In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What in the world's going on?!

fn49fanfn49fan Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
Went to the Gun Show today in Dallas. First time in years that I had to park 3 blocks away and then stand in a line that was a block long out the door and down the street. Went inside and almost had sticker shock over the price raise. Stripped AR-15 lower that you could have gotten for $99.00 dollars a month ago were going for $199.00 dollars (Not even brand names). The old metal AR-15 mags were going for $18.00 bucks but don't try finding Magpul ones. Even here at GunBroker, people are selling Magpul's for outrageous prices. Five (5) mags for $125.00 bucks! Hell, a few months back, I bought my Magpul's for $17.00 a mag (that's $85.00 for 5). I know the future looks slim with an Antigun President and Vice President coming into power. But really, do we need to gouge the price of things so soon?! We finally get gas prices down to a decent level and now people want to sell AR/AK rifles and high capacity mags at out of this world prices. Lord help me![/font=Comic Sans MS]

Comments

• Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't even go to Market Hall for that reason. Too many crazy folks right now.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    It is called Obama getting elected and Pelosi and Reid going to run the place.
  • Options
    sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real question is - Will we look back at this time in 3, 6, or 9 months from now and say - Man I wish I would have bought that gun or lower when it was at today's prices. The unknown is what will drive you crazy. Keep in mind that as dealers sell their current inventory many of the prices we are seeing are the prices that dealers are having to pay to replace their inventory....
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Hi cap mags are like insurence. You pay but hope you dont need them.[;)]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,451 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    What you are observing is free enterprise in action. A fella is in the business of selling goods. He puts a price on his goods and if someone buys something, that's what it is worth. No gouging going on.

Do I think prices are outrageous? Absoultely! That's why I have bought very little gun stuff this year and none since May, except some 22 ammo and a 22 rifle at a estate sale yesterday.
  • Options
    fn49fanfn49fan Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.k, let me get this right. When they raise the price of gas to outrageous hights, people call it "gouging" because they know that oil is being pumped this month at the same cost as a few months ago. Yet, when people raise the price of magazines, AR's, and AK's. That's just good old "free enterprise" even though we know that the cost making those items are the same now as they were before.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    You should have bought your magazines last month while they were still cheap.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trouble is, dealers may not be able to replace any semiautos after the new president takes office.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    What you are observing is free enterprise in action. A fella is in the business of selling goods. He puts a price on his goods and if someone buys something, that's what it is worth. No gouging going on.

Do I think prices are outrageous? Absoultely! That's why I have bought very little gun stuff this year and none since May, except some 22 ammo and a 22 rifle at a estate sale yesterday.

...as long as it's not a black gun...or black gun related, I'll take care of you.[:)] I've got to make it where I can, and while I still can.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fn, I went to the Saxet show in San Antonio today.

Packed to the gills, every dealer who had ARs had lines for people to fill out 4473s and get NICs checks done. Prices on basic model DPMS and Bushmaster 223s were up in the $1400 range, saw no BPMS 308s but they had one Remington R25 308 and wanted $1899 for it (HOLY CRAP).

Just about passed out when I found a Springfield Armory M1A standard that was tagged at $1800.

Ruger Mini 14s ranged between 750 and 980. Yugo SKS was averaging about $325 and WASR 10s were $699.

Man the prices have gotten crazy. And you are right about the Magpuls, none in there at all.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    black gun, blue gun, pink gun....anyone panic buying is nuts.
    we aint gonna see no revolution.
    people are just buying for one reason....

REASALE LATER$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    People do stupid things when they get scared. The really stupid ones will run out and buy things that are not worth a third of the asking price.

It is up to the individual to leave the stuff sitting on the shelf.

A good example is one local Circuit City store that is closing. They have everything marked down to "liquidator prices". With it closing everything is sold as is and without a warranty. The local news was there letting people know that came out of the store that they could drove another fifteen miles and gotten the same stuff cheaper at another Circuit City that was not closing and gotten it with a warranty.

It was funny watching those dumb * get an expensive education on camera due to their own stupidity.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,451 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by MT357

...as long as it's not a black gun...or black gun related, I'll take care of you.[:)] I've got to make it where I can, and while I still can.
    Absoutely, make it while ya can!! I'm just standing on the sidelines right now watching the circus. I talked to a guy yesterday, and we're going to go to the Puyallup gun show next Sat.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I just wish I'd gone to the credit union and borrowed a thousand dollars or so back in August.

Buy a few AR lowers, not many though as I'm not a dealer. Spend the rest on Pmags!!!!

List 'em on GB and have a great Christmas fund!!!

Course if I'd done that all this wouldn't have happened!