In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

People get out of control at estate auctions!

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I went to an estate auction today to try and buy my ol lady a new-used car. The estate had a 1995 Caprice Classic with all the extras and only 63,000 miles. I knew the couple that had it and they had no children. The estate all goes to a trust fund to keep a sister that is in the nurseing home. They were known to keep everything in excellent shape. High retail on the car is $5000 but we all figured the car would sell for around $4500. When we looked in the dash we found where the car had been involved in an accident in 98 with $5000 worth of damage to the front and right side. It was fixed right but still it had been in a major wreck. I went with $5000 cash in my pocket but after seeing the paper work as to the wreck, we decided to go no higher than $4200. The auctioneer even announced to the public about the $5000 repairs from the wreck in 98. The car sold for $5800 dollars, that is $800 over High retail! Man did people get out of control on bidding on it. My last bid was $4200 and I cringed at that. There was a 92 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with 55,000 actual miles in the estate as well and it had dents in both sides of the bed, one cab corner, and on the hood. It had 1 mismatched tire on it and it brought $5800 as well which was $1500 over retail. What is up with todays auto market. I thought used auto sells were flat right now but not today. Everything at the sale went for as much as 10 times more than it was worth. I bought one item, a 3'x2'x1" marble slab for $40 for the ol lady to make pulled cream candy on in cold weather. A disappointing day to say the least. Still have to find her a car!

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

Comments

• Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found my 95 dodge van at autotrader.com, you kind of have to keep
    searching, but if you catch "fresh" listings you might find something.
    http://autotrader.com/?ac_afflt=none
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I always find the best deals in the newspaper classified ads.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Anymore a good deal at an estate auction is hard to come by. I haven't been to one in over a year for that reason.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    Only takes two fools to run an auction up. Around here, guns usually go the same way.
  • Options
    bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to a gun auction last Sunday they sold a sks with gernade launcher for 210. wish I had sold a couple of mine there
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talking about estate sales.I was at one last Saturday morning.I went out in the garage and was looking around when I saw a sign pointing to stairs to a basement with more stuff for sale.I started to go down the stairs and slipped ad jammed my hand into a pencil sharpener mounted on the wall.Cut the hell out of the ring finger on my left hand.We back to ask the people running the sale for somethng to put on my hand.They tried to sell me a open box of kleenex.Needless to say I blewup and told them what they could do with their sale.Greedy meanies,
    EvilDr235

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the big excitement here in Sun City. Every Thursday all of us old geezers make the rounds of all the estate sales. Stupid people could buy most of the items cheaper at the store. I wonder how many times these items get recycled as each of the buyers die & their stuff gets sold.
    Still you do sometimes find the rare bargain that makes it worthwhile.
    I have been to three bankruptcy auctions for gunstores & allmost all of the guns went for more than the full retail price.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:...went for more than the full retail price.

The auctioneer working his magic. I have noticed what looks like an auctioneers fast pace and the fact that they will let about every *TENTH* item on the block go for an ultra low price and then with the other *NINETY %* is where they make the difference while people minds are still thinking about how cheap the 1 out of 10 was sold for.
  • Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that when people see the word (estate) they think theres something special about it, making them bid more than its worth.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER