In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Simpler times, just reflecting back a bit!

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
As I set here copying my old movies to dvd, I am reminded of things gone by! There is Poppy showing the kids how to make cider in his homemade cider press, us kids cranking our fool arms off on the old icecream maker! My grandfather cultivating his garden with the old push cultivator, he didn't need no fancy rototiller! Sledding downhill on cardboard boxes and car hoods hell we didn't know what a sled was! Then there are us four boys sitting on the steps at Easter time all holding one of those dye colored baby chick!

Then there were the guys who worked for the township standing on the back of a truck spreading cinders on the icy road with a shovel, hell these guys didn't need no fancy plow truck! How about old Tom Givan's, he was the richest guy in the county and if you looked at him you would swear he was the poorest! He wore old rags for clothes, and drove an old jeep! I remember him walking over to the crick by our house everyday to feed the fish!

The big excitement for us kids on the weekends was sitting on the curb and watching the stock cars go by on there way to the local track! Then there were the games of capture the flag, endless baseball games, hell we were out playing from dusk to dawn! We didn't need no video games to entertain us!

I can still see Gramma Wirtz and Gramma Shippey sitting on the front porch in their house dress's and aprons, snapping beans, or shucking pea's! How about them house dresses anybody remember them? Gramma used to dye her hair and for some reason it was always blue!!! We used to have cookouts, and used firewood or charcoal, there weren't any gas grills! The food tasted much better as well!

I often wonder, will my kids look back at this time in there lives when things are so hectic, and stressfull, and look at it as simpler times? I think not! I think this experience will be lost when our generation passes on!

Things are nice now, with all the new fancy contraptions and medical breakthroughs and such, but this is one guy that longs for the days when life was much simpler!

Guess Ive rambled enough!
Pa.

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    It's a funny thing, progress. Nodody ever asks if we want it or need it.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I look back and think of times past, It brings a tear to my eye. Because I run into a tree limb and poke it in my eye. Don't look back.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    With ya on the thoughts buddy, but give a think on this...

When your youngsters are your age they'll look back to "now",
    and remember the same simple times we speak of,
    because their world will be even more complicated as time moves on.

Pity the thought, huh? [;)]
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pabooger...I think I've said this before. You need to be putting all these thoughts and recollections of yours down on paper for your kids and their kids. It's good stuff. Years from now when you are worm food, so to speak, they will enjoy reading the priceless journals that you leave. Remember the hunting journal that Poppy left and how much you enjoy it? Do it for the kids. Hmmm, where have I heard that before? [}:)][}:)]
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, we sure have lost a lot just in the time I've been here. But as I replied on the "offended" thread, the parents raised the kids then, not Hellywood, I mean Hollywood.....no,.... Hellywood.
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There will be so many changes that it will be almost unimaginable when our kids our age now.

They will look back and say "man do you remember gasolene/diesel powered cars/trucks, they must have been like dinosuars"

That looking back is history and does repeat itself. It should never be forgotten, photos, recordings, journals, etc.

Write it down,record it, whatever, but dont let them forget from where they came and the good times that they did have growing into adults.

Their children might even ask "what is a gun" [:(]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Thats one of the main reasons Im recording my old movies to CD, they will be around a lot longer than the old tape format! It's been fun watching them all again! I can even delete the ex out of them!!![:D]

But I won't for the kids sake!!![:I]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pa: the kids might have to get an adaptor to play them then, as the disc, "if they still have discs" might be the size of a quarter and have ten times the storage.

Just think of how many movies one could get on one of those babies.[:D]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER