In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

We speak like our grandparents....

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I explained the origins of the phrase 'mind your P's and Q's' that came from the English pub's chalk board tabs with the bartender admonishing the patrons to keep up with their pints and quarts. Another phrase that we often hear has it's origins in the days of the victrola. They did not have volume controls back then so in order to lower the volume one stuck a shaped sock into the speaker horn. This carried over to asking people to lower their voices by saying 'stick a sock in it' and has been with us ever since.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    BDJ

How do you explain this one? "If you don't shut up I'm gonna stick my Buster Browns where the sun don't shine!"

Well....

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    That comes from the Greek immigrants and there historical preferences for comfortable footwear and that other thing that I can't mention.[:0]

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    You're of Greek descent also I see.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Nah, just eat a lot of gyros and soulvaki.