In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Half Time show from a child?s perspective

TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is a break down of the conversation I had with my 12 year old daughter Caitlin (AKA-Tater-bug), and 10 year daughter Allison (AKA- Ali-Bob) last Sunday during the Super Bowl half time show. Now understand they can see my reaction to what is happing, and tend to ask a lot of questions.

Janet appears on stage:

Tater-bug: Hey Dad? Is that Michael Jackson's sister? She sure looks like him!
Me: Yep, that's one weird family.
Ali-Bob: What's she wearing?
Tater-bug: Looks like something Lauren (Their older sister) would wear.
Ali-Bob & Tater: Both laughing.
Tater-bug: She dances funny.
Ali-Bob: I don't like her voice ether.
Me: Yea, she's no Shania Twain that's for sure. (searching for remote)

Kid Rock appears:

Caitlin: That's that guy who sings a lot on CMT.
Allison: I don't like his music.
Caitlin: Noticing Dad's shocked look. Hey Dad? Isn't that a flag he is wearing?
Me: Yea, and he has a hole cut in it, so that it can be pulled over his head.
Allison: He just tossed it down.
Caitlin: Hey Dad? That's not right is it? You and Mom were both in the army, and Grand dad fought in the war defending our flag, and his brother died fighting and is on that wall. I think that that is real bad.
Me: That's very perceptive of you, I like the way you think Tater-bug.
Caitlin: Smiling because she knows I approve.
Allison: I don't like him.[:(!] (I still can not find the remote)

P-Daddy & Nelly appear:

Caitlin: I hate rap music.
Allison: This sure isn't Christian music, just listen to what they are saying.
Allison: Why does that guy in the white T-shirt keep grabbing himself? Dose he have to go potty? (This is what we ask her a lot when she does the Pee Pee dance).
All of us: Laughing.
Caitlin: Hey Mom? Come here, Allison just made a funny. (Mom being the wise women she is just ignores us)

Janet Jackson reappears:

Me: Why do they have to dress all the others that way?
Caitlin: I think they all look funny.
Allison: I don't think they are singing those words, watch their lips.
Caitlin: I sure wouldn't want to pay to see some one jump around a stage and mouth the words.
Me: I like the way you think Tater-bug, anyone seen the remote?
Caitlin: Smiles. (knowing she got my approval)

Justin Timberlake appears:

All of us: Who is that?
Lauren: (14 year old daughter walking through living room with phone to her ear). That's that guy who used to be a member of the Back Street Boys.
Allison: He should have stayed on the street he was behind.
All of us: Laughing.
Caitlin: Hey Mom, Allison just made another funny.
All of us: "What was that all about?" Shocked to see Janet exposing her breast? [:I]
Caitlin: They did that on purpose.
Allison: Why?
Me: That is all for you guy's, go upstairs.
Caitlin & Allison: Gladly, I have seen enough, make sure you tell us who wins
Allison: I hope it's the Panthers, because Erica (Oldest sister) lives in North Carolina.
Caitlin: Hey Dad, why do you think they did that?
Me: (Thinking quick on my feet), So I will never have to explain again why you can't watch MTV in this house.
Caitlin: I know I'll never watch that junk, but you better keep and eye on Lauren.
Allison & Caitlin: Laughing as they walk up stairs calling out to their sister Lauren who is still on the phone.
Me: Drained, thinking now what? Nothing will ever surprise those girls again.[:(!]

Dog: Standing there looking at me with remote in his mouth![;)]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Thank God for good parents like you. I'm sorry that trashy entertainers put you in bad positions.[:(!]

Keep up the good work. Your children will amount to something![;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your pre-teen duaghters really said all of that huh?
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, they get their smarts from their Mothers side of the family.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Trinity,

Great job with the kids, their actions speak louder than words. It is evident you and the wife are raising future functional, contributing members of our society. I fear your one of the growing exceptions, vice the rule.[:(]

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    Thanks Night Stalker,

That means alot coming from you Sir.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago there was a TV Show called "Kids Say The Darndest Things", hosted by a fella called Art Linkletter.

