In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Stevens single shot 25 rimfire

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I had my hands on one yesterday, with an octagon barrel, and was a take down, it was in excellent shape! I didn't buy it cause the owner told me ya can't get ammo for them anymore!! I see Classic found some ammo, maybe I should have bought it! I forget what it was called all I can think of was pardner but I know thats not it!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    How much did he want for it????

And this ammo aint cheap as far as I could find out on the net, between 50 and 70 cents a round

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Classic it was the favorite model, it had the full octagon barrel, the receiver coloration was absolutly beautiful, the gun was very old, but was in near new condition!!! He was asking $250

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Pa...

That is a very good price regardless of the ammo issue... go buy it![^]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
    edited November -1
    I don't like owning a gun I can't shoot!!! Kinda like having a car with no wheels if ya know what I mean!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Pa, it's like owning a model 1903 Winchester to me. 22"Auto" ammo is now available again, and I bought a case even though I doubt I'll ever shoot it.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Pa -

Solid side plates or picture windows? I have a half octagon Favorite in .25. A VERY nice little gun.

Nord
    edited November -1
    Nord Im really not sure now Im gonna have to go back and look!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Pa if you do not buy it, let some of us in on it please![;)] If you do buy it I know where 2 boxes of 25 short rimfire is for sale Pa. A friend of mine sells ammo at gun shows and keeps his eye out for obsolete or hard to find ammo. He has 2 boxes on Canuck 25 short rimfire for $75 a box! Yes it is high or at least I think so but that is the going rate. He also has 41 rimfire and 32 rimfire ammo. He even has some 22 Jet ammo so that gives you an iea of some of the odd ammo he does have. If you buy it and are interested in the ammo let me know and I will give you his phone number.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Just soldier a sleeve in it and shoot 22lr.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the condition you described, it would be the best $250 you ever spent!!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    Just soldier a sleeve in it and shoot 22lr.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

I have a friend that had one either rechambered or sleeved to 22 magnum. Too bad it was stolen by his drug adict brother for drug money. It was a sweet little shooter. Kil;led many a woodchuck back when we were in high school.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say grab it but don't bugger up the original barrel. Buy a replacement barrel in 22lr. I believe Numrich Arms had some made up for the Stevens Favorite. You will also need a 22 extractor and maybe a breechblock if the firing pin is too low. The favorite is being made again. If it's identical, some parts might be gotten new. I believe the Favorite had a takedown barrel so you could easily switch back.
    Look at Old Western Scrounger for 25 long or short rf ammo.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,451 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pa think of it as a savings account you can handle.

He Dog
    edited November -1
    Unless they decide to start making 25rf ammo again[which ain't gonna happen] you may as well do what you gotta do to be able to shoot it.

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pa, see my reply under Classic's thread "Ammo Collectors" in regard to fodder for this little beauty. If you should decide to buy it, I'll keep my eyes open for some ammo for you. For shooting, you want the Dominion . . . or possibly some late production Western. It's not easy to find, but you should be able to tap into some for around $50 a box.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
    edited November -1
    Teak, I just can't imagine Pa buying a gun for less than 300 and spending fifty bucks a box for ammo. I think he'd have a fit. It's a plinker so you gotta figure atleast 100 bucks every time it gets taken to the range.