In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

out of place, out of time

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How many of you feel this way? I don't mean the typically Shirly McClaine response, like " I was King Arthur in another life" , but in reference to morals & values instead.
Homosexual relationships are being pushed off on us as normal. People are promoted and given preference because of race, while others are discriminated against because of race, and yet, the very ones that are largely discriminated against are labelled as being racist for noticing it. Vulgar language is accepted. The way women are treated, and the comments that they are frequently subjected to are atrocious. Lewd behavior is accepted as norm. Some of the messages put on t-shirts and vehicles would have landed you in jail many years ago. Whenever I say something or step in to put a stop to any of it, I am viewed as being a troublemaker.
Religious groups are just as bad. Because I don't have a Jesus fish on my truck, or know the words to all the songs in the book, because I don't frequent the "House of God" and have been known to pull a cork, I am some kind of heathen. But these are the same people who stand by and allow themselves to be discriminated against without protest, who put up with vulgar & lewd behavior instead of confronting it. The Bible says "The Meek shall inherit the Earth" They'll have to have it given to them, as they sure don't have the stones to take it.
Just blowing off steam, I guess. I feel like a dinosaur.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
Albert Einstein

Comments

• RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HHhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
    vipersig.jpg
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe that's part of the aging process. Perhaps each generation before us had many of the same feelings. Regardless I don't like what I am seeing and hearing in most all quarters of our society, and while I probably won't be around that many more years, I feel for those that I'll be leaving behind.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're not a dinosaur. I'm not yet 30 and I feel the same way most of the time. I often feel like I should have been born AT LEAST 50 years earlier.

But, this time and this place is what I've got to deal with, so I will. On my terms as much as possible. I'm really trying to find out a way to make my life and the life of my family more simple and "purer" and, for me at least, that means rural living and lots of time spent together.

I can (and 99% of the time do) do without the TV, the radio, interaction with popular culture. I don't advocate being a seperationist, just drawing and maintaining clear boundaries for yourself and those your responsible for. Keeps me sane.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I can see the idea that the world is going to heck in a handbasket and that the younger generation listens to noise and not music, has no respect or manners, and that things are not only not what they used to be, but far worse, is a perpetual human experience. You are not supposed to like your kids music, that is the point. They all look like each other, but not like their parents. That is the point. As far as the rest, it is here to stay.

He Dog
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The world has changed alot in the last 2004 years. It will change even more in the next 2004 years. Change is the only thing that is constant.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    With ya searcher,
    and He Dog said it well.

I've got an old photo around here somewhere,
    me and four buddies in front of "The Snack Shop",
    our teenage hangout.

We're dressed alike,
    Levi's, no belts, Levi jackets over white T's.
    Under the jackets the sleeves were rolled up
    to hold our Lucky Strikes!

Dad hated that dress style,
    thought going without a belt was sinful!
    He wore khakis and white dress shirts.

Compare then to now!!![:D]
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Styles and communication modes will always change. But there are absolutes, and adherence to these has noticeably diminished. Personal responsibility and thinking through outcomes of one's actions ...these have been decreasing for several decades. There came a time when they weren't pervading lessons taught in our homes. Or if they were, it was too much work to keep enforcing them when youngsters repeatedly challenged the limits.
    Yes, there are excellent exceptions. But I'm talking about the general run, the trend. While Socrates deplored this a long time ago, it's another society now. And it's time to teach and reinforce positive values that benefit society, not "me first," or "It's ok if you can get away with it."
    We live in an increasingly isolated world, where an individual can live through the computer. It's concievable that one could live indoors constantly, provided money keeps coming into their account.
    We need to look outward and to teach our children the same.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Remember when a man's word was his bond? Remember when a handshake on a deal was as good as a signature on a contract? Today even a signature is worthless! I agree with you searcher! And, if things don't change and some morals (religous or otherwise) are not re-implemented back into this society, we are doomed!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    This house of cards that we, as a society, have built is going to collapse.

Not sure when, but I try to be ready for it.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:How many of you feel this way?
    I do.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Its funny to hear these things. I've read newspapers from the 19th and 18th centuries and the editorials say the same things that we say now. Well we're all still here as a nation and a society. The great experiment continues!!

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems