In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I think I understand, thanks to Winchester

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just out back shooting the Model 43 22 hornet. Three inch groups the size of a nickle shooting off hand with a 6x scope. With a rest I'm sure I could get all three in the same hole. The only other rifle I have that can do this is the Springfield M2, but it weighs atleast twice as much and is a foot longer. Very cool gun.
The 1890 model in 22WRF functions perfectly. For a hundred year old gun it too is pretty good at hitting the 10 ring.
I have a bunch of 22's that are the state of the art these days, but these old guns can outshoot them easily. Thanks to these relics my understanding of what accuracy can be has been upped to another level. I am really enjoying these little rifles and that is saying a lot coming from a shotgunner/pistol freak.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the Club!!![8D]

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, bigdaddy, stretch that 25 yards out to about 100 and see what happens.[:D]

Clouder..
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    Three inch groups the size of a nickle....
    Big Daddy
    my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Ummm you got some awful big nickles in your part of the world? How much does a whole roll of them weigh?[}:)]

I'm assuming you realy mean "three shot groups".
    The old ones are a lot of fun arn't they.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Yes I meant three shot groups were the size of a nickel. All the holes touching. Tried it again resting on the hood of my truck and as predicted with three shots[that's all the mag holds]there were two overlapping holes that all three shots went through. And it wasn't at 25 yards neither. It was at 65-70 yds in a high wind with dogs barking and anti tank aircraft from Bragg screaming at tree top level. At that distance the 1890 offhand did about 4 inches, I didn't try it with a rest. I noticed if the safety on the 43 is not engaged then the trigger won't set when cocked, but nly when inserting a fresh mag. That kind of threw me off a little at first 'til I figured it out.

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BDJ...

Be very, very, careful... once the Winchester bug has bitten you, it seldom lets go[:D]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    If they are all as good a shooters as these then I'm more than willing to get hooked. Sign me up I'm a Winchester man!![:D] Their shotguns still suck though.