In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Biker's question for ya!

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Ive been wanting a bike for a long time and have just never bought one came close a couple times.But what is the most comfortable Bike you have road for long distance's?

Also went to a Harley Dealership and looked around,salesman wanted me to fill out papers to see if I could get it financed.I did so on my own will and the best offer I got was $250.00 down .0%APR or $1500.00 cash back which would cover the $250.00 down.They make it so..........tempting.[:p]Even got a much cheaper deal at the Honda Dealership.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• jack85jack85 Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BMW R1200.
    Good luck.
    God bless The Republic.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I will agree with jack.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Schwinn!

lg_15.40.S4-DELUXE7-WHTGRN-M.jpg

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK...here we go again. If you want a "bike" it MUST say Harley-Davidson on it. Anything else is a "motorcycle"
    I have a H-D Road King and it's the most comfortable I've ever ridden.
    INCLUDING THE BEEMER 750/5 I USED TO HAVE.
    I've ridden the Road King to Sturgis, SD (1750 miles each way) and back twice and it didn't so much as hiccup.
    Besides...H-D's are much more attractive than those green and purple monstrosities that you have to lie down on to ride. And in case you hadn't noticed, all the rice-burner makers are now making a bike that looks like a H-D. What is it that's the sincerest form of flattery?
    Yep...imitation. So...do you want an "imitation" Harley or the real thing. Being the highly intelligent person that you are, the answer is obvious.
    Think about it...
    When was the last time you saw a group of people gathered around a rice-burner? I mean one that WASN'T on fire. [;)]
    OK, Lonnie....let 'er rip! [}:)]

Mudge the biker

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He didn't ask about performance, only comfort[;)][;)][}:)][}:)]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GEEZ Lonnie....17 minutes to respond. You're losin' it.

Mudge the stirrer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If ya want comfort, FLHTCU, air suspension, cruise control, fuel injected, delux leather seats, 4 speaker stereo,

For those that dont know, an FLHTCU is an Harley Davidson ULTRA CLASSIC

I got 70 thousand on mine and aint never put a wrench on it, OH YEA! I did change the plugs at 50 thousand, but didnt need to. [}:)][}:)]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must be eh? Just sat down and hit the page and my preprogrammed subject scanner highlighted it so it was the first one I clicked on[:D]

Mudge, Like I have tried to say but some ignore it, only thing I don't like about the bikes themselves is performance, the rest of it comes from the attitudes of many of the owners who wish to rub in everyones faces about teh cost, return and the ever so famous "If you hack on Harleys you can't afford one!"

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    Over 300,000 miles on my 3 harleys, works for me
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Now Lonnie, you know that those that rag out , I mean really rag out Harleys , deep down they really want one, but just cant quite reach it.[}:)][}:)][:o)][:o)][:p][:p][:p]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will admit thats the problem in my case $$$ by the time I can justify affording one I wont be alive to collect my life Insurance money.The sound of a Harley Just sitting and idleing puts me to sleep.Ya gotta admit nothing comes close to the sweet grinding,loaping sound of a Harley.I just didnt know how they road for example,a day long Sunday ride.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Moto-Guzzi, they cost less than a BMW or Harley and they are just as good. Plus you won't see hoards of other people with the same bike as you.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a Harley. If you don't like it, you can almost always get most of your money back....[8D]....My brother rides a Road-King, Nice for traveling. I own a FXSTB {softail night-train}. Good for running around on, but I personally could'nt travel too far without alot of rest-stops.{unless I removed the drag-bars}...

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    For comfort, FLHTC or FLHTCU. The Road Kings are confortable as well. I ride a 85 FLHT Classic. That is if you are buying a Harley. You can always get your money back if you take care of her. As to others, I would say BMW after the Harley. After the Harley or my second choice of a BMW, I would buy a nice car IMHO![;)] No matter what you buy, when they start pushing for you to but chrome add ons remember one thing, Chrome will not necessarily get you home! Crome looks good but it does not make it run any better.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Time for the classic motorcycle truth:

Harley riders go in packs, one per bike. That way, there's always a spare seat when your bike breaks down.

Goldwing riders go two to a bike. That's how many grown men it takes to get the sucker vertical after you drop it.

BMW riders typically ride one to a bike, all alone. Nobody else wants to go that far, that fast.

If you want comfort over long distance, get a Beemer. I am a huge RxxxxRS fan (I ride a '96 R1100RS, they brought it back recently as the R1150RS), but would accept almost any R bike. The bike will go an easy 130-135mph, loaded with the side bags on, and still be as smooth as if you were going 30 on your Hog. It will also corner very well - I, too, go to Sturgis every year, but I go the week before the bike ralley so there aren't so many Harley "riders" taking up the roads going so slow that a cigarette stays lit (yep, I've seen (and smelled) it there); that way, I can roar through the Black Hills and take all the corners at 2-3 times the posted warning speed.

Also of note is that most cars give my back trouble, with muscle spasms twisting vertebrae out of place. And yet, I have ridden 500-mile non-stop (gas every 125 miles, and never going under 80 besides) days and not noticed it in my back. I think that says something.

Moreover, you won't pour as much money into ugly chrome or "routine" maintenance (things like head gaskets and chains) as you would with a Harley.

Let the flame-fest begin. ;-D
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say that Harley Davidson's do rule the comfort cruiser market.Some are alittle on the heavy side which can mess with total comfort some but once you get moving they are quite comfortable.Some of the jap cruisers are also comfortable.I am 6'2" and weigh 200 pounds and I rode a Yamaha V-Star Classic for a good bit of distance and it was very comfortable.I have been on a (Polaris) Victory Vegas which was good too.For performance and comfort though Buell is hard to beat,which by the way is the only thing having to do with Harley Davidson that I would ever purchase.I just like my sport bikes alittle to much to buy a full on cruiser.Im from the school of "If you want to feel the wind in your hair,cruise and be safe get a convertible Volvo" though.

"A gun is as good or bad as the man using it"
    -Shane-
  • homer4homer4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still havin fun on my 74 Gold Wing.

"...Abby someone""Abby who"..."Abby Normal"
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I haven't owned or even ridden a Harley that was made since the AMF days so I only know about the old ones. I sure like the look of the Roadking though. Harley's got the pull for hills especially if you are a large person. The evo rubber mount is supposed to have eliminated a lot of the vibration that tends to numb your hands and butt when riding the old bikes. Ride an old panhead for a few hours and you sound like Kathryn Hepburn the rest of the day. My 79 Goldwing has the stereo,cruise control. lighter, cup holder etc etc.. and is very comfy on long trips. But when I do buy another bike it will be a fuel injected Roadking. White Pearl on silver to be exact.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems