In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hey ! there is a sea lion in my corn field!

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
(or should I title it, "just another day as a LEO") [:D] [:D] [:D]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Why did the sea lion cross the road in central California farm country?

That's what state wildlife officials were trying to figure out on Tuesday, a day after a male sea lion was spotted wandering in a farmer's field about 65 miles inland and about a mile from a canal, the nearest body of water.
2837990_200X150.jpg

Police and wildlife officials in Los Banos were skeptical when reports about the 315-pound sea lion started arriving about 7 a.m. on Monday.

A dubious California Highway Patrol officer making a traffic stop on the same street was the first to the scene after he was alerted by a passing motorist in the town about 120 miles southeast of San Francisco.

"He went to check it out, and lo and behold, there was a sea lion in a farmer's field," CHP Officer Mike Panelli said.

When he got the call an hour later, California Department of Fish and Game biologist Greg Gerstenberg thought he would find a large otter or beaver roaming the farmland.

"We didn't believe it could be a sea lion, or a seal as they called it at first," Gerstenberg said. "Sometimes what people see and what it is are different. I had never heard of a sea lion in Merced County."

The creature was dubbed "CHiPpy" -- based on the nickname for highway patrol officers -- after he climbed up on a CHP squad car to sun himself and gaze at the growing crowd of gawkers while awaiting volunteers from the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito to come and round him up, Gerstenberg said.

Biologists and volunteers from the center herded the barking sea lion into a pen and took him to the facility just north of San Francisco for a checkup.

On Tuesday, CHiPpy, who is believed to be about five years old, was lolling in the California sun and soaking up attention from TV cameras, Cynthia Schramm, Marine Mammal Center spokeswoman, said.

"He's in very good shape and our veterinarians will take a blood test to see if he has any illnesses or infections related to his journey," Schramm said. "We will make a decision at that time when and where he will be released."

Gerstenberg said the sea lion probably swam up the San Joaquin River in pursuit of fish and became lost in a series of canals that crisscross some of the state's most fertile farmlands in a journey of more than 100 miles.

"There are lots of little crossings over the canals and probably when he reached ... a wider crossing he didn't find the other side and he started wandering up the road."

gun1.gif
"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
hsas371x48.gif
Santa_Cruz.gif
[img][/img]

Comments

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Yeah right and theres a sea monster in my shorts!!![^]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Doesn't "Los Banos" mean "The baths?" Makes sense to me.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I saw it on the news

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    No!

That is a donut fed Highway Patrolman that has been mistaken for a Walrus!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    Yeah right and theres a sea monster in my shorts!!![^]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] YOU WISH !!!![:D][:D][:D][}:)]
    To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF, Woulda made a nice wall mount![:D] Biologist found a "large caliber slug" in the back of it's head.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAP55

NA they rate right up there with Seagulls [;)] They are a pain fishing sometimes but fun to watch.

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, I shall point out that without fail, this lost soul was more than likely of the masculine persuasion and upon taking a left, when he should have turned right, he found himself in an area not of his choosing. Yet, without fail, he could not, would not, stop and ask for directions to the nearest Ocean and found himself landlocked and the center of attention.

Dare I say he was lost, NO! He, knew where he was, he just did not know how to get there from here so to speak. And being of the fine resource that he was he availed himself of the hospitality of the locals and now is enjoying untold attention.

***KATN!***
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang, that's harsh, susie.

Clouder..
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Los Banos is not far from Merced, which is not far from me. I've been through it twice, both times taking the "back way" home from up north.

I'd surely believe it. The canals in this flat valley go on for miles. And miles. And miles.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Los Banos, Means restroom don't it? I go through there all the time, i was thinking more like "outhouse".[:D]