In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Death Row......

gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
All this talk about the sicko that murdered the little girl got me thinking about something. I wanted to ask all of you your opinions on something my wife thinks is a good idea for members of death row. I personally think it's a good idea too. She has always believed that all persons on death row should have to surrender their organs for sick people who need an organ donor. In my opinion there needs to be something else they can do to contribute back to society besides sit and suck up all of our money!

So what do all of you think??[?][?][?]

I just came back in and had to add this edit to my post to be clear. I'm not talking about taking the organs for donation after the execution is followed through...I'm talking about taking them when needed IMMEDIATLY if necessary.

Comments

• ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also agree, and think that they should start doing that. I mean what is the point of killing the people on death row and not using their organs, when those organs could save the lives of other people?

Temperance.gif
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure about the organs. Loosing a kidney and living fine afterwards seems a small price to pay.

Mentioned this in another thread: cut off the tip of their pinky finger. Brand them as what they are for life.

If not death, that seems the best alternative IMO.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrOg
    Not sure about the organs. Loosing a kidney and living fine afterwards seems a small price to pay.

Mentioned this in another thread: cut off the tip of their pinky finger. Brand them as what they are for life.

If not death, that seems the best alternative IMO.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY

FrOg,

Oh, Im not talking about just a kidney... I'm talking about everything and anything up until they follow through with the death sentence.[}:)]
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    I'm sure I'll take a beating on this one, but I believe we should all be organ donors UNLESS we opt not to. Just think about how many folks (kids included) could be saved if the organs were provided unless a person decided not to. Same rules apply for the consent, only we reverse them. When you go down to the DMV for a DL, you must tell them you do NOT want to participate in the program, so, by default, your in and onboard for the big win!

As sad as it is, I do not think all folks who are NOT organ donors do not necessarily want to donate, I believe they've either not made their intentions known, or worse yet, or just to lazy to check the "yes" block on the back of the DL [V]. Of course, I may be wrong....

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gbeggrow
    [brOh, Im not talking about just a kidney... I'm talking about everything and anything up until they follow through with the death sentence.[}:)]

Oh, then you have my blessing[:D][;)]

Frog
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    frOg,

I'm with ya. Harvest them all until their ain't no more.... but what about the wrongfully convicted in the group [?]

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    There should be no such thing as Death Row...Convicted took to the courtyard and executed for such crimes.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it's an urban legend, but I've heard some horror stories involving EMT's, accidents, and people having organs taken when they still need them???

To whom much is given, much is expected.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Night Stalker

I'm with ya. Harvest them all until their ain't no more.... but what about the wrongfully convicted in the group [?][/b]

I agree. As with my prior idea of branding the killers with cutting off their fingers, the system will have to put a whole lot more effort into making absolutely sure (as much as possible at least) that the verdict is correct.

As for the case we're referring to here, however, it won't be much of a sell to convince a jury of this guy's guilt. Doesn't seem to be much doubt about it.

Frog
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toolmaniam
    There should be no such thing as Death Row...Convicted took to the courtyard and executed for such crimes.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif

AMEN to that toolmaniam!

Foreget the right to a speedy trial... how about the right to a speedy cruel and unusual punishment![}:)]
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    good ideer

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well its kinda hard to salvage organs after they have been cooked by 2800 watts (roughly the voltage florida usues to kill its condemned)im for cookin this dude and florida being the way they are..he will more than likely fry....10 yrs from now

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have one in Kalifornia set to be executed this next Tuesday for four murders he committed over twenty years ago. (Two adults & two young children.)
    Jesse Jackson showed up this week to protest about a "terrible rush to judgement."
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem with death row is that the scumbag who are on it never get to really enjoy the real prison experience. I've heard that cons don't take kindly to child abusers. Not sure if that is true but if it is they should all get to enjoy general population for a while before being put on death row.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, can't buy into this one. China already kills prisoners TO HARVEST THEIR ORGANS. This is America and I'm really surprised to read the comments here.

We have allowed the preversion of the justice system to not have a speedy trial AND a speedy punishment.

I have no problem with executing the jerk that killed the little Florida girl or anyone like that. Even let the family pull the switch if they want, but no torture or desecration of the body.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I am an organ donor as listed on my driver's license. Don't know if anyone will want my parts when I'm done with them. They'll most likely be worn out. The murderers and rapists on death row can keep their defective parts and shutup and die like they're supposed to. Maybe grind them up after for dog food or something if they want to be useful.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    The problem is that most methods of execution used destroy the usefulness of any organs for transplantation. Hanging and the firing squad would be methods that don't destroy as many organs.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Yes; short walk to the long drop at the ens of a short piece of rope![}:)]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im with toolmaniam, the individual if is guilt of a capital offense, "there is no doubt in its finding", shouldnt have to loung around in a cell for 10 or more years.

In the old west they hauled them out to a rope and ended the sentence then and there. Why have we changed to what we are today.

Its just plain stupid.

Get rid of them.

As for the guy in Florida. They should haul his worthless hide out to a ant hill, tie him down and spread syrup on his testicals. Then when the ants are done drop him into an alligator pit for a swim. I could go on but why.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER