In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why Does My Truck Hate Me?

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My truck and I dont see Eye to Eye much. At around 80,000 miles some strange noises came from the manual transmission. A rebuild followed replacing all bearings and clutch. On the way home from Canada (cheaper to go to Canada to rebuild tranny), the seal in the rear differential blew dumping all oil and overheating it. Took it to my local garage and had bearings and seals replaced. 3000 miles later the transmission made noises again. Took it back to Canada and they rebuilt the tranny for free as they didnt tighten 4 bolts enough and the oil leaked out. After that the front tire snapped a bolt and lug nut and tried to leave the truck.

That brings us to today. Coming home from Canada with wood flooring, heard a big bang. The truck drove fine as long as I was on the gas, let off the gas and it made bad sounds. I need a whole new rear end, apparently when all the oil was lost last time it warped the gears and the stress fianlly got to them. Luckily my local guy has a rear end that will fit my truck and it shouldnt be long till it get it back.

But I ask you, why does my truck hate me.

RUGER.jpgNRA_FLAG_2.gif8.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin

Comments

• Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what kind of truck is it?

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    94 Chevy S-10 4x4

I wish I could say it was a ford, but..

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to go with a Toyota maybe?
    edited November -1
    I had some similar problems with a 3/4 ton chevy that was a 94 model also. It was 4 wheel drive and the transmission went to hell about 70000 miles or so. Always had hell with the hydraulic cluth also, had to keep changing the slave cylinder , if that is what you call it. Sense then i wised up and started getting automatic transmissions and that solved the problem. Best dam truck you can ever own is a 1/2 ton extended cab Z71. I just got one a few weeks ago and i love it. Good gas mileage , plenty of power , and it shifts into 4wheel automaticly with a push of a button.

• muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chevyman Tx
    I had some similar problems with a 3/4 ton chevy that was a 94 model also. It was 4 wheel drive and the transmission went to hell about 70000 miles or so. Always had hell with the hydraulic cluth also, had to keep changing the slave cylinder , if that is what you call it. Sense then i wised up and started getting automatic transmissions and that solved the problem. Best dam truck you can ever own is a 1/2 ton extended cab Z71. I just got one a few weeks ago and i love it. Good gas mileage , plenty of power , and it shifts into 4wheel automaticly with a push of a button.

Don't agree on the gas milage(12-16) but other than that[^]

Muggster
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Shoddy Canadian workmanship probably. We had a bunch of Canucks working here awhile and although they know beer and hockey they couldn't fix something right if you held a gun to their heads.[;)][}:)][:o)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
    edited November -1
    Chevyman, you must have had a different transmission than I have due to it being a 3/4 ton, but the head of the shop in Canada said that the transmission in my truck (New Venture 1500) is used on Chevys with the 4.3 and Dodges with a V-6. He said that most blow bearings by 75000 miles and need rebuilds. There was a 2001 S-10 in the shop with 15000 miles that had blown bearings when I went up there last.

Im a Chevy fan through and through and take alot of the blame for my truck being broke most of the time. I treat em like they are Baja Racers offroad.

• pantera7974pantera7974 Member Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 90 s-10 4x4 blazer and the damn thing decided to drink all but about 2 qts of its oil on me[xx(],good thing i checked the stick when i did, gotta love chevy....no engine noise and the oil guage was still riding around the 30 psi mark, at 145,000 miles on it, now with full oil its at about 45-50 psi.[8D]

WELL AREN`T I JUST ONE BIG F`ING RAY OF SUNSHINE.
    edited November -1
    I think that the chevy's built around 94 all had transmission problems. Friend of mine had a half ton plain jane pickup with an automatic in it. Transmission went out within the first few weeks and they never could keep one in it after that, he finally traded it off and got another one. I personally hate all of these dam hydraulic clutches now days, I had no problems with the old linkage system. All you had to do to those was just adjust from time to time. These clutches they are puttin in nowdays aint no where near as strong as the old ones were, the new ones slip and burn to dam easy. I am hoping to get a new work truck in the near future with the allison tranny. THem thangs are tough!

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have a 96 chevy S-10, 4x4, manual transmission, and 198,000 miles on it. When it was about to turn 100,000 miles I had problems with the tranny. It was my own fault though I got tired of checking the fluid level and it had a very slight leak. Eventually it ruined the throw out bearing so I replaced it along with the clutch and pressure plate. Haven't had a probelm since. It's been well worth the money. Kinda uncommon with vehicles nowadays

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Mine's an 85 S10 2WD Blazer with the Tahoe package. Got 203,000 miles and its still runs like a top. Gotta stop off-roading so hard, probably won't make it much past 500,000 miles if I keep abusing it[:D]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a 1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 (bought new) with the Magnum V6 and NV manual transmission... 140,000 troublefree miles[:)]. This same tranny is also used by Toyota. I have never heard of either a Dodge Dakota or the Toyota having any manual transmission problems. Makes one really wonder what GM is doing to mess them up[?]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
    edited November -1
    Bert H. -- Is your New Venture the 1500 or 3500 series. Both are the same size case but have different load ratings. This is what the Canadian mechanic told me, but I have no way of proving it.

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Its not a Nissan [:D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    There's your answer.It's a Chevy.They hate everybody.Buy a Ford.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I have a 1987 chevy silverado. 187,000 trouble free miles. Body looks like crap but the motor runs as smooth as a sewing machine. Its part of the family[:D]

Larry
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote:But I ask you, why does my truck hate me.

Do you fart in it a lot? Let cigarette ashes float all over the place? Spill the occasional beer? Allow onions and bits of lettuce to accumulate along the floor mat to rot and mildew? And do you wipe down the headlamps occasionally? Trucks really like that. It's like scratching a kitty-cat's head.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ
    Bert H. -- Is your New Venture the 1500 or 3500 series. Both are the same size case but have different load ratings. This is what the Canadian mechanic told me, but I have no way of proving it.

Hello RugerGunz... The transmission in my Dakota is the NV 1500. The NV 3500 is used in the full size Ram (with a V8 gas engine).

Forgot to mention... I believe what the Canadian mechanic told you... the Dodge Magnum V6 is the Magnum 5.2 (318 CID) with two cylinders missing. The transmission and bellhousing are identically sized for the Dodge Magnum 3.9 V6, 5.2 V8 and 5.9 V8.

Bert H.

edited November -1
    [/quote]
    Do you fart in it a lot? Let cigarette ashes float all over the place? Spill the occasional beer? Allow onions and bits of lettuce to accumulate along the floor mat to rot and mildew? And do you wipe down the headlamps occasionally? Trucks really like that. It's like scratching a kitty-cat's head.
    [/quote]

[:0][:D][:D][:D]

Bert H.

• MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your truck doesn't hate YOU, it hates CANADA!

Merc

Insignia?

Nos nullus habitum rancidum insignia!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you talk to her all the time? Do you touch her in all the right places. Do you pat her on the dash and tell her "Good girl, your doing great"? Do you go out side just to tell her that you will soon be driving her? I do all that to my truck and she never has any major problems. It might be time to start bonding with her, but it might be to late and you'll just have to get a divorce and start anew.

powder_solvent.JPG

Oh Hoppe's No. 9 you are so fine.

I need to get me some more of those bullet propulsion devices.

One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.