In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    anatomically correctanatomically correct Member Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, just in case it does, I want you guys to know I have really enjoyed being a part of this forum. If there's anything left, my kids get it all.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shook the pictures off one of the walls in my house.scared the dickins out of the wife
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read somewhere that the largest quake in US History was at New Madrid Mo, in about 1860 or so. TRUE?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:This comes in a swarm of about 800 earthquakes to strike north central Arkansas since September.

Hard to say, but my experience here in CA lot of little ones is good. No movement for a long time, Bad. If your prepared for SHTF, your set like we are. The only down fall of the mid west is the Earthquake building standards and old buildings/bridges that have not been retrofitted for anything over 7+.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by anatomically correct
    Well, just in case it does, I want you guys to know I have really enjoyed being a part of this forum. If there's anything left, my kids get it all.

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I read books all the time, way back when
    the new madrid had the big one, the mississippi
    flowed north. they always think california
    will be the big one, I dont think so
    I think New madrid is going to have a big
    shake, then Charleston is going to have one.
    ok that all my nightmares that I can thing of.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    I read books all the time, way back when
    the new madrid had the big one, the mississippi
    flowed north. they always think california
    will be the big one, I dont think so
    I think New madrid is going to have a big
    shake, then Charleston is going to have one.
    ok that all my nightmares that I can thing of.

Made a nice lake for fishing

http://www.kentuckylaketourism.com/About_Reelfoot_Lake.cfm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By state, Alaska had the Largest in 1964 with a 9.1 - 9.2 IRCC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I can offer any sage advice on Earthquakes it would be this after having my home destroyed in a 7.1.

The initial quake is bad- recover, and focus, get out. It's the 2000 to 3000 aftershocks that happen that will scare the hell out of you.

I live 15 miles from the epicenter, This is S.F. 60 miles away
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lAXStQCjr8
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    By state, Alaska had the Largest in 1964 with a 9.1 - 9.2 IRCC.

My dad lived through that one, maybe my oldest sister too. I can't remember if she was born yet. Dad always complained about the Red Cross going around selling stale donuts for a dollar a piece. A dollar a donut in '64?
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Been thru a few. But what now Scares me is Volcano's.

I'm Surrounded.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know but I felt my first earthquake last night here in Arkansas.

Thought it was thunder at first.

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well you have to remember back when the big one hit the ohio vally area there was not way to measure it.
    I think it had to be a massive one.
  • Options
    bigboy12bigboy12 Member Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    I read somewhere that the largest quake in US History was at New Madrid Mo, in about 1860 or so. TRUE?
    There were a series of quakes along the New Madrid fault line from Dec 1811-Feb 1812. The three largest are estimated to have been 8.0+. If anything like that were to happen today, everything between Memphis and St. Louis would be devastated.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I watched a documentary on the big shake in 1811-1812. It went on for a long time until people were afraid to sleep inside. Some areas simply dropped and were inundated with river water. Salt water from the Gulf flowed up the Mississippi for miles. There might be a few bridges that would survive but I doubt any of the older ones crossing the river would, leaving traffic stuck on one side or the other. If the structures built in the early 1900's in that area are in similar condition to the ones around here built in that period, they're barely standing alone as it is and a shaker would topple them into rubble.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every fault creates earthquakes. That's why they ARE faults. Kind of a giant "duh."

I live directly on a fault. The Wasatch Front of Utah is a hundred-mile long series of vertical cliffs up to a thousand feet high. It was once level ground.

The view out my front window is amazing - we look at the other side of the fault, the part that rose up over the eons.

IMG_1417.jpg
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Well, there's the "three" for my theory (actually not mine, but a geologist co-worker long ago): New Zealand, Mexico, and now New Madrid.

Whenever there's a large earthquake somewhere, expect another across the world in a few days, and then a third sometime after. Sometimes a fourth also. The shock waves seem to echo through the earth's core.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This New Madrid one hardly qualifies as a "major." Plus, there are earthquakes every day - most of them small like the New Madrid. Our Utah newspapers run a weekly report that shows where and how large of every quake in the state. There are usually dozens to a hundred or so a week in just our state.

My own quake/volcano theory is based on the moon phase and tidal pull. Quakes and eruptions peak at new and full moon because of the increased movement of the earth's crust due to tides. There's a new moon this Friday. We'll see.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if I should say when, the madrid fault goes
    again, its going to make all the others look
    like a after shock. there is a book,
    "On Shaky Ground, America's Earthquake Alert"
    its a good book, all about the danger that
    America is in, and where so of the most dangerous
    place are. By John J. Nance
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