In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need advise from the 6mm shooters

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Need to find a bullet that will not handgrenade when hitting a coyote fired from a 243AI (almost identical velocites to the 6mm Rem) I want this bullet to have a good BC and be accurate enough for the long shots but yet inflict lethal but minimal hide damage. I am a big fan of Nosler Bal Tips and Sierra Game Kings but every rifle I shoot from the 223 to the 338 will leave softball to basketball sized holes in deer and I sure don't want to do that to a coyote that I will be having mounted. Any advise will be welcomed.

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    You ever hear of a needle and thread? Bullet holes in hides are easy to sew up. Or you might just want to try FMJ bullets or the Speer TNT's.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm nut,

I think that I would try the Barnes TSX:

Dia. Weight Description S.D. B.C. Cat. #
    .243 85 gr. TSX BT .206 .333 24341
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodtsx_new.php

These are proving to be very accurate and you are able to push them a bit faster than the standard 'X' bullets. They definitely will not "grenade" against a coyote hide and will more than likely leave a fairly small exit. But they will stand up to the velocity of the 243 AI since they are essentially a solid.

Best.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    My father used to press his bullets in backwards, for turkeys, punched a nice small hole clean thru them with no expansion! It will effect the accuracy less than you think at close ranges!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm nut: every try one of the FMJ that Hornady offers for the 6mm? Also the Matchking from Sierra will do little pelt damage as they dont expand any, if at all on game.

Hornady says that you still have to load them down to avoid pelt damage, but being a FMJ, I dont think that the damage from being fired at full velocities would be that bad compared to a Ballistic tip or hollow point design.

Just be sure of your backstop, as these babies will go though a lot of stuff before the stop even after hitting a coyote dead center.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER