In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo Shortage ???

William81William81 Member Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Did anyone else see the piece on a shortage of .223 Ammo for our troops. I only caught the tail end of it. It was on 2 or 3 days ago on CNN or Fox.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....

Comments

• old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was on Fox, yes I saw it it was a short segment at Lake City first time ever we cant keep up with useage.

psalms 16
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I havent heard that one but I believe someone here posted something about the Army Reserves being short on 9MM ammo though.Of course a .223 shortage dont seem possible to me. Uncle Sam surely was prepared for a bigger battle to take Iraq than there was.(Due to our awesome Military)But it seems if there was a shortage it would not take long to re supply.

Old 06 beat my reply so there is a shortage?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now all small arms ammo is at the lake city plant they stated that they may have to sub some of it out.

psalms 16
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is/was a shortage, then why are we still continuing with our annual training plans to burn up our normal amounts of .223 ammo on the ranges? This is total hogwash, I dont care who reported it. We have so much .223 ammo, it would take a real war to deplete it.

I dont know how there could be a shortage of it, unless they mean they are having a difficult time maintaining the level of surplus they want to have, and I still dont see how thats possible. We fire more rounds in training in one day on one range than what is fired in hostilities in, more than likely, a month. Thats no bullcrap either. Line up 50 shooters per relay, 6 relays, on just one range, and give each of them 45 rounds to fire. If we fire more than 13,500 rounds per month, in the current combat situation, I'd be surprised to find that out, since there would be a lot more dead enemy lying around, at least if the Marines were doing the shooting.[;)]

"Never argue with an idiot.... They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

"I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem."

Ryan
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Robs, the problem is the lake city plant is the only one in production. The govt. used to have three I believe, and they decided to have only one, probably part of the clinton defense budget cuts. They are going 24/7 at lake city and can't keep up.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
    edited November -1
    There is a prime terrorist target waiting to happen.[V]

"Never argue with an idiot.... They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Ryan
    edited November -1
    I also read where the military was reverting back to m-14's and such due to this. I'll have to see if I can find that...

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
    edited November -1
    This is from SFTT.org, an article written by Col. David Hackworth.

......West Point-trained Lt. Col. Carlson - coincidentally the daughter of retired Col. Jerry Carlson, who served with great distinction alongside of me in Korea and Vietnam - said that our Lake City ammo plant in Missouri "has gone to three shifts."
    Sources say that Lake City - both the largest Army ammo facility in the world and the producer of all the Pentagon's small-arms ammo - has reached "capacity" and "units in the field still don't have the right stuff to do the job."
    A regular Army major just back from Iraq says: "President Bush told the armed forces, `Help is on the way.' But in Iraq and now in the training business, I've seen very little help, but a whole lot of pork."
    You'd think that our Congress would have the good sense to read the coffee grains and demand that we reopen other ammo plants to prepare for a long, dangerous and most critical global war in which our very way of life is at stake.

The address of David Hackworth's home page is Hackworth.com. Sign in for the free weekly Defending America column at his Web site. Send mail to P.O. Box 11179, Greenwich, CT 06831. His newest book is "Steel My Soldiers' Hearts."

edited November -1
    I never knew that Lake City was in MO. Big surprise there I guess. Senator Ike Skelton has single handedly seen to it that MO has become the spinal cord of the military forces training center for at least 5 different schools which are only taught at Ft. Leonard Wood, for all branches of the military. I see he's also seen to it that no other state produces ammo also. Brilliant move for MO, politics at its best. Since most people in MO arent higher educated, and there is nothing but minimum wage paying jobs throughout the state, I bet the Senator is real proud of his accomplishments, at the expense of undermining the military's ability to train as well as before, and creating just such a problem as this one in regards to the ammo situation, which I still find hard to believe though. We just arent using that much ammo. Whatever, the hype will ensure Skelton's constituents continue to have jobs and he gets reelected.

Ryan
  • intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    robsguns--- I take exception with your inference that Missourians are uneducated hicks! We man have as much "pork" as any other state, but to infer that most of us are uneducated is unfair! Between myself, my wife, and my three children, we have a total of 21 years of college, and number three child isn't done yet! I do agree that we should have fore than one ammo plant, and I think it should be far removed from the Lakecity facility. Missouri is also the home of former congressman Harold Volkmer, who was a staunch suporter of the NRA and gun rights. If youn have followed the NRA for very many years, I'm sure you have heard his name. Intercessor
    edited November -1
    Intercessor,

Cool your jets bud, I never stated anything about MO folks being uneducated hicks. I simply stated what I stated, and infered nothing.
    I have a very good friend that lives near Ft. Leonard Wood, who would likely agree with my assessment, and so would my father, who lives about 1.5 hrs. from Ft. Wood also. I dont think MO folks are mostly lacking higher education, like myself, I KNOW THIS. All you need to do is take a drive through the state and the evidence is on the wall. For people like the ones that live in MO, any job is welcome, just as it is in my home state. MO is a poor state, but a lot of money doesnt mean much to a lot of people there. I actually agree with that.

I have a real feeling of contempt for the way Skelton has screwed with the military in placing the schools all in one location. I also suspect he has been quite happy learning that the Lake City plant is overwhelmed with orders for ammo.

All of these things were probably done under the guise of cutting costs, well, I dont know how much money it is supposedly saving us, but the end results are not worth any savings, and judging from the current deficit, I'm thinking it failed to save us much, along with a lot of other 'great' ideas.
  • intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    Consider me cooled. I pretty much agree with your position on Lake City and Ft. Leonard Wood. Have a good week.