In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new carry gun (OK let me have it)

358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2003 in General Discussion
I know that I am asking for some interesting post here.
need to replace my carry gun, well I want to
just wonder what the gang here thinks is best
What caliber?
Wheel gun or auto?
At present my carry is a full size Springfield 45 but been thinking of going to a smaller wheel gun.
Now let me hear what you think? [:p] [:p]

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS<P>

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a sw scandium/titainium 357 .
    I'ts the best carry gun I've ever had.
    small light and I don't worry about stopping power.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Snubbies are great for summer when you look like an idiot for wearing a jacket. I carry a Colt Agent with a hammer shroud and shorty pachmayers in a little fanny pack.Easy to get at and 38 hollow points will suffice.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Glock model 30.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a revolver, check out the Smith&Wesson Performance Center's new 625 snubbie in .45 ACP. Plenty of oomph, and moon clip speed. (Not to mention just plain cool!) For an auto a Glock 30 or Sig p245. Good luck!
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    My wife likes her Colt Magnum Carry .357 - but she shoots 38+P hollows....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Shotgun News just did an article on conceal and carry guns and they rated the PA63 9mm X 18 as an excellent gun. It is cheap, around $100 wholesale and is light weight. It is made on the Walther design. I have one for the ol lady to carry and am getting 2 more to stick in the dashes of the other 2 vehicles. I personally carry a S&W 457 which is light for a 45. Snub nosed revolvers in the titanium class are excellent choices. No one gun fits all people as a conceal and carry gun. Read the June 9th issue of Shotgun News for some help if you can pick up a copy. Just my 2 cents worth.[8D]
  • Options
    PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up one of the S & W lightweight jobs a few weeks ago and was impressed. It didnt feel like much at all. I imagine it would be nice to carry. If you decide to stick with the auto, look at the Para Ordinance or Kimber, both make a nice compact .45.

"SOCIETY PREPARES THE CRIME, THE CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Most any of the titanium snubbies are OK, but think all are pretty brutal when it comes to recoil, I've shot a .38/.357, a .44 and a .41 and all three really smacked into my palm pretty good with the lessened frame wieght, enough to affect my accuracy slightly.

As far as an auto-loader, Gskyhawk nailed it first, so I'll cast a second vote for the Para-Ord CCW-745S with the "Lightening Double Action".

7+1 ain't far from what you have now and the mag release/safety/ect is pretty much same as the 1911 you're currently packin', this means very little to no "switchology" retraining, except that you've now moved into a DA.

Short of a Mini-Glock in .45 or .40 I'd say this is your best bet.

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a third vote for the Para-Ord CCW. As soon as the next gun show comes around I am going to pick one up.

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • Options
    .41Dude.41Dude Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vote goes to a 4" .357 revolver (S&W M19 or M66)
    Fairly light, good power, easy to use, easy to conceal.

But! If I was in Law Enforcement.

A top end .45 with a couple of extra mags would work for me.

Not very high tech, must be my age showing.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one comes up on a fairly regular basis - if it's going to be concealed carry, go with a Glock model 36.

BE QUICK - BE DEADLY!!!
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the advice here is excellent and covers it well -- I like the idea of the same "manual of arms" as your current Springfield, because there is such a thing as muscle memory and second nature. With Para making LDAs as small as the P-10 now and still having double-stack pre-ban mags available out there, I'd be very tempted to steer you toward another 1911 platform.

There's nothing wrong with the new generation of lightweight snubbies in .44 Special and .45 ACP either. I find both easy to control, but then I always liked Charter's small-frame .44 Bulldog so I'm not averse to a bit of recoil.

I'm reminded of a recent story on History Channel of a guy who was issued an M1 .30 carbine (110-gr. at 1700 fps). He hit an enemy soldier 5 times and the guy just kept on running, so the shooter took the carbine back to the quartermaster, got himself a Government .45, and had no further such problems. You gotta love big & slow for manstopping.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Ruger SP101 is concealable but heavy enough to be bearable even with 158gr loads; IMO.
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Revolvers I would check out Taurus Titaniums and for Autos I would definitely reccomend a Sig 239 in 9mm or 357 Sig. I've got both of the Sigs.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well folks today is mine and the wifes anniversary she said I could have one as long as it was under $700.00 so I will start the looking on Monday feels like a para CCW to me. [:p][:p][:p][:p]

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS<P>
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Sweet! I'm happy for ya, let us know how it all turns out....[8D]

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I like the glock 27. With finger extention on the mag it is reasonably controlable and comfortable for a conceal carry gun unless you have a very large hand.
  • Options
    macbthmacbth Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have heard many good things about the mini-glocks, and plan to pick up a model 30 myself as soon as funds permit, to serve as my first carry weapon.

Nick Youngblood

Go Pokes for the '04 Big XII Championship!