In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Defending yourself with a gun?

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My wifes uncle picked up a hitchhiker a few years ago and the guy shot her uncle 5 times. Her uncle took his gun away and beat him with it then left him along side the road. The guy stayed right where her uncle left him until the police picked him up. Her uncle still has a bullet lodged in his cheek from the incident (that and a bad hand).

If he had shot the guy with the guys gun he might have been in trouble. Her cousin was in a fight in New Mexico and a guy pulled a knife on him. He cut the guys throat with the guys own knife (guy lived) and is serving a long sentance. Would this apply to guns too?

What do you think Rugerman?

Mad Dog

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis- I think there's to many variables in your question that we don't know about to answer it fairly, I'd like to say no matter what you have the right to defend yourself, but to many sheep in the heard just don't believe it these days, so it's a tough one to call.

My expierences in life tell me things happen really quickly in bad situations, and you have to react accordingly, later on in the court house your actions can be broken down by monday morning quarterbacks determining all the "other" options you may or may not have had, I still like the saying "better to be judged by twleve than carried by six." How well justice holds up in the matters of self defense is sadly, a crap shoot in our society these days.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way to go Travis this same subject caused half of my family to move out of town. Now I have to watch it do the same thing to the forum. [;)]

psalms 16
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old06: I am starting to think the Ruger270man knows his stuff.[:D]

Mad Dog
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright Travis, you got me thinking I got reeled into something here, what's the deal?

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well he just may know his stuff, but I would rather use a rock or a pointed stick in most any case anyone could bring up. I did apply for a CCF for my compact fork (5 prong model) just cant take it on planes.

psalms 16
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can be assured that anytime you have to use deadly force to defend your life you're going to have a lot of questions to answer, you open yourself up to civil lawsuits, etc. It is not a choice to be taken lightly.
    Given the sketchy information of the above scenario, I'd say there's a good chance you'd be in trouble. However, I'd defend myself first and answer questions and "pay the piper" later...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave W; The story is real but I was posting the story because Ruger270man said there are 4 things you can not post. Just trying my luck was all.[;)]

Mad Dog
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were told not to post these. [:D] [}:)] [:D] [}:)] [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    In NM, you do not have to let someone draw blood before you can DEFEND yourself; however, once you disarm your attacker, you aren't supposed to assault them. The reason your relative is in jail was that he left a witness.
    The easy answer in NM is to stop the assault with whatever force is available; pick up 2 friends and a shovel, and head for some open road-there's a lotta culverts 'tween here an' Austin!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I think it's just WRONG to use violence in these situations. The attackers need caring counselling and compassionate love.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every situation must be judged by the person. To say everyone has equal judgement would be a false statement. I'm sure everyone remembers the moron in Louisianna a few years back that, on Halloween, shot a Japanese exchange student at his door with a .44 magnum. He thought the masked individual was there to harm him. Given the circumstances, the day, the size of the individual, no physical contact made, the mask, had I been on the jury I would have convicted him of criminal stupidity. As it was the jury cut him loose.

While everyone should have the right to CARRY a weapon, not everyone should have the right to USE a weapon.

Personally, I would (and have) use my weapon rather than suffer at the hand of criminals. So far, my judgement has been sound.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I don't go looking for trouble so if some guy wants to assault me or mine in public he's going to have to deal with the outcome. I don't believe I would waste the energy digging a hole. I sure wouldn't hang around to see what the after the fact police report had to say about it. Too many people think you should ask the crook to wait while you dial 911 and have the calvary save the day. Fortunately, they are a dying breed.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems