In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Guitar stagnation - mental block???

BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Ok - I've had a few guitars over the last 6-7 years. I have limited capabilities due to a bad hand, but can strum cords and pick very little. I like writing tunes, but want to play better. Not trying to be Clapton or anything but seam to have this rut going where I play what I know and thats it.... What do you guys do?????
I just picked up a nice Dean Markley A/E with a resonator and want to play[8D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    consider taking lesons

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Hey Blue: First I knew that you played guitar. Sometimes when you get in a rut, also known as hitting a plateau, you need to get with somebody else and pick up a few new licks or new songs.

I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 35 years and been in the same place you're describing a thousand times. We should get together and play a little. I'm no guitar virtuoso but I might be able to show you a few things and vice-versa.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find some music I like on the CD, turn it up and try to add something to it, an extra part. Very inspiring sometimes. You might try a style of music that isn't your usual fare occasionally. Funk, R&B, fusion, a different style of rock than you're used to.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Thanks- I'm gonna try lessons, but would like to get with Lowrider and play. My brother-in-law got me started several years ago and we used to get together often. Neither of us is good - he is better than me but we kinda just slacked off over the last few years.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Practice scales.
    Try alternate tunings (open "E", open "D").

Practice some more scales, all the way up the neck.
    Do that five hours a day, learn to sight read, then get some transcriptions of the greatest jazz, blues, and R&B solos.

Watch Ken Burn's 10 part series "Jazz". It will really open your eyes to all styles iof music.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Listen to stuff you like and try to copy it. Go through a chord book and just try to make the fingerings. Get a twelve string and expand your horizons.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems