In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 44 mags

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
There are two on consignment at the local shop. One is a Trail Boss stainless steel ,ported , very nice rubber s&w grips, 3" barrel. The other is blue with pachmeyers,6" barrel and a trigger job that is not to be believed. The shorty also has a trigger job, but not as nice as the longer one. Neither one appears to have been fired much. I think the Dirty Hairy craze struck again. Someone just had to have the 44mag like Harry Calahan and then found out what it is like setting one off with some hot loads. I can't afford either one really , but allowances must be made . So which one would you go for and what model is the blue 44mag. The frame looks a little thin to be a 29.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a sucker for Stainless so I'd go after the 3"! Now, if the longer barrel was stainless then I'd go for it. I used to have a scoped Ruger Redhawk and I hated the scope so I sold the whole gun (dunno why I didn't just remove the scope).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I have a 6" blue Model 29 that I've had for 25-ish years. I like it a lot. I can hit what I shoot at, and the recoil is negligable, depending on what loads you use. Of course, I'm a big boy and have been shooting .44 mags for over 30 years. I also have a 6 inch Anaconda and a 7 1/2 bbl Super Blackhawk. The Colt is fancier, the Ruger is more rugged, but I like the Smith Best. Nothing to do with un-washed Harold.
    I personally don't much care for shorter barrels in Magnum handguns, unless you need to carry concealed. I like the longer sight plane on the 6" barrels, and the recoil is more easily controlled. Just my opinion.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Dealer cost on the Trail Boss(made exclusively for RSR) is right about $600.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    BigDaddyJr

I've got both the 6 1/2" and 3" models. We've met so you know how large I am and I don't get bothered by recoil a whole lot...But, go with the 6".
    It's great for hunting and will maximize the potential of the .44. On the other hand I fired my 3-incher about 70-80 rds one night a short time before we met and I hate to tell you how sore the web of my right hand was from the violent recoil of the shorty. I was shooting full house loads of between 240 to 300 grainers...and thats' not mentioning the noise levels even with ears on!
    You will waste a whole lot of powder as it will burn outside the barrel and the only thing I can think to do is shoot 44 special loads and use it for a backwoods carry piece, something a 6 incher will do for you almost as easily.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my 29-2 at the Appliance shoot. You should have shot it. I've had it since 77.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Guess I'll go with the 29. The trigger is the thing that got me. Big wide fat trigger that was as smooth as silk and broke at about 4 lbs. double action. I didn't think that was possible even with a Smith.In comparison my Colt is like a grip tester gizmo.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems