In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Dawnie went and bought DUCKS! Little bitty yellow ducks. Four of them.

What do I do with ducks? We took them to the pond, but they didn't seem to like it. I reckon they are still too little.

Eventually they will inhabit the pond, where sooner or later the coyotes will eat them, but for now, they are cheeping happily in our spare room.

Any duck raising advice?

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stuff Them!
    That way they will stay Cute Forever. [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch your step. Ducks crap worse than anyother animal you can raise. Have a yard full of ducks and geese. Make good watch dogs er ducks.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    When they're old enough, anchor a roost in a deeper part of the pond. Coyotes don't often like to swim for duck dinner.

And how's that old computer?

Nord
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    Computer is doing fine.

It is doing something that my old Windows 98 computer did, and I don't know how to fix it.

When I click on Internet Explorer, it is supposed to start dialing up, and sometimes it doesn't, so I have to go to Dialup Networking to connect.

Then, when the window appears that shows the thing trying to connect, it won't save the password. The password is gone, and the boxes you can check to ask it to remember the password and connect automatically are dark.

So, I have to type in the password every time. It is OK, but it was behaving better when I first got it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
    edited November -1
    Dawnie had the ducks in a small dog kennel. We carried the kennel down to the pond. Dawnie got the ducks out and placed them in the water. They stayed together in a bunch and swam around a little while, and then they all came ashore and ran back into the kennel.

So, they are in the house for now.

• FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn go to system restore and pick a point before it started to do this, that should clear it right up.
    edited November -1
    Where is system restore?

• ToolbabeToolbabe Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ducks are my favorite[:D]ive had many
    you can tell the boys from the girls caus the boys peep higher
    they need to be warm and dont put them in water till they have feathers ,,,found out the hard way they will drown
    tey love small bits of soft fruit and laying mash

dont give them any more water than you want to clean up they will "slatter" it all over {best word I know for it}

give them sipps and then take away the water is best [if not] put them in the tub with a low DISH of water so you can just spray it out later. ducks will come to see you and talk to you if you talk to them. once we were fixing a 64 chevy truck and there are some bolts you cant get any more and the ducks were helping tools....they ate them when he wasnt looking and we had to follow hem around for a couple of hours till we got them back......yep loose as a goose ,,,not kidding[:D]

Master mess sargent RRG
    Flying-witch18.gif
    Oh my God! is the beginning of a prayer, not a one liner!
    We come into this life with nothing, everything after this is our treasure
    edited November -1
    If you are running Xp go to my computer and right click it, than go to propertys and click on that. The next window will have some tabs and system restore will be one of them. This feature allows you to restore the computer to an earlier date when things were working fine. You may lose some info that you put on your computer recently depending on how far back you go.
    edited November -1
    David -

Don't bother yourself with something that isn't there. I usually put a file called WIN98 in the root directory. As I remember, I sent a copy of the drivers. That, or they're also in a file in the root directory.

At worst just boot to DOS and go to setup.exe in WIN98. You'll have to install your software and drivers over again, but that's the way it goes.

Before you jump off the deep end, go to Trend Housecall and run their free anti-virus routine. Be prepared for a long wait on dial-up. Make sure that you're running a good spy-ware blocker, too.

Nord
    edited November -1
    Nord are you saying system restore does not exsist?? I beg to differ!!!
    edited November -1
    Differ away my friend. I put the machine together and I know what's there.

Nord
    edited November -1
    Like I said if he is running Xp it is there, just do what I explained and you will see it.
    edited November -1
    It's all geek to me.

I don't understand a word of it.

edited November -1
    Nunn is your operating system windows XP?
    edited November -1
    One last post Flat Head... The machine is running WIN98. Really! I know! I set it up!

Nord
    edited November -1
    Understood, I wish I had known that from the start.[8D]
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do any of you guys keep, or have, guinea hens? Used to be a bunch of them on my old uncle's farm. They raised more ruckus than the dogs did when I'd drive up before sunrise!
    Wierd birds.
    Cheers,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do any of you guys keep, or have, guinea hens? Used to be a bunch of them on my old uncle's farm. They raised more ruckus than the dogs did when I'd drive up before sunrise!
    Wierd birds.
    Cheers,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:nunn
    Administrator

USA
    5876 Posts
    Posted - 02/22/2004 : 6:51:47 PM

What do I do with ducks?

I enjoy them bbq'd but there's plenty of different ways to cook duck.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you leave the ducks outside in a cage when they get a little older be sure the cage openings are not any bigger than chicken wire. My wife had three ducks, and a * or something pulled two of them through the cage piece by piece. Made the third one crazy and we could't catch it for a few months -- it just lived in the bushes and attacked the neighbors and kids and stuff. Finally became a "menace" and I had to catch it and take it to a nearby pond. I beleive the snappers made short work of that crazy thing.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

What do I do with ducks?
    I eat them[:D], But as far as taking care of the little ones i think you did the right thing by taking them to the pond, I dont think there is much else you can do for them.

use_deer.jpg
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ducks can be fun critters. dcon12 ain't just whistling dixie when he says they make a mess. They will dig holes in your yard too. Did you get some feed for them from the feed store? When they get older, you can feed mice to them. They are meat eaters. Had a duck that would chase me around the yard if I was dangling a mouse by the tail.

OleDuk,
    Had guineas, ducks, still got geese. Guineas are some of the best watch "birds" there are. You are right, they are weird birds.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV
    If you leave the ducks outside in a cage when they get a little older be sure the cage openings are not any bigger than chicken wire. My wife had three ducks, and a * or something pulled two of them through the cage piece by piece. Made the third one crazy and we could't catch it for a few months -- it just lived in the bushes and attacked the neighbors and kids and stuff. Finally became a "menace" and I had to catch it and take it to a nearby pond. I beleive the snappers made short work of that crazy thing.

I dunno why but the story about the crazy duck just made me roll. I think I just woke up everyone in the house. Thanks for the laugh although it wasn't intended.

powder_solvent.JPG

Oh Hoppe's No. 9 you are so fine.

I need to get me some more of those bullet propulsion devices.

One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.