In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1950 Winchester model 75 sporter?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
One of you old timers has to have or have had one. Found one in pretty good shape with a very high grade walnut stock though someone added a Lyman target peep site to the reciever and emoved the dovetaied rear site. Looks like a nice 22 bolt gun. Anyone have an opinion on it. Looks very similar to the Model 43 I got yesterday but like I said, the wood is exceptionally figured and polished.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oldtimer? You ol'coot!!![8D]
    The 75 was available from the late 1930's to the late 1950's[1958??]

It was available in a Target version as well as a Sporter. The sporter was checkered, Target was not. The Target came standard with a Lyman receiver sight. The Sporter was available with a Lyman as an option. On the Target, the receiver sight extended well behind the rear of the receiver.On the Sporter it was almost flush. They are top of the line 22's, only exceeded by Winchesters Model 52. Not up on current value, but they are top notch!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Guess I'll have to get 'er. Good thing I put my name on it and had them hold it in the back for me.

• wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 75T in average shape $400.00+ Model 75 sporter seems to bring a little more. I excellent shape it's not unusual to see them bring $600.00-800.00.

I have a 75T that was made in 1938, that was the first year of production. The serial # on mine is 1005. It has Redfield peep sights and also came with a period Lyman 5A scope. Original clips for these and the 43 command premium prices, don't lose them.

If you keep coming up with these classic beautys, we'll make a pre 64 nut out of you yet.[;)]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    Well if you recall last year I was blue because I thought I had almost every gun I wanted. These old Winchesters are hard to find and very pretty guns too. I have been lucky in getting to them just as they come in the shop as happened today. I had made an initial offer of $400 in cash or trade just because it appealed to me, but my friend who owns the place said he got it for a good price and that $350 would be plenty. Glad to hear it is a good buy at that price. Did they all have that marvelous wood? Don't see that quality stock on many 22's.

edited November -1
    Winchester offered several similar bolt guns over the years. They made several with interchangeable clips (mags) The first was a model 57 target, then the 52s, 69s, and 75s were produced. many were offered at the same time. The model 52 was the be all, end all target rifle. However the 69s and 75s are pretty desirable. The older the Winchester, the better chance of pretty wood. When you get into the 50s good walnut was getting scarce and you see more straight grain walnut, instead of the burl or cross grained pretty stuff. If a piece of stock wood wasn't up to standard (sap wood) it was cut down and used on more economical rifles like the boys single shots and the 1906s. The cheaper rifles used a lot of gumwood instead of walnut.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • Smokin GunsSmokin Guns Member Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    Same as wundudnee is sayin'...If ya find 'em get 'em...[;)]

JIGGA_1062957035_rifles_031.jpg

barbed_w.gif
    army_soldier2.gifamericashapeflag.gifgun1.gif
    barbed_w.gif
    edited November -1
    Here is my 43 and my 75T The 43 has an older Redfield 4x and the 75T has Redfield75 Peeps.

picture.JPG

75T

picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    When I pick it up next week I'll have three old ones. The 43, the 1890 and the 75. I don't know if it hurts the value, but the two I have are sure a lot of fun to shoot.

edited November -1
    Now on to 52s, 47s, 57s, 59s, 60s, 67s, 68s, 69s, 1902s, 1904s, 1900s, thumbtriggers, 1906s 61s, 62s, 63s, then you can start collecting odditys, special finish, ingraved, barrel lengths, calibers. It's a sickness, I tell you.[:p]

standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    When I pick it up next week I'll have three old ones. The 43, the 1890 and the 75. I don't know if it hurts the value, but the two I have are sure a lot of fun to shoot.

Shoot to your hearts content....they can take it[8D]The only ones I wouldn't shoot is an unfired, New in the Box.

Its also about time for you to start checking out some Model 70's!!!!

edited November -1
    I could use a book on just older Winchesters.

edited November -1
    George Madis-The Winchester Book.

edited November -1
    Thanks