Many of you, heck maybe most of you, are too young to know what I'm referring to ... but the other "geezers" might be able to.

Anyway I enjoyed the show a lot and after watching it ... there's nothing that a kid says that suprises me! The're sharp little cookies, and often as not they call it like they see it.

Problem is, people tend to not listen to kids and that's a shame because of all of the interesting stuff they have to say.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Trinity, That's good stuff. I believe you and those kids, and most of us here are in that group Nixon got so much mileage out of in the 60's & 70's - the "Silent Majority." These corrupt "entertainers" and the smut they peddle should be no surprise to any Christian who knows that satan is afoot and this world is truly his stage.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    "Satan is afoot."

I don't think Satan had anything to do with the p!$$-poor excuse for entertainment that happened at the Super Bowl halftime show. I mean, as the ultimate embodiment of evil in the world, don't you think Satan would have better things to do?

Like come up with yet another reality TV show?
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mohawk600
    Your pre-teen duaghters really said all of that huh?

WORD.

Gladly? In response to "go upstairs you can't watch anymore"?

GIMMIE A BREAK.
    edited November -1
    Monkey, it's all reality and it's all relevant.

Trinity +++

edited November -1
    SilverBox,

Here is the WORD!

Who are you calling a liar? Me or my 12 year old daughter Caitlin?[:(!]

Sir I'll have you know that this child has not missed a day of school in four years. She maintains a 97% grade, and reads at freshman college level.

I realize it's my fault for bringing them onto this sight. While I'm fair game, my daughters are not. I posted this for those who I felt would enjoy reading it. It never occurred to me that some low life would attack it or them personally.[V]

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    I don't think my 11 year old daughter even noticed it (my 7 year old boy, on the other hand, notices everything, especially if it happens to do with boobies) until the media storm. Now, when she hears "Janet Jackson" or "Superbowl Halftime Show" mentioned on the news or in conversation, she gives us one of those tortured looks , and cries "OH PUULLEEZZZE,....!!!! ISN'T THERE ANYTHING ELSE GOING ON OUT IN THE WORLD??? SHUT UP!!!! THIS IS SOOOOOOO STUPID!!!!!"

I love her...

You want to hear something really sad, I heard on the radio this morning that Janet's boob it now the all-time,most accessed photo on the Internet, surpassing even the 9-11 bombings. What is wrong with people?

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Sorry again, the previous post attributed to "rcrx mike" was actually me. And I love my little boy too, I just don't understand him sometimes....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard that the Janet Jackson thing got almost as many hits on the internet as 9/11 terroist attack.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Monkey, While my post was a reply to Trinity who undoubtedly understood it, you make a most cogent and relevant point.

When 200+ million watch an event, and few see the guiding hand the great deceiver has succeeded. I count on that kind of deception when I twitch a popping bug across a bream bed or hunker down under a woodduck flyway.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Sometimes kids are smarter then adults!!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Sometimes kids are smarter then adults!!" ... OK, I hear ya, but sometimes they need some real parenting from parents who love them and are willing to speak the truth.

Kids are not smarter than parents when it comes to playing with guns ... or playing with drugs etc![B)]
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trinity tell your kids this Indiana cop is real proud of them. When I saw Jackson at half time and all that jerk'n around junk I flipped to the Outdoor Channel and missed the table dance, thank God. Keep up the good parenting.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those that would question TrinityScrimshaw's integrity, p*$$ on the lot of you. Of all the places I have worked, TS is probably the most ethical supervisor that I have ever had. Not a soul for whom I have ever worked could hold a candle to TS's integrity. I've met his daughters too. QUITE believable.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    "Sometimes kids are smarter then adults!!" ... OK, I hear ya, but sometimes they need some real parenting from parents who love them and are willing to speak the truth.

Kids are not smarter than parents when it comes to playing with guns ... or playing with drugs etc![B)]

I didn't say that they don't. I was simply replying to the post and the parenting issues can maybe discussed in a different post?[?]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting. There are good kids out there yet an it seems you hit the jackpot, and not by accident. A pox on silverbox......B.B.