In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Would you even consider buying this car?

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Strange concept: this car dobs you in to the speed camera
By Joshua Dowling, Motoring Editor
February 27, 2004

Tickets, please . . . logging in to the Sportivo Coupe concept car.

Disputing a speed-camera fine could soon be a thing of the past. Today, Toyota will unveil a car that takes away the guesswork when it comes to identifying the leadfoot in the family.

Finding the rightful recipient of the ticket could be as simple as sliding in a mobile phone-style SIM-card instead of a key. The card would contain details of the driver's licence and address.

Wireless technology would allow the car to communicate with the speed camera, and the fine could be deducted from the driver's credit card before he or she even made it home. But would anyone buy such a car?

At the moment, NSW law requires motorists who dispute a speed-camera fine to sign a statutory declaration that the driver was not the registered owner. Anecdotal evidence suggests that some motorists "share" their points with family members who may be reaching their demerit points limit.

There would be no such loophole with the Sportivo Coupe - if it were to be sold in showrooms. It is what the industry refers to as a concept car - a design tease for the Melbourne Motor Show, which opens today.

But its telematics systems are no trivial matter, according to the project manager, Paul Beranger.

"Telematics are going to be a part of our future, whether we like it or not," he said.

The smart card would not only open the doors for an authorised driver, but also set an individual's driving position, favourite radio stations and phone numbers.

Depending on the driver's experience and grade of licence, the card could control the engine power. And each driver's licence number could be displayed on the car's exterior instead of a number- plate.

As well, the car's electronic speedometer relies on signals from speed advisory signs to display the speed limit inside the car. The speedo dial reconfigures itself so that the prevailing limit sits at the easy-to-read 12 o'clock position.

Why would anyone want a car that reports you to the police?

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,857 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I realize that technology must progress, but I think a lot of this new stuff is just dumb.[:(]

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    The insurance lobby will have these on all cars within ten years.

Soma anyone?

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    We are almost there now, with the 2000 & newer models PCM chips already in the vehicles.
    The PCM chips record the drivers driving habits, engine rpm / functions, transmision speeds / gