In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SaxonPig re: Statue of Liberty

ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
At the request of other forum members, I've moved the debate over to another thread.

At the time, there was little iconography that could truly be considered "American." The toga, the torch, the rays of light... it was pure Classical Greek. To say, "Oh, well, no, it was ours by that point" is not only a weak comeback, it's not true.

American architecture was influenced at the time by the ancient Greeks due to the fact that the Greeks were the first known democracy. That we, America, copied their style does not mean that we appropriated that style. No one but those who don't know any better says, "Wow, look at the architectural style of the Capitol (yet another word we appropriated, this time from the Romans)... that's PURE American!"

There is no denying that most of our monumental structures bear the influences of other cultures. America is a young country and even younger culture. We have very little we can claim, rightfully, as 100% our own. One prime example of where we can: The Vietnam Memorial.

Now there is no denying that the Statue of Liberty is an American icon. Any fool around the world would identify her as American. But as far as her iconography goes, taken in part, they are nothing but Classical Greek and any art history expert will tell you so.

SHE may be 100% American, but her symbolism is most certainly not.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    eloquently, even beautifully written Saxon!

He Dog
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Simply put, the French people who gave us the statue, are not the French people of today. I recall an article written by an American soldier after 9/11. He was at an air base in France, and a very old man on a bicycle was standing outside the fence with tears in his eyes. I remind you, this was already after the French government had said they would not support us in any military action against Afganistain or Iraq. The you soldier walked over to the fence and asked the man if he was OK. In very broken english, the old man told him he loved the American soldiers for saving his life and freeing his country during WWII. He had riden the bicycle all the way down to the air base when he heard that the soldiers would be there, just so he could see them again before he died.

A few French remember, most don't have a clue.

Saxon,

Thank you for your well written opinions, research and statement of intellectual facts. I understood your original message from your original post and agreed with it 100%. What we did for France in the past was worth it, and the truth is, we would do it again because we are a nation who cares for humanity. Those that wish to politicise everything seem bitter human beings to me.

Monkey,

Is any of this of real importance? I beg you to open your eyes to the truth and not be influenced by any single political party. Most all of the accusations thrown out by the democrats in the last year have been disproven with facts, but they are not honest enough to stand up and admit it. I would think long and hard before I allowed myself to be associated with such a dishonest group of liars.

All due respect meant to both members.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    I think we should disassemble the Statue of Liberty and send it back to France where it came from. That'll show those Frenchies. [;)]

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Had a friend who gave me a gift for helping him out in a time of need. He was thankful and wanted to show his appreciation. I accepted the gift, and everytime I looked at it, I remembered what it stood for.[:D]

A generation later, his son was convicted for the rape and murder of a 12 year old girl and sent to prison.[:(!]

Now, what should I have done? Remember the friend and his gift, or return it because a later generation was evil?[?]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:I think we should disassemble the Statue of Liberty and send it back to France where it came from. That'll show those Frenchies.

I wouldn't give the French ANYTHING. Hell, let's take apart the Eiffel Tower and bring IT over here.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    The French "gave" the statue to the people of the USA. I think that it is up to the people to decide if they want to keep it or not.
    The discussion on the merits of the design is about as pointless as what colour blue the sky is. I am sure that the designer may have changed his mind on several occasions while working on it!!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:...American architecture was influenced at the time by the ancient Greeks due to the fact that the Greeks were the first known democracy. That we, America, copied their style does not mean that we appropriated that style.

It doesn't matter, does it, what American culture was doing at the time because the design of the statue was a French surprise, oui? In fact, when they shipped over one hand and foot to be displayed in advance, I believe it was the first clue Americans had of what the whole statue might look like when completed. So even if our own architects were in the midst of a Greek revival, it would not bear upon the look of a French-designed gift...

quote:The fact remains that this sculpture was intended to stand for America and its ideals and it really has nothing to do with Greece or any other nation.

Right. In fact the nearest historical cousin to Liberty is probably the Colossus of Rhodes. But in any case, the design was out of control of American architects and so did not make any statement about emerging American architectural style. It BECAME an American icon. (If we sent back every structure designed by a foreign architect, I wonder where that would leave us. It might leave some very large corporations without a world headquarters...)

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    What mateomasfeo said.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't really care that the statue came from the french, what grieves me is that america does not seem to be living up to the ideals represented by the structure & its history....were we, it seems this country would be held in respect & its standards emulated by more of the world.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Now I'm getting old and my memory doesn't work as well as it did once but I do beleive that the French originally tried to give the Statue of Liberty to someone else first, they turned it down for some reason and we ended up with it......
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent post Saxon!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob