In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shot my new toy today.

H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Went out and shot my new .45colt Blackhawk today. First I tried out some 200gr hard cast bullets with 8gr of Win231 then some 250gr Hornady XTP HP with 26gr of H110. WOW!!! It went from being a mild mannered cowboy gun to a full blown Dirty Harry hand cannon! I didn't notice any damage to the brass after shooting the heavier loads, but it was alot to hold onto![:D] I love this revolver!

blackhawk.jpg

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    congratulations H.S. 10-X! Sounds like a very nice piece.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a ton of fun! I cant wait to get my Vaquero.

powder_solvent.JPG

Oh Hoppe's No. 9 you are so fine.

I need to get me some more of those bullet propulsion devices.

One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    26 grains of 110 behind a 250 gr bullet, I guess it was a little hard to hold onto. That's an almost identical load to one I use in the 44 mag.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That heavy load was one I got off of www.sixguns.com. It's a little much in that size of a handgun, for me any way, but the Blackhawk handled O.K. I'll tone that one down, for more practical use.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you'll love that gun!!! i got one just like it last summer. and it's a blast to shoot!! i just need to get some differnt grips. the factory ones are a little small for my paws!![:)

Warroad.gif
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a blackhawk and i have problems with the small factory grips as well . How ever my wife loves it and says the grips are the right size [:0] But she is 5' 3' 105 pounds[:D]quote:Originally posted by mustang
    you'll love that gun!!! i got one just like it last summer. and it's a blast to shoot!! i just need to get some differnt grips. the factory ones are a little small for my paws!![:)

Warroad.gif

Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I am glad you enjoyed sixguns.com I have always liked it and found it very informative. Friendly, helpful fellows to boot.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."

NRA Life Member
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Wish I had my .357 Blackhawk back.One of two guns I ever sold.Did better offhand shooting with it than any Handgun I ever shot.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Lil Gun Powder works well in the big pistols. I like it cause it fills the case just to the bottom of the bullet in a lot of loads. Clays powder is good for light shooting target loads.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems