In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Andy Rooney draws some HEAT

FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just something interesting I read today on Foxnews. Hope CBS takes it to heart.

NEW YORK - Andy Rooney (search) set the phone and e-mail lines at CBS buzzing over his commentary - in which he said God was speaking through him - calling Mel Gibson (search) and the Rev. Pat Robertson (search) "wackos."

CBS said Monday it received its heaviest audience response to a "60 Minutes" report since Rooney's commentaries on the Iraq war last spring.

The network wouldn't specify how many calls or e-mails were received. "60 Minutes" spokesman Kevin Tedesco said it was "several times the normal feedback."

On Sunday's broadcast, Rooney commented on Robertson's January statement that he believes God has told him that President Bush would be re-elected in a "blowout" in November.

Rooney said God had spoken to him, saying, "I wish you'd tell your viewers that both Pat Robertson and Mel Gibson strike me as wackos."

"They're crazy as bedbugs, another earthly expression," Rooney said, quoting God. "I created bedbugs. I tell you, they're no crazier than people."

Rooney showed clips of Gibson talking to ABC's Diane Sawyer about Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ."

Robertson didn't seem too upset about the commentary on Monday.

"Mel Gibson has, without a doubt, created the finest motion picture on the life of Christ of all time," he said. "I am very happy to be linked by Andy Rooney to a talented genius of the order of Mel Gibson."

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Rooney's the wacko!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O'Reilly gave it to Rooney tonight, respectfully, with one barrel, citing his long career . . . politely suggested he might have "lost it" and it could be time for him to get out of broadcasting. Rooney used to be an amusing curmudgeon, but everything I've seen or heard in recent years has simply been an unpleasant whine.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Parity, sarcasm, and dry humor is not always easy to identify. I feel that the odds of God talking to either Robertson or Rooney are about equal - which was Rooney's point. I think his closing statement was pretty good. He asked Mr. Gibson just how many millions of dollars he expected to make on the death of Christ. My guess it is many.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Mel Gibson financed the movie himself! That's taking a big chance in my opinion. He took the chance, putting his money on the line, and it could be a bust.

Chances are it won't be. With all the things I've read, Mel Gibson is actually trying to send the true story about the death of Christ.

Some critics say the movie is too violent. Anyone that's watched some of the History Channel's stories about executions in the long ago past know that in the past, men were much more cruel. Not only did they want to execute a person, they wanted the person to suffer.

I like all of the movies Gibson has starred in, from Mad Max to the Lethal Weapon movies.

I haven't seen this one, but admire him for his courage in making it.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet