In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Transmission HELP!!!

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I know engines like the back of my hand, but transmissions are another story. Anyway, I was driving out in the middle of nowhere the other night and BAM! All my transmission fluid is all over the road (and my breaks which almost killed me). I've got a 350 Turbo Hydra transmission. I was able to rig it up to fix the problem... but the thing is that I was out in the middle of nowhere (AKA outskirts of Lancaster County PA) and didn't have any transmission fluid. So I had to make the best of the situation and fill her with........... sigh........ 10W30 which I had in the trunk. My question is: Now what the heck do I do and is the transmission worth salvaging? All the sites that I checked said that oil in the transmission is a BAD thing. Anyone care to give some advice? - Toe

Comments

• ToolbabeToolbabe Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can help!!!tool babe to the rescue
    drain the trany then get and install a new filter. refill with the correct fluid and drive it a very short distance. drain abnd fill again. drive a short distance if your clutch is slippin go get it rebuilt if not drain and new filter and new fluid one more time. good to go , but recheck all tubes and hoses for leaks or holes and see that the original problem will not reoccour.
    tool babe

Master mess sargent RRG
    Flying-witch18.gif
    Oh my God! is the beginning of a prayer, not a one liner!
    We come into this life with nothing, everything after this is our treasure
  • cat-mechaniccat-mechanic Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No it won't hurt it. Do what Toolbabe said and it should be fine. What was the BAM that lost the oil? blown hose or what? Anyway it should be fine.

Nothing runs like a Deere, With a CAT on its *
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's happened to me before in a 84 Suburban (i.e. "tank"). I was driving, looked back in my rear view mirror, and a cloud of smoke was spewing out. Pulled over and tranny fluid all over the road.

What was it?---- front seal of the transmission popped out. If you can't find a hose or anything else, think front seal (between the engine and the tranny).

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    It was a hose. I had some spare hose in the trunk too. I always keep duct tape, bailing wire, and an assortment of other handy things in the trunk. Now I will start keeping transmassion fluid as well. [:D] - Toe

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toolbabe, i'm impressed! I'm overjoyed when my wife stops and calls me for a warning light, instead of driving around all day,then bringing it home to have me look at it. STEELTOE, The easier way, possibly cheaper too, is take it to a shop and have them do a flush.This cleans all the contaminates from the torque converter and the sump. Put a couple hundred miles on it and take it back for a service and filter.
  • ToolbabeToolbabe Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trap honey, im a very versitile woman and should be on your list of wild and wonderful people to know.....I cain't spell too good but Im purty to look at!

Tools sayes he keeps me around fur the cook'in [:D]

Master mess sargent RRG
    Flying-witch18.gif
    Oh my God! is the beginning of a prayer, not a one liner!
    We come into this life with nothing, everything after this is our treasure
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    List of wild and wonderful people to know
    #1: TOOLBABE
    [:D]
    Oh wait..i'm in Valentines Day trouble too! i'll have to move you down one just after Mrs. TRAP
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Drove my Buick Electra (1964) many years ago when suddenly it blew a couple of quarts of oil out the Trans. Dipstick Tube.

Everything under the hood was oil soaked.Filled it with oil to try to drive it on home.Never could find out from any Mechanics as to why this happened,but it never did it again.This was an automatic trans., I think it was a 350 G.M. Trans.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too blew the fluid out the fill tube on my wifes 92 GMC van. din'nt catch it till I saw smoke blowing out the back at 70 mph. I had to get the thing rebuilt because of the heat. Never knew why but I guess that since when I found it, the dipstick had blown out it had built up pressure probaly due to heat.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I'm not much on automatic transmissions, but since there is a fluid being heated wouldn't it need a vent of some kind? If that got stuck shut or clogged with mud wouldn't the trans burp out the excess somewhere else?

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems