the new combo Deeerslayer/Turkeyslayer gun. What is your opinion on this gun? Sometimes when manufactures combine products you tend to lose some of the good things of the products when sold seperately. For example TV and DVD combos, etc.
    http://www.ithacagun.com/news/pressr/combo.shtml

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    Blackiebooger- I really do not know anything about it except what I have read on the sight. I love all of my IthACA shotguns, but I do not have any that are less than 30 years old. I do not know how the new products are these days.
    What do you think of the turkeyslayer storm? That kind of peaked my interest, but right now I have enough shotguns.
    I know the new storm guns have "fixed barrels", but I wonder how much that really matters. My rifled barrels on my Ithaca shoot great, my smoothbore barrels shoot great, and my turkey barrel shoots great-dont know how much better they would shoot if fixed on the gun. Interchangeing barrels on my Ithaca does not seem to diminish the accuracy any, but maybe there is something to these fixed barrels.
    Assuming you did not get the red dot sight that was on the link, I am assuming you got the same sights that I got(tru glo). I have gotten three barrels directly from Ithaca that have these sights, and each time I had to call Ithaca because the sights were broken when they arrived. They seem cheap to me. And I do not like how the front sight has play in it. Granted, not much play, but I really dont like the idea of that front sight flapping around.
    I ordered the Williams deerslayer sights, which will fit on any "deerslayer" type system(turkey barels included). I have not seen them, but am relying on the fact that the williams sights I have had, have been great sights.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag 3 1/2 in magnums.One of my favorite game animals to hunt is the wild turkey.And to think it almost became our National ensigna?I cant wait until they start Gobbleing!!!!!!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Blackiebooger- I really do not know anything about it except what I have read on the sight. I love all of my IthACA shotguns, but I do not have any that are less than 30 years old. I do not know how the new products are these days.
    What do you think of the turkeyslayer storm? That kind of peaked my interest, but right now I have enough shotguns.
    I know the new storm guns have "fixed barrels", but I wonder how much that really matters. My rifled barrels on my Ithaca shoot great, my smoothbore barrels shoot great, and my turkey barrel shoots great-dont know how much better they would shoot if fixed on the gun. Interchangeing barrels on my Ithaca does not seem to diminish the accuracy any, but maybe there is something to these fixed barrels.
    Assuming you did not get the red dot sight that was on the link, I am assuming you got the same sights that I got(tru glo). I have gotten three barrels directly from Ithaca that have these sights, and each time I had to call Ithaca because the sights were broken when they arrived. They seem cheap to me. And I do not like how the front sight has play in it. Granted, not much play, but I really dont like the idea of that front sight flapping around.
    I ordered the Williams deerslayer sights, which will fit on any "deerslayer" type system(turkey barels included). I have not seen them, but am relying on the fact that the williams sights I have had, have been great sights.

Salzo, after receiving your response I remembered that the rear sight on my Turkeyslayer was missing and that I had called a couple of months ago and they were going to send me another one. They never sent it. I just got off the phone with them and they are sennding it out to me today. I have the same sights as the retro-fit kits. They said they changed the design of the rear sight and it is no longer a dove-tail sight but a pegged one. They stated that a lot of the older type dove-tail sights were getting broken during shipment.
    My front sight doesn't have any play in it. The front sight is anchored with a screw directly in back of the red dot. When you get your Williams sights let me know how you like them.
    I have an Ithaca 12 gauge model 37 featherlight that my wife bought me as a wedding gift. (No, our wedding was not a "shotgun wedding[:D][:D]). I lke the Ithacas because of the fit and balance when bringing them up to my shoulder. As a far as the turkeyslayer both times it was fired at a turkey, it killed the turkeys. I have no complaints about it except the dove-tail rear sight.
    Tim said you might come up to northern PA to hunt some turkey. There is good turkey hunting in McKean and Potter counties. There is also good hunting near where I live in Erie County. I hunt just a couple miles from my house. A couple of years ago the Game Commision trapped 38 gobblers in this area and sold them to other states for $800.00 each. I was told a number of them were sent to Michigan. We still see a lot of gobblers in this area. Crawford County is alos real good for turkey.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    Blackie- Hopefully the new rear sight will be better. Maybe there is something wrong with my front sight. I tightened that screw as much as possible, yet there is still a little play in it. The fact that it is plastic also bothers me.
    I do not think I will be going up for the spring season. I usually go up during the small game/turkey season. I have gotten two turkey in 10 years going up to Potter-the years I didnt get a turkey I didnt even see any. I dont know thearea well enough, and if I am "lucky" Ill get a turkey. And if I am not lucky, I can still get a grouse or some squirrel. During the spring, if I aint lucky, I cant shoot anything. The fall season is "more bang for my buck".
    I have two model 37 twelve guages. One is set up just for turkey, the other I use for deer and small game/turkey, using a rifled barrel for deer. I also have just the receiver for another 12 guage Ithaca. Unfortunately, it is a pre interchangeable barrel one. I was going to send it to Ithaca and have a rifled barrel fitted to it, but for what the cost would be I would be better off buying a new gun. I have plenty of barrels, just no receiver to fit them on. My needle in a haystack search has been looking for a post 855,000 receiver ONLY, so that I can put my rifled barrel on it and make it exclusively a deer gun.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I don't turkey hunt. Which is a shame, because I have 5 trophy toms on my favorite deer stand, which just happens to be on an unknown parcel of PUBLIC land here in the State of Illinois. And I'm keeping it a secret[;)].
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Sold my 11/87 with cantilever barrel cause I was tired of carrying around a club, I bought a cheap Charles Daly Camo with fiber optics, and that is what Im gonna use for spring Gobbler!!! In the fall I use my Savage 24 222/20 Oa!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My gun of choice would be the ithaca 37a turkey slayer,but seeing i couldnt afford it when i was purchasing a new one 2 years ago,i ended up with a remington 870 turkey express which has been fine,but i shot my first two birds with a cheap old single shot new england arms,so i guess they all will work...[:)]Im just glad i can go every year...LOVE IT[^]Blackie booger im jealous