In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I feel like I need one

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
There's always those guns out there that I never end up buying, mostly because I just always feel like that gun will be available some other time. I've always meant to break down and get a model 94 either winchester or marlin, in either .44 Mag, or .357. So now I think I'll actually get off my butt and buy one, any suggestions as to which brand and which caliber? I'm kind of leaning toward the .44 magnum. Eventually I'd like to own lever guns in about a dozen different calibers, but it will probably be sometime (years) before I break down and buy another lever gun. I think SP's post about what are you missing got me thinking, because I don't own any lever guns.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller

Comments

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get a pre-crossbolt safety Winchester 94 Trapper with 16" barrel. They came in .44Mag, .45LC and 30-30 and still run about $300-$350 NIB.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I have the Marlin 1894 Cowboy with the Octagon barrel, in 44 mag! It 's a very nice gun, but it is quite a bit more than the Winchester.

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I've got the round barrelled 94 Marlin in 44 mag. Holds 11 rounds and is easy to put them all in a 4" hole at 75 yds with the stock sites.I'll have to look up which load I made for the rifle that worked so well. Little recoil and accurate with 300gr. jacketed flat nosed soft points. I'd like to get one of those triggers that cure the floppy trigger syndrome on a cocked Marlin.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Buy a Winchester 94 in the 44 mag.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GET THE WINCHESTER! Why? I don't know. I just like 'em! They just "feel" better to me than the Marlin's. Your experience might be differnt though! Buy what YOU like.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skip all the levers and get a Ruger .44 mag carbine instead! [:p]

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definately go with the Winchester. Get one to match your revolver. If you have .357 revolver get a .357 lever action, and so on.

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X

Definately go with the Winchester. Get one to match your revolver. If you have .357 revolver get a .357 lever action, and so on.

Don't think Winchester makes a .357 lever.
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15487615

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    edited November -1
    H.S. 10-X: That's a new one on me. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:H.S. 10-X Posted - 02/10/2004 : 8:16:07 PM

I have both, .357 magnum revolvers and .44 magnum revolvers. I usually find myself camping with one of each. But I've found the farther back into the woods I go the, bigger the caliber of gun comes with me...

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
    edited November -1
    Then you have to get both a lever .357 and .44. It wouldn't be fair for one revolver to not have a matching lever action. You might hurt it's feelings.[:(]
    I'm looking to get a lever in .454casull sometime in the future. That should make one hell of a bushwacker at close range.
    10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I just watched the movie The Edge for the first time. Get the 45-70 Browning!!!

Actually I own a Browning lever carbine in .44 mag and it is a wonderful little gun. Anything from a bear on down is fair game. It is the same size and about the same weight as the .357 levers but much more punch. I watched a black bear come into bait this spring and no tall tails here -- I knicked named him "The Volkswagon" as that is how big the bruiser was. I was sitting in my stand and when I saw that pig come waddling in and having trouble getting his head into the top of a 35 gal. barrel, I was wishing I had more that sticks and strings in my hand. He was a cagy old brute and gave me about a 4 second opportunity if I had been ready.

I say the .44 if you want a short powerful lever. However, I also have the 45-70 lever and it is long and heavy but it will substitute for an axe if you forget yours at home.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you need the Browning o/u first.[:D]
    edited November -1
    trapp55 you going to that gun show still this weekend?

R/

Dave

edited November -1
    Yep, you and Ryan coming? We can shoot something after.
    edited November -1
    I don't think Ryan will be allowed out this weekend, because of Valintines day, I think I'd like to head up there, look around then if we have time get some shooting in though. I'm stuck at work right now, not a damn thing going on but I only worked about 5 hours in the last week, so they won't let me leave yet.

R/

Dave

edited November -1
    Good! I want to get every penny's worth of my tax dollars![:D][:D][:D]