In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow Shooters, little advice please....

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
To all the bow shooters here, what are some good stretches to do prior to shooting your bow? My newest longbow (a hickory indian bow from Rudderbows archery) has a 31 inch draw and a 60# pull. If i havent shot it for a while when i first go to draw it feels like im about to rip my arm off! Actually i can just tell my shoulder isnt warmed up, so i was wondering if any of you have any advice on what stretches help to warm the shoulder up for bow shooting.
Thanks!

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    your draw and pull on that longbow makes me happy you own it and not me...woowee

I have a rubber band looking thing I found one time at walmart or some place like that. It has two square handles and rubber band looking material (of course). I slip one handle over my boot then pull up on the other. I always make sure my body is completely upright, no slumping. I pull on that until it burns and that helps me. A lot of time I sit and watch tv in the evenings while doing this. I even have one stand that has a bit to much burlap around it, but it conceals me enough I can take rubber band along hunting..

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1)
    If you are right handed, raise your arm all the way up with your hand straight up over your head, like you are pointing at the sky over your head. Now bend your arm at the elbow and bring your hand down behind your head, with your palm facing your back, and place your hand between your shoulder blades. With your left hand grasp your right elbow, and pull it backwards as much as is tolerable, hold for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times total.

2)
    Stick your right arm straight out in front of you as if you are pointing at something in front of you. Now cross your right arm in front of you to the left side of your body, as if you ar pointing at someone to the left of your left shoulder. Take your left hand/arm, and come up underneath your right arm, with the palm of the left hand facing you, and catch your right tricep with your forearm on the left arm. Pull the right arm in with the left forearm and to the left simutaneously. Try to pull your right shoulder as far to your left and hold it for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times total.

3)
    Put both arms behind your back with your fingers intertwined at the base of your back. Try to keep your elbows locked as much as possible. Force your hands away from your back and up, and keep standing straight when you do this. Hold for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times.

This should help your stretch out your shoulder and back sufficiently to warm the muscles up.

"Never argue with an idiot.... They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

"I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem."

Ryan
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    You said it was 60# at 31" draw, if your draw is longer than 31" then the bow becomes more stout. The farther you pull the tougher they become. I would suggest getting one of the rubber band thingies mentioned above and start working your way up.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot everyone, i really appreciate it. Up until now my heaviest pull was a 45# longbow, and i didnt notice the soarness like i do with this one.

As a matter of fact i had one of those rubberband workout dealies in a closet that i never thought of using, and used it this afternoon along with the stretches robsguns mentioned and let me tell you, IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! Got some good shooting time in today too, im getting better with this oversized stick....

Thanks again for all the help!
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not in the repetition, it's the duration. When i shot in pistol competition i would hold a 2lb weight out at arms length as long as i could,take a short rest and do it again. When i could still shoot a bow i did the same with a exerciser. One of those 2 handled, 3 springs between,type gadgets. Maybe like the one you have,anyhow,stretch it out and hold it for a 5 count a few times then try a 10 count. You'll be amazed how this will steady your aim too.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I use to shoot a 60lb recurve. I was about 16 years old before I could draw and hold it for a decent shot, but I had worked my way up from a 25lb at the age of 8 or 9 to that point. I've been shooting a single cam for the last few years and to me it seems to take a longer time from release to the point where the arrow leaves the bow. The "old fashioned" bow was a lot quicker from release to the arrow flying. Is it my imagination or is there a longer release to fly time with the pulley arrangement?

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems