In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

18 Wheeler Smuggling Meth

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Raul and Aquileo got a lot of 'splainin to do...

11 News Raleigh

Sunday, May 20, 2018
LINDEN, N.C. (WTVD) -- Investigators seized a semi-truck truck on Saturday that had $90.8 million worth of liquid methamphetamine in the driver's side fuel tank.

The truck was being handled by 49-year-old Raul Topete Arreola and 48-year-old Aquileo Perez Pineda. Each man has been charged with three counts of trafficking methamphetamine.

In total, there were 120 gallons of liquid meth in the tank, which, according to Harnett County Sheriff Wayne Coats, would be converted into 454 kilograms of crystal meth. This is estimated to have a street value of almost $91 million.

DQH7n4il.jpg
The fuel tank that stored the methamphetamine.

The semi-truck involved was a 2009 Peterbilt. It was seized near the 100 block of Will Lucas Road in Linden.

The two suspects were placed in the Harnett County Detention Center under a $3 million bond.

An immigration detainer has been issued for Pineda and ICE is looking into the immigration status of Arreola.
Report a Typo
Related Topics:
methamphetamineharnett county news
(Copyright ?2018 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

interesting video:

http://www.wnct.com/news/north-carolina/-90m-worth-of-meth-found-in-truck-s-fuel-tank-harnett-county-deputies-say/1189789875

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,416 ******
    edited November -1
    Almost sounds like an old episode from Hawaii Five O or Miami Vice, where they catch the bad guys, impound all the drugs, then the big wig cartel sends out a hit man and gets rid of the incarcerated dudes so they won't talk![:0]

90.8 million worth of crap should put a good sized dent in the suppliers assets! Tomorrow, the headlines will read about the 2 suicides in the county jail.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    Stuff my brown dog Allen!... (sorry, that's an aussie saying)...the $ amount stuns me!!!!!!!...for that amount of $$$$$ no wonder poor old Manuel will take the risk of smuggling!!!! [:0][:0][:0]
    poop it !!! I probably would be willing to try my luck too!!![:(][8)][:I][:(][B)][B)]
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,416 ******
    edited November -1
    That shiny gas tank is just a bit TOO CLEAN!!

It makes it very out of place and may have been what helped catch these guys.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm throwing the BS flag on this bust.

120 gal of water weighs pretty close to 454 KG. So, no way are you going to distill the solvent (not water, but probably close in weight) & end up with 454 KG of crystal meth. Or, $91M.

Sorry sheriff, but Mr Google is no substitute for a police lab.

Neal

"A man's got to know his limitations." --- Dirty Harry
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did BSR rent his Purple Nurple out![:0]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of the late 60's when 4 ounces of mary jane had an estimated street value, according to the police spokesperson, of $413,000. How do you get 900 pounds out of 120 gallons which would weigh barely more? Must be a super saturated solution.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, good thing you only brought out Smokes and Folks.[:D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is an informant set that one up. Someone is going to get clipped over that foul up.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Diesel fuel weighs 8# per gallon, 120 gallons is 960#. That looks like a 379/378 Peterbilt and the average tank capacity on those is 120 Gal wirh a useable capacity of 110 Gal, some Petes and KWs have 150Gal capacity with 140Gal useable. So 900# of liquid is quite possible. As to the weight of liquid meth and what it would take to make that much I have no clue but from the trucks side it is quite possible, just block off one tank and off ya go. I would think that the driver knew full well what was going on, this isn?t like someone unknowingly picked up a load of lettuce that had drugs hidden in it, that driver knew not to fuel both tanks, he is a dead man.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As above, that tank is much to clean , what a pair of dumbazzes
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go big or go home... or jail... forever
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone forgot the old adage about not putting all your eggs in one basket. I suspect that someone is VERY upset & will be looking to make people pay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Someone forgot the old adage about not putting all your eggs in one basket. I suspect that someone is VERY upset & will be looking to make people pay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why are all my posts being doubled? And why not this one? Now it was. Weird.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why are all my posts being doubled?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Diesel fuel weighs 8# per gallon, 120 gallons is 960#. That looks like a 379/378 Peterbilt and the average tank capacity on those is 120 Gal wirh a useable capacity of 110 Gal, some Petes and KWs have 150Gal capacity with 140Gal useable. So 900# of liquid is quite possible. As to the weight of liquid meth and what it would take to make that much I have no clue but from the trucks side it is quite possible, just block off one tank and off ya go. I would think that the driver knew full well what was going on, this isn?t like someone unknowingly picked up a load of lettuce that had drugs hidden in it, that driver knew not to fuel both tanks, he is a dead man.

