In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Job prospects

ToolbabeToolbabe Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have been doing a lot of searching today. And have two things in mind. One is this company is looking for sub contractors in Charlston. I talked to them and it sounded good. Then the guy put me in touch with the office in Columbia SC. Turns out the man that runs that office is retired from the same company as one of my best coustomers. So I have good referances with him. Then I found out that there is an office in Florance SC. I have not talked with them yet. If I was to do sub contracting with them I would need to hire help. Thay do more than is listed on there sites.
http://archadeck.com/

Then I spoke with a trucking Company out of Charlston SC. Thay haul containers into the area around me on up into North Carolina. It pays $.77 a mile to the truck loaded and empty. Not too bad. And would be home every night. Thay were wanting me to come down tomorrow.

The thing I realy want to do is get my Home Inspection business going. That I have found out is not going to happen where I live. Toolbabe and I are thinking about moveing. We are condidering either Charlston or Tampa FL. The housing ind is booming in both places. The other thing is. It would take some money to get set up to compeat in the Home Inspection business. I have discovered that most Home Inspectors have a back ground is Business. Not the home construction ind. And I will be the first to admit I am not a business man.
I would gladly acept any input.
TOOLS

Master mess sargent RRG
Flying-witch18.gif
Oh my God! is the beginning of a prayer, not a one liner!
We come into this life with nothing, everything after this is our treasure

Comments

• TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Oooops I did a Classic[:0]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I started this topic earlier and it's starting to get some response. would you be interrested?

quote:please read!! Help for fellow GB members
    Jay

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    I got my leads from RLDowns.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey bud,been gone awhile. Thinkin about moving? This place is BOOMING right now! Plenty of work etc. Of course,you might have to live in some stacked-up neighborhood like mine for awhile,but you get used to it.[;)] Gimme a call.

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
    edited November -1
    BigT Will do. I'll call around 9:00
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TOOLS1

Something that might be worth checking out in your area. If I understand right "McCormic" the spice company is hiring tons of people
    all over the place, and I know they need truck drivers to go from coast to coast.

I myself have been considering getting on with them as a Mech. they are starting at $18-$20 an hour. Myself employment insurance is killing me![V]

Good luck! Check it out!

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
    edited November -1
    I was realy hopeing for some more input. Right now I will admit that I am very confused about things and not sure what to do. Has any one ever heard or delt with Archadeck?
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Stay where you are until you can sell for a profit or break even atleast. Take the job that has the least amount of BS involved and don't worry about the business types in the inspection trade. Here they are all former contractors, not that it matters what you did before you got the license. Keep your license current so when it is the right time to move you can set yourself up and hit the ground running.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TOOLS1
    Has any one ever heard or delt with Archadeck?

I'm not familiar with them specifically, but looking at their website it looks like they're setting up to make money selling franchises.

Most construction/home repair/inspection business is local. IMO, there really is no need for a franchise (although some exist and appear to be successful).

The "trick" for success is to develop a reputation and customer base locally--that takes time. Advertising and a "franchise" name might get a first call, but a business needs repeat customers--and satisfied customers "telling their friends" to call you--which takes time to develop.

Successful sub-contracting requires reputable contractors who pay--on time. It can take time to find them/develop a good working relationship with them.

If your "cash crunch" is as urgent as it sounded in your previous post Tools, I'd be inclined to say the driving sounds like it might start putting cash in you pocket more quickly than the contracting/construction route.

You can still pursue other things part-time while keeping food on the table with driving.

Moving will cost money too--anything you can start without moving is probably a better choice.

Good Luck.

--Joe
  • jgpjgp Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    <
    sent Tools an email :)... (is Mrs. RL Downs)