In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got my first gun yesterday!!! WOOHOOO!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    charger_rt440charger_rt440 Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you are going to buy a weapon for home defense, I would recomend a shotgun, it wont penetrate as many walls as a high powered handgun will if you miss, if you live in an urban setting like an apartment you don't want the bullet going through the wall into some kids bedroom,

I also would never sell my first gun, Remington 870 with a ventilated rib and a full choke,, man that thing is lethal on pheasants,[:)]

As for tips on trap shooting, I shoulder the gun and aim at the top center of the trap house back wall, this lets you swing your gun either way or pull straight up depending on how the clay pigeon comes out, I shoot a little differant than most people, I don't level the gun where the bead is the only thing showing, instead I raise the bead until I can look straight down the rib all the way to bead, I then aim just under the pigion so the pigion is just above the bead, and last but not least follow through,, after you pull the trigger keep moving the barrell in whatever direction you are going for a few seconds, don't stop and then pull the trigger, you will miss more than you hit,, [:)]sorry didm't mean to be so windy[:D]

If you want to take my gun? you will have to take it Barrel first!!

Never argue with an Idiot, they just drag you to their level and beat you with experiance!!!
  • Options
    357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charger_rt440
    if you are going to buy a weapon for home defense, I would recomend a shotgun, it wont penetrate as many walls as a high powered handgun will if you miss, if you live in an urban setting like an apartment you don't want the bullet going through the wall into some kids bedroom,

I also would never sell my first gun, Remington 870 with a ventilated rib and a full choke,, man that thing is lethal on pheasants,[:)]

As for tips on trap shooting, I shoulder the gun and aim at the top center of the trap house back wall, this lets you swing your gun either way or pull straight up depending on how the clay pigeon comes out, I shoot a little differant than most people, I don't level the gun where the bead is the only thing showing, instead I raise the bead until I can look straight down the rib all the way to bead, I then aim just under the pigion so the pigion is just above the bead, and last but not least follow through,, after you pull the trigger keep moving the barrell in whatever direction you are going for a few seconds, don't stop and then pull the trigger, you will miss more than you hit,, [:)]sorry didm't mean to be so windy[:D]

Never argue with an Idiot, they just drag you to their level and beat you with experiance!!!

I certainly wouldn't want to hurt any of my neighbors, but shotguns have such long barrels that it may be difficult to maneuver in the hallway. Anyways this is the shortest barrel I could find of the 870:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=7417368

It has a pump action, which should scare anyone haha. It's probably good if they made the pump action sound loud on purpose. [:p]
    Do you guys have any other suggestions for shotguns??

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that is a good choice for home defense in my book...
    when you rack a round in the chamber it will put the fear of god into most criminals...we use the 870 at work and I can tell you when the action cycles you get everybodys attention....

[:D]

• Options
    357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would that remington be any fun to take to the range??
    I would need to practice to be able to hit anything haha. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This particular shotgun would be a good multi purpose gun..
    I would take it to the range no matter what it was for...practice,practice,practice....and remember its the guns that you think are unloaded that will kill you...always double,triple check, and never point a gun at anything your not prepared to KILL!!...

Guns don't kill people, people kill people..

• Options
    redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats.....nothing better than that new gun fun. I have a 870 Wingmaster myself. I wish I could remember when I got my first gun. I think it was a Ruger .22 I had saved forever to buy when I was in 6th grade.

Yes its loaded.