In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ever had this Fleabay experience?

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is a little rant... hopefully not enought to get poofed. I was bidding on a motorcycle as were other people. Every time one of us had the top bid there was a bid bigger than ours by someone with a NEW screen name created THAT DAY with NO feedback. HMMMM... do you think that this person was probably either making new ids and bidding on their own item or possibly having their friends do it for them... I sure do. I'm not stupid. I'm waiting to see the item re-listed again because a person with a new screen name that was created that day won the auction and so far neither the buyer or seller have feedback and it's been over a month. - Toe

Comments

• HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Appears that way--on the bright side, the seller has to pay the fees![;)]

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
    Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a shill to me. You might drop a line to safe harbor reporting it as possible shill bidding.
    Otherwise the seller may jack the bidding again. Net result is costing the buyer more than it should.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Sure sounds like a shill to me. It's a good rule to always do a search on the seller's completed items and see what you find, bidding patterns, etc.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen shill bidding at its worst on E-bay[:(!]Last year I bid
    On a 1990 K5 Blazer which had 27 bids and went up to $2,950 my Max was
    2700 because thats what it was worth to me.The following week i noticed the truck was relisted so i placed my bid of $2700 again
    the bids ran up to 2,750 OK i was out bid again No big deal......The following week The truck is up for sale AGAIN! now i research the last two auctions and found most of the SAME bidders were jacking up the bids(all new with 0 Feedback) and Both the winning bidders were New aswell[:(!] and NO feedback was left on the last two transactions
    on either end.YOU HAVE TO WATCH YOUR SELF ON E-BAY, it loaded with crooks nowadays and getting worse.

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I've been pretty lucky so far. Everyone I've dealt with has been on the up-and-up. No backtracking, no "not-as-advertised" items... a few $%^holes try to outbid me, but what did I expect?
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    The best way to bid on ebay is to be an "Ebay Sniper."

1. Never bid early on anything. Put the item in your watch section of 'my ebay.'
    2. Figure what the absolute highest amount you're willing to pay for the item.
    3. Be at your puter as the auction winds down.
    4. Have a clock in with a second hand with you.
    5. Figure out to the second when the auction will end.
    6. With 30 seconds to go, place your bid.

Bidding early only pushes up the price, and lets others know you're interested in the item. 'Sniping' leaves very little time for others to respond with another bid.

Here's an expample of how it worked for me:
    I was wanting a 'Quick-Bob' gas tank for my Harley. The suggested retail price for the tank was $425.00. I found one on fleabay and put it on my watch list. I emailed the seller, finding out it was a brand new tank in the box, and the seller was an independant bike shop in Toledo, OH. I figured my bid would be $325.00, and if I won I'd be saving $100.00 over buying one from my local dealer.

As the auction wound down, I'm at my puter. Watching the auction and the second hand on my clock, I'm ready, hitting my refresh button every 30 seconds. With 5 minutes to go, it's at $200.00. With one minute to go, it's at $220.00. With 30 seconds to go I put my bid in, $325.00.

The auction ended and I won the tank. All you have to do to win is beat whoever's in first place. The bidding had gone up some, and was at $255.00 when I actually placed my bid, so I got it for $260.00.

With the 15 minute rule here on GB, you can't 'snipe' to win. But on that other site, 'sniping' is the way to win those things you really want.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    James, you snipe with 30 sec's left? That is to risky especially with all the DSL out there. I like to go down to the wire, my record is a win with 1 second left. A friend of mine won one with 0 sec's left. Never bid with more than 10 sec's left, too many snipers.[:)]

Happy Sniping

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    If I could snipe I would but I have a life.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got nailed by two different shill bidders on Ebarf motors, same deal on each. I placed my max bid and was outbid then at the last moment(I call this reverse sniping[:D]) the high bid was retracted leaving me sit at my max bid. Both times I informed Ebarf and both times I was not responisble for the purchase. The bid retractions came from buyers with 0 feedback and when they cancelled the bids in the closing seconds alarms went off.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I have to snipe with about 30 seconds left. I've got an old slow puter, and by the time I get my bid in, it's about ended.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet