In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WORLD'S LEADING PHYSICIST ADMITS GOD

babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Stephen Hawking, one of the world's foremost physicists says in effect the ultimate knowledge is to know the mind of God..... www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1153853,00.html.

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Don't let Slippers see this! He will be dismissed as a non-scientist![:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stephen Hawking is respected as THE scientific mind in the world and has been. Just goes to show, I guess the best minds DO find Him..[:D]..B.B. Seriously though, puts to bed those who try to defend DE-volution by saying "science has shown..blah, blah...B.B.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not trust scientist who do not believe in God. All the great ones did.
    I was reading an account of a conversation that Tennyson had with Darwin. Tennyson asked him point black if he believed in the existence of a higher power. Darwin answered, "Certainlly I admit it; I am compelled to do so, because evolution has always gone onward and upward, from lower to higher forms of life. That could not be chance; it is unscientific to postulate such an hypothesis, because chance never moves in one direction."

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Babybear,

I have no idea where some folks got the idea that God and science were mutually exclusive.

Evolution, for example. Why some folks rabidly adhere to one or the other to the exclusion of all else is baffling. One, evolution, is scientific theory. The other, Genesis, is a matter of faith. One has been proven, the other does not need to be. Doesn't make one better than the other.

As you pointed out, Hawkings has proven himself one of those open minds. There is room for both science and faith. Without science, we would all be burning witches at the stake and living in mud huts.

And I shudder to think where we would be without faith.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    dheffley, I didn't know slippers was a scientist.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
    edited November -1
    Salzo and Mr. Monkey, 2 excellent posts! Thank you very much for your addition to my thread....B.B.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: because evolution has always gone onward and upward, from lower to higher forms of life.

That is a 19th century concept based on the notion that evolution was a progression of change from the simplest forms to the ultimate: man. It is simply not correct. Protozoa are a product of an evolutionary history of identical length to that of man. The concept is way out of date.

There is no reason to suppose that evolution, a proven fact, is not the means by which God effected the creation.

1950's sci-fi movies not with standing, DE-volution simply does not exist.

He Dog
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Only the human ego believes that a "god" is concerned about his specific and limited life. There is no proof that such concern exists (witness the Holocaust for example), so even if a "god" exists, it has no direct interaction on human life. [}:)]

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
    edited November -1
    He Dog..I disagree on this basis; if you accept God as getting the ball rolling, then you must also accept His account of how He did it: creation in one fell swoop of the man, then creation of the female from a part of the man. Can't have it both ways. With due respect..B.B.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    Don't let Slippers see this! He will be dismissed as a non-scientist!

quote:Originally posted by 4GodandCountry
    dheffley, I didn't know slippers was a scientist.

First, so there is no confusion: Slippers is a she not a "he." (I'm sure of that!)[;)]

Second, she is in bed nursing a severe head cold. (I know that she is in really in bad shape when she doesn't even want to play on the computer!)

Third, I'll just respond that if "the proof of God" relies upon "celebrity" endorsement, the believers have no real proof at all!
    edited November -1
    Competentone..Examples of celebrity, Elvis,Tiny Tim,Al Gore.... Examples of genious...Einstein, Edison, Hawking...hope this clears up any confusion...... [}:)] B.B.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    First, so there is no confusion: Slippers is a she not a "he." (I'm sure of that!)[;)]

The He is in reference to Hawkins. She would dismiss Him as a non-scientist. And, It was all said in jest (joke). I dig at Slippers about her non-belief, and she digs at me about my blind faith. It's all in fun because I doubt either of us will ever change our views.[:D]

quote:Originally posted by competentone
    Third, I'll just respond that if "the proof of God" relies upon "celebrity" endorsement, the believers have no real proof at all!

The foundation of our belief is based on faith not physical proof. That's what those of you who do not believe do not understand about those of us who do.[;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So powerful would the equation be, that to know it would be to know the mind of God, Professor Hawking famously remarked.

Ironic. Every religion in the world claims to already have this knowledge.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HeDog-I did not supply that quote as anything except to illustrate that Darwin believed in a "higher power". Whether or not he was wrong, he still believed a higher power was pulling the strings.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentlemen....B.B.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babybear
    Competentone..Examples of genious...Einstein, Edison, Hawking...

No, these were/are "celebrity" scientists (although Edison was more of just a "celebrity businessman").

The media has told you these are "the great men of science" and you believe it--without understanding some of the monstrous errors in logic the men you name have made when expressing their views about the world.

You will not find me calling them "genius."

Additionally, even if I do call someone a genius, it does not mean that I blindly accept as true everything that they say. Nobody--scientist or otherwise--has any monopoly on knowledge. Facts/knowledge do not rely upon any person's endorsement. Knowledge stands on its own and is accessible to all who are willing to exercise their logic-capable minds to understand it.

(But so few are willing to use their brains to understand things and find it easier to "just believe" what they are told without seeking proof of its veracity.)
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful reading discloses that Hawking does not say such knowledge "is", rather he says it "would be" to know "the mind of God," and he has abandoned the hunt. Note (bold added):

quote:A theory of everything would be the ultimate in scientific determinism....

So powerful would the equation be, that to know it would be to know the mind of God, Professor Hawking famously remarked.

His decision to abandon the hunt for a theory of everything is outlined in a paper posted online.

I don't mean to pop a balloon here, but let's be accurate. Hawking is giving up altogether on explaining everything and this is his way of saying so. I agree with DWS that religions, on the other hand, tend to have a ready "explanation" for everything -- which Hawking would not subscribe to since he is abandoning the search for any such understanding as "unknowable." Of course we can say that the mind of God is unknowable, but that kinda puts those who think it's all laid out in the book in an awkward spot. [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    Big Daddy Junior, to make fun of a quadraplegic solely because he is more intelligent (by far) is about as low as one can go...maybe DE-volution is at work...you should be ashamed......B.B.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    The He is in reference to Hawkins. She would dismiss Him as a non-scientist. And, It was all said in jest (joke).

Yes, I got it, but was just adding to the "misinterpretation" that 4GodandCountry was joking about.
    edited November -1
    Then maybe you should be a professional comedian.....People with disabilities deserve more respect than to have someone "ease their pain" on them by making fun...I am aquainted with disabled friends and will defend them vigorously....what ever your position....button pushed!!!!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:if you accept God as getting the ball rolling, then you must also accept His account of how He did it:

Babybear don't be fatuous. If you refer to the bible, that is clearly the work of men. If you assert that is devinely inspired, that is a matter of faith, since it is not provable, and I certainly do not have to accept it as so.

Misquoting scientists as "proof of god is somewhat like talking about "Scientific creationism," When you have to coopt what you preceive to be the opposition to bolster your case, you have lost the debate.

In point of fact, there is no competent scientist anywhere that will argue science proves there is no god, nor will one say there is proof there is a god. Science and evolution can only demonstrate that Genesis cannot be taken literally, but is an ancient creation myth finally written down. It is eloquent, but by its very nature mythical. That does not mean that god is. God is a matter purely of faith, unknowable and unprovable (also of course un-disprovable). Either ya got faith or ya don't whether you are a scientist or not.

He Dog
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    BDJ: Was this one of the "god's" obtuse lessons for the rest of us mortals?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
    edited November -1
    He Dog, you're the one who raised the possibility of God using evolution to do His work. That said, how do you know of God except through His revealed Word? By the way,the views of the "oposition" are not perceived, but clearly demonstrable. Sorry your bulwarks are crumbling....BDJ....sorry about your problems, honestly, but even if it were YOU, that gives you NO right to make fun of those less fortunate...perhaps you could find another outlet...my compassion for these will not be compromised..B.B.
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those who wish to believe, no proof is necessary; to those who do not, no argument will suffice.

Leave it at that.
    edited November -1
    trstone, I'll agree to a point if you''ll read Acts 26 verses 24-29. Thanks......B.B.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babybear

That said, how do you know of God except through His revealed Word?

Lemme guess the only place where you think His revealed Word will be found. But to reveal God's word, one must know God's mind, which is precisely what Dr. Hawking claims is beyond him. Therefore, you are claiming to know more than Dr. Hawking.

It is truly an honor and a privilege to have you posting here today.
    edited November -1
    No, you only need to read. So then you're saying in order to read Time magazine one must know the mind of the publisher. I think not!! Also I made no claim to knowing more than Hawking. How you make that stretch is beyond me. If you do not agree, simply say so. It is not necessary to twist and add words to hold an opposing view...Such immature behavior is unbecoming.....B.B.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    You are still operating under the misguided impression that I was poking fun at a man in a wheel chair when I was in fact poking fun at people who use an edited version of a celebrity's statement to support their own ideas. While I do not agree with all of Hawken's theories I do respect his search for knowledge. As you did with Hawken's statement you read into mine what you wished it to mean for your own purpose. Your compassion is commendable, I look forward to your learning to apply it evenly.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    Someone says, "I love you."

Do you believe it? Accept it as a matter of faith? Or demand proof?

How much proof is enough proof? Can you ever know the mind of the person who said that?

It boils down to BELIEF.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
    edited November -1
    Nunn, thank you, however it is with us to search; we always will. BDJ.; No, what you said was that Hawking (being a quadriplegic) in a mouth operated wheelchair,probably never meant to say that, but was more probably asking for a doughnut. Very funny! Then when I voiced my displeasure you dared me not to push your buttons. Told me to stick it! When I did'nt run, you pulled your posts. Now you're back! What is with some of you?? Can no one have a differing opinion without you getting vulgar or condescending? If you can't add to it like most decent people here, perhaps an ice cream cone might cheer you up.[:D]