In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BDJ, about Chapel Hill?

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What you were telling me about Chapel Hill was a bit disturbing to me. I do not want her at a school where the upity ups will look down their noses at her being from a working family because she would get in trouble by flattening some of those noses! If I had to choose to tangle with a lynx or her, throw me the lynx![;)] She is really looking for a decent pre-law school and for some reason Chapel Hill came up on her search. The other Universities you mentioned, what are they like and what is the region they are located in like? She has looked at one school in Cinci. Ohio but I have forbid it. Too much crime for my taste. It is close to home, less than 100 miles, but Ohio is not gun friendly and she will have some guns with her. For some reason she likes the idea of going to school in NC! She wants to be in a state that is gun friendly and has plenty of deer to hunt. KY really has no school that is high on pre-law. Why she wants to be an attorney beats me but it is her life! Any info on the other schools would be appreciated by us. By the way, I will let you know about whenon the buffalo hide in a week or so when I talk to my buddy again.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

Comments

• Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    There is a joke here in NC that goes something like this: Ask a business major at NC State what he's going to do and he'll reply that he's going to work at such an such a company, putin his 20 years and make it to senior VP. Ask a Carolina student and he'll say "I'm going to such and such a company." "What will you do there?"you ask. "Own it." he says.
    One of my sisters is a UNC graduate. She told me that it was a little hard the first year finding people to hang out with that were not too snobby. However, I do notice that she doesn't attend reunions or even associate with anyone she calls a classmate from there. So I figure she must have kept to herself quite a bit. It is a huge school and I'm sure it has a wide variety of students from various backgrounds, but it does have that rep whether deserved or not.
    If I were to make an unsolicited suggestion it would be to check out Appalachian in Boone , NC. It would be hours closer to home, have a lower tuition, a much less liberal town, and I'm pretty sure they can offer whatever courses a graduate law school would like to see in an undergraduate degree. Beautiful mountain country too. I've got a buddy that lives there that would be a good place to keep her guns near by. She'd also have someone within 15 minutes that she could call if she needed something. Dunedan goes there[Spiny's son] so maybe he could tell you more about it or give her the dime tour.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jj, I attended college there. I didn't encounter much snobby behavior, but then that was back in the last century. There were *plenty* of "working class" families represented among my friends and I don't recall anyone ever even being interested in the socio-economic backgrounds of others. My circle was an eclectic mix of Tar Heels, other Southerners and "damyankees." The only snobs I encountered were the "upper crust" types of certain Greek houses, and they would have been clueless buttheads in any setting. Now, I can't speak to the atmosphere of the girls' dorms, as I never had the pleasure of living in one [}:)] - but otherwise, in my time at least, I didn't see it and I think I would have seen as much of it as anyone being as I talked funny - and was the only undergraduate with a beard my first two years (made it hard to keep a low profile!). Without question, it's large enough that one can find good friends of any mindset / social background . . . but that size can be impersonal at times (doesn't sound like your daughter is a shrinking violet, though). IME - both personally and through my kids currently in college - the students who think they crap perfume tend to congregate in private schools. One of my buddies brought several firearms with him and stored them with campus security (? - don't recall for sure), but it's a different world today. We won't get into my friend the Green Beret and the 20mm Lahti he had . . . . It's a great school with a beautiful campus and I don't regret going there for a moment. I don't know about the pre-law program, but as I recall the law school itself was good.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    See JJ, there ya go . Nothing to worry about.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    My daughter and I bith thank you for the info. She is going to check into the Appalachian in Boone as well. Have to have someone close to watch over her. he can shoot with the bestof them, deer hunts for MEAT only(a huge rack means nothing to her), and is one of the best Wild Turkey callers you have ever heard. Funny thing is she will shoot rifle and pistol but has absolutly no intentions of shooting shotguns! She calls turkey in for myself and her brothers to shoot! She is also hoping on finding a school where she can compete in rifle competition as well! Again thanks.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No shotguns? And here I was thinking you had raised the perfect young lady.[:D] Where ever she goes I'm sure she willl make you proud!