In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Folding Stocks

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The other thread on SKS vs AK got me wondering what the rules really are about folding stocks on the SKS. You can still buy pre-ban folding stocks, but if you can't legally install them then why bother buying one? Is it the same as buying hi-cap mags -- can't be made anymore, but can still be legally bought and used, right? My ignorance is really showing through, so maybe you folks can set me straight.

Comments

• idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy/own hi-cap ("full cap") mags that were manufactured before the ban. The SKS is a very touch subject when it comes to adding politically incorrect features like a folding stock. I wouldn't monkey with it.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't monkey with alterations, or with asking the question?
  • rdcinmnrdcinmn Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy a C&R SKS you can put a folding stock on it.
    The AWB is due to expire soon and I don't think there's time to pass AWB2 before the first sunsets.
    This means folding stocks,bayonets,pistolgrips & high caps for everyone!

Ellsworth.gif

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1848
    edited November -1
    Does the date of manufacture determine if it is C&R? So the old military ones would be C&R but not the Norinco's, right? And you say the ban is about to expire?
    edited November -1
    Does the date of manufacture determine if it is C&R? Yes So the old military ones would be C&R but not the Norinco's, right? Yes, all the C&R I've seen are the "old military ones" the AWB does not apply to C&R guns. And you say the ban is about to expire? Yes it expires in sept. of this year.
    Go to www.asbansunset.com for more info on the ban.

Ellsworth.gif

www.awbansunset.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1848
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I never have modified any of my guns much so haven't been up on all the rules.
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can buy folding stocks and install them on guns made before the assult weapons ban but you cant install them on guns made after the ban.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Since I love hi-cap mags and folding stocks I really, really want all the postive info I read here to be correct. But I have gotten it from some pretty good sources that you CANNOT installed a folding stock on ANY gun UNLESS it is a REPLACEMENT stock on a gun that had a folding stock on it BEFORE the 1993 so-called AWB went into effect. And of course you can't install a folding stock on a "post-ban" gun because obviously it could not have had that folding stock on it before the ban went into effect because that gun did not exist at that time.

Now I know I (and others) should go to the source and just find out, but I don't have the time. But while I am maybe just shooting off my mouth here, at least the advice I am giving WILL NOT GET ANYONE IN TROUBLE because I am playing it safe and urging anyone unsure to not do it untill you find out. And when you do, please let me know. Thanks.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
    edited November -1
    Ok, now I'm pretty confused. Anybody know where I could read up on this subject? Also, how can you determine when a gun was manufactured?
    edited November -1
    Ok, I was wrong.
    No folding stocks allowed on any SKS-unless the AWB sunsets.

Ellsworth.gif

www.awbansunset.com