In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Laptop Help

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
I want to buy a Laptop and really dont know what to buy. We want it mainly to surf the net , anybody with a recommendation ?

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    Buy Dell. Buy used. Ebay has them. Try to buy from an individual rather than from a business. Businesses usually wipe the OS off.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    FishnshootFishnshoot Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Dell. However I'm not too crazy about used. You definitely pay more for new, however you do get support from Dell if it breaks. You can buy a three year warranty for about $100 to $150 and you'll have newer equipment than if you buy used.

If you don't have to have a laptop, you can get a better deal on a desktop.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't like what the have make you own! I have owned nothing but microns pc's service is #1 on there list. All 5 of mine are still running the oldest one (millenea xku 133 thats about 8 years old and still running strong, runs 24/7 for my weather station feed.

http://www.buympc.com/smallbiz/store/notebooks/overview_transport.html [:D][:D][:D]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

"If I can't keep an open mind, learn to think out of the box, What good is it being here?"

California state Motto: By 30, Our Women Have More Plastic Than Your Honda
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Dell is a good choice. I bought mine used on the internet and signed up with Dell for service and support. All they ask for is the number on the bottom of your laptop and they sign you up for free.

I am very pleased with Dell and my laptop.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    I have never paid more than $700 for a laptop.

I have had one Compaq that was junk.

One HP that was OK.

One Sony that was great until one hinge broke.

Both Dells I still have and both are wonderful units. The one I use now is VERY fast and has a huge hard drive.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys I will look into the Dell line . They have a 1100 Model new for $799.00 I may go with that one.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    My brother sells hardware in his software business, and says Dell work more consistently out of the box (some cunstomers want a dif. brand).

BUT I'd get a Mac for $999. It would just about blow away my 3 yr old Mac desktop, is easy to navigate, you are not locked into Micro****, is faster than both my other two Mac's (laptops), is cheaper than ever due to Mac developing better stuff and selling more laptops (Their sales for laps. is over 50% of total, I believe).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70602/wo/fS77b4Fgnx1K3uJWHxu1LFmjOg4/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.1.1.0.0.0.1.0
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for a NEW Dell... I have a 250N SmartStep, and it is an awesome machine! With a 2.4GHz processor, 512M of RAM, a 40G harddrive, and a CDRW/DVD all-in-one, you can't beat it.

Bert H.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laptop prices are coming down. Their numbers always lag behind the desktops a bit, on everything from processor speed to screen size, so I have to say the best choice is to buy as near new as you can -- to get the newer technology. To educate yourself on brand comparisons, try picking up an issue of the large-sized Computer Shopper magazine off the local magazine rack. They cover all the brands and include good and regular updates on speed and reliability in all areas with all makes and models. I've had good luck with Sony stuff and with Toshiba laptops and I would not be afraid of a Dell either. But there may be an off-brand like ABS or Micron worth considering too. As for the IBM ThinkPads, I always liked the one with the full-sized fold-out keyboard, but I don't know if they still make 'em. Get the biggest screen size you can find in your budget, by the way.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Bought this Toshiba in Feb when the Compaq desktop crashed and burned. No problems whatsoever. Still use it while Swwbo uses the Dell desktop to play her games.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why is it most of you people recommend Dell when it's known they are very very anti gun and every computer they sell a portion of the sale goes to hand gun control ? There are so many Dell users here that everytime I bring it up it's ignored.

[:(!] [:(!] [V] [V]

ATF
  • Options
    dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    either dell or gateway is a good choice not wild about used
  • Options
    spectre7spectre7 Member Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E-machine (http://www.e4me.com) laptops seem to have a better price for the system specs that you get. I tend to shy away from Dell, but that is a result of my experience with their desktops over the years and know very little about their line of laptops. I don't like purchasing big-name computer prodcuts, but with laptops it's pretty much unavoidable. Just isn't much of a 'build-your-own' market yet. Best of luck finding what you need, and let us know what you get.

With my IT class-load, I'm probably going to break down and buy on sooner or later.

Typos and profanity, oh my! http://www.funky-town.org
  • Options
    scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If what you are looking for is a solid reliable machine, with great support and upgradeability, look no further than Toshiba. Read any reviews you want, Toshiba is the standard all other laptops are compared too. Had mine since 1996, never any trouble. Still using the original battery too...that is very important, unless you like spending 100 - 200 everytime your battery dies.

my 2 cents worth

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also want to look at the "big name" web sites for their "factory remanufactured units." They usually offer them for sale on the sites. Bought my Compaq laptop that way 5 years ago. Full 1-year factory warranty. Usually, these are machines that have been sent back for warranty replacement. Company fixes the problem, and offers them at DEEP discounts. Only problem I have ever had was the floppy drive going bad. Called Compaq, they over-nighted a shipping box to me, FedEx guy waited while I packed the machine, and 3 days later it was back to me, good as new, no charge. Definately worth looking at.

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a couple of observations and comments.

ATF is correct with regard to the information about Michael Dell and Dell computers. He is definitely Anti-Guns, no doubts about it. A percentage of every purchase that you make goes towards killing off the sports, hobbies and employment that we all love and enjoy. He has great market prices but think about the end result. Put a few more dollars with his price and support those that support us and the Bill of Rights.

Dell has moved all of their customer service and assembly of their products to foreign countries. Customer service/aasembly is now handled by operations in India and the Philippines. Customer service with people who use English, poorly, as a second language is no fun, especially when it involves technology. In addition to that, it cost Americans several hundred jobs... and let's not think about the tax revenue that's lost.

The IT department of our Community College is continually having fits because it is mandated that they supply and service Dell computers for all of the campuses. These people work with computers as a profession and they will state without reserve that Dell stinks! These are professionals, not just a bunch of kids or computer wannabes thrown into IT.

Lastly, consider that there is a new processor chip coming on line shortly that will precipitate a dump on the computer market. Prices will tumble. Better buys will be available from good companies not just Dell.

Best.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a Dell with a 20gig Harddrive 256MG memory and its as fast as my wifes Gateway Desktop which has a 60GB Harddrive and 500 MB memory.I can play CD's Dvd's you name it,but Gateway also has some very nice Laptops.Good Luck!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a Dell with a 20gig Harddrive 256MG memory and its as fast as my wifes Gateway Desktop which has a 60GB Harddrive and 500 MB memory.I can play CD's Dvd's you name it,but Gateway also has some very nice Laptops.Good Luck!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:ATF is correct with regard to the information about Michael Dell and Dell computers. He is definitely Anti-Guns, no doubts about it. A percentage of every purchase that you make goes towards killing off the sports, hobbies and employment that we all love and enjoy. He has great market prices but think about the end result. Put a few more dollars with his price and support those that support us and the Bill of RightsOriginally posted by ATF

nononsense,Thank You for your reply.Glad there's someone else that knows whats going on.Everyone complains about gun control but does NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]

ATF<P><br>

ATF
  • Options
    BuckShotJonBuckShotJon Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good comments on Dell being Anti-Gun. I was not aware of this. I will never buy a Dell again now.

I do have a Dell laptop that has something wrong with it? Its not simple problem either because I am a IT Engineer and can't figure this problem out. I think its a flacky motherboard going. I have had 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Linux and now trying Gentoo just to get it to work.

If I can't get it this time its gonna to the rifle range.

Why laptop companies are Pro-Gun, Pro-Hunting anyone know?

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Save a couple of shots for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[:)] [:p] [8D] [^]

ATF
  • Options
    BuckShotJonBuckShotJon Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was supposed to be "Which laptop companies are pro-gun, pro-hunting"

ATF - For the time and trouble this machine has caused I should shoot it anyway, plus now I find out Dell is anti-gun that would just be more pudding to have it destroyed. It needs to be put down like a rabid dog! [:D] [:D]

Who the hell resorts to using Gentoo OS anyway?

Jon