Liquid meth is heavier than diesel, its about the consistency of 10-20wt oil.
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=710424
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes me wonder how many other trucks got past the authorities. That couldn't be the only truck outfitted that way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure it still go's , on a old truck driver friend told me he was offered XXX amount of cash ( a Lot ) to park his truck in a certain spot for the night and when he got to XX location spend the night leave the truck for the night and ask no questions , he told me he was offered the same deal several times in Texas .. he would never do it but the $$ was tempting
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grdad45
    Makes me wonder how many other trucks got past the authorities. That couldn't be the only truck outfitted that way.

Sometimes the runners will send a sacrificial truck and let a tip send the cops after it, while the cops are busy with that truck the big haul gets through. The cops get a bust and some TV time and the drugs get to where they need to be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    I am sure it still go's , on a old truck driver friend told me he was offered XXX amount of cash ( a Lot ) to park his truck in a certain spot for the night and when he got to XX location spend the night leave the truck for the night and ask no questions , he told me he was offered the same deal several times in Texas .. he would never do it but the $$ was tempting

It isn?t worth it, not enough cash to make me want to do it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

Liquid meth is heavier than diesel, its about the consistency of 10-20wt oil.
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=710424

You have hauled a lot of that have you Trap?
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They should've took a lesson from the old moonshiners they ran a tank inside of the stock tank and filled the void area with diesel
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once HAD a cousin who hauled from Texas back north on a regular route and apparently thought he could either ?supplement? his income along the way or else decided to maybe get involved some other way. The law found him face down in a swamp in NJ with several bullets in the head. ?Fast Eddie?, as we called him, apparently messed with the wrong folks. These two may not be long for this world either.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this article, when this 960 lbs or liquid is distilled it will weigh more than it does now. That is a neat trick indeed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:You have hauled a lot of that have you Trap?
    No Dale, I've had a few lapses in judgement before, but never anything that stupid. Yes, I know you're just yanking my chain.[:)]
    One lapse is why I know more about it than I should, and I'm sure a few here wonder why. That lapse was making a bounty hunt personal after a death threat to my family. To nail him, I went into places and hung out with people so dark, you could never imagine them.
    In the process, I saw and learned everything about making meth from start to finish. What Jerry said above is true, a good cooker can double the weight and volume in the final process. A real good one can make it even more potent to the point that it has to be cut 30-50% before it hits the streets.
    Never tried to collect the bounty. The DEA gave him 20 to life, he died there shortly afterwards, and not from natural causes. If you were reading newspapers back then, you saw some front page stories that only touched on what was really going on. I'll tell you the whole story over a beer sometime.
    Clouder was one of the few that knew the whole story, and wanted to do a book about it. I told him he could never do that, not even as fiction. I'll tell you why over the beer.
    That was my last bounty hunt, my family is safe, and I live a different life now. Maybe boring in comparison, but I can sleep at night without a .45 in my hand.[:)]
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAPPSS.
    I never bounty hunted but I did work with the Alabama bureau some on drugs. Back then Meth was not a big deal. It was opiates and pot. When Alabama when wet all the bootleggers went to growing pot. The hard stuff was LSD and Heroine. That was back in the early 70s. I still sleep with a 9mm but not because I have to it's just a habit. My son was killed by a dealer when he was 23 and they tried to kill my wife also. The Georgia state patrol got the guy who killed my son. He was convicted and they told me he would never live long in the chain gang. I promised my new wife I would never do it again. Lots of bad police down there back then. It was hard to tell who was who.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jerry, sorry about your son, I've lost some close friends to the same thing. One of the reasons I have no sympathy at all for the animals that make and sell it.
    Never made bounty hunting a profession, just learned the trade from someone that was good at it. Worked with him just long enough to learn what I needed to know. I was after the guy that murdered my best friend right in front of me. Fortunately, he was the type that begged a bullet to the head, and someone obliged him before I caught up to him.
    Dangerous business, and they say that God watches over fools. I'm sure I gave him plenty to do.[:)]