In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Zippo collectors?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Got a vintage Zippo with the original box and paperwork yesterday at the thrift store. Inscribed with the Collins leaf for that division of International Paper Co. Nothing like a Zippo!

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What year vintage.?
    I had up to about 200 at one time. Down to about 50-60.
    Have a buddy still sittin on around 400 with some primo stuff.
    Texas oil companies..Coke, Dr.peper logos...good stuff.
    Used to be anyway...market slowed down for them.
    Few cool ones we still have were Zips made for Texas High schools with the school mascot on...early 70's if I recall.
    Be big time taboo today..

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We have the zippo lighter with the zippo car on it...
    Course when we were both smoking we used lighters, but now...well am thinking of getting rid of them...
    Have the Millennium Titanium zippo along with the Our Century Zippo....and a bunch of Harley Zippos...

That Zippo car is kinda neat...*LOL

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    ZIPPO has a swap meet every year in Bradford, PA. The home of ZIPPO. You might think of a road trip and take your zippos to see what they are worth. This swap meet is an international event.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a nice brass zippo with my name on it. Got it from Marlboro for sending in "miles" of their packs of cigarettes. I loved that lighter. Had it five years, left it at a "wendys" restaurant. Went back to see if anone turned it in, of course not. Now I just buy the disposables-cant handle having my heart broke more than once.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Zippo with my first paycheck at Ives Drugstore inFrankin Grove IL in June 1968, still have it. I'm most please with the "Camel 8 Ball" Zippo I found in my woods 7 years ago. A tresspasser had apparently dropped it while turkey hunting - I guess we're even!
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    My most treasured Zippo is a WWII veteran. Crackle only slighty chipped. What a story it could tell!!

You're right about the market for them being weak.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Zippo that is the George Wallace model. It has the likeness of George Wallace carved into it.
    What is this one worth?
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I collect Zippo's from ships I served on.
    EBarf being my hunting ground along with yard and estate sales.

Here is a pricy one that I just passed on.
    Big bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=952&item=3274261475&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    The wife collects Zippos from all the race car tracks. Has all the Indy, NASCAR, and CART track lighters.
    Put it this way, she has 2 of those 6 ft tall curio cabinets full of them as well as a 5 drawer chest of drawers full to the brim of the Zippo lighters.
    And you dont dare to touch one, much less use one of them, or she will have your head on a platter.
    Walte pass the bic.....
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one that as far as I can tell hasn't been used. It's a little scrathed up but in very good shape. U.S.S. Fairfax County LST. 1193 Just sittin here because the only thing I use is matches to light my cigars. Tried remembering where I got it but can't.

Only the strong survive!!!!!
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ma worked for Zippo for 10 years!!! We live 8 miles from there! Iffin ya wanna come up for the swap meet, look us up!!! I think the swap meet has been cut back to once every two years!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    from the packaging I would guess this Zippo to be from the early fifties or maybe the late forties.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ma has a book here somewhere that identifies all there lighters!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    taco413

The ship your lighter is for is now an Aussie:

The RAN commissioned the ex-USS FAIRFAX COUNTY as the HMAS MANOORA

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
    edited November -1
    BigD Jr...
    You can get the exact year of production on the bottom of the Zipo.
    Series of dots and or slashes.
    The lettering the word "Zippo" block or script.....shoot me an email and I can date it for you..tomorrow, my book is at the shop...

Black crackle WWII...is sought after they bring good $$$
    All navy lighters do well..
    National brand advertisers still the best..

Twodogs

Will Rogers
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I've got an original 1948 "Halliburton" zippo. I think I'll start carrying it again to light democrats smokes![}:)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info 22WRF. It's sittin here collectin dust. Only zippo i'm keepin is my new in box panhead that a late freind gave me. I see a giveaway comin up soon.[:D]

Only the strong survive!!!!!
  • maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just checked their web site www.zippo.com
    They use to have a page where they gave the codes so you could tell what year they were made but I didn't see it
    Somewhere around here I have a book that tells me up to about 10 years ago.

Like two dogs said ,,,, There should be a letter A-L on one side of the ZIPPO logo --- that tells which month it was stamped out in & the other side will have dots or slashes telling which year.
    If you need more info I can try & look it up for you or ask some of my friends that still work there.

ma.gif
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Al Sharpton Zippo lighter.It does not work and and never has.It just runs around looking flashy.No spark,no fire.
    EvilDr235

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my friend a cool harley zippo for xmas....[^]
    edited November -1
    I've been looking at it and I think it might be a repro in an old box. Can't find my others to compare it to. I suspect they are all in the bottom of my wife's purse where they mysteriously all end up sooner or later. Anyway the word"Zippo" is in script at an angle and it has three or four tiny dots in a faint circle. I can't see well enough yet to tell exactly the number of dots. Ofcourse I only paid what a new one would cost anyway so if it is a fake its no big deal.

edited November -1
    BDJR..
    The dots before or after the word zippo..?

Will Rogers
    edited November -1
    Got my reading glasses and now there are three dots before and four dots after the logo. It also says Bradford pn the one side of the top logo and PA on the other. Some of my other ones sat Bradford,PA together on the bottom of the logo to the left.

• maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.geocities.com/don-sandys/Zippo/dates.html

If I'm reading this chart right it was made in 1959.

Check the insert I believe it has the Zippo patent info on it too

ma.gif
    edited November -1
    Ma that helped a lot! !959 same as me! Cool, now I just need a '59 convertible caddie like I rented for my wedding day and I'll have a set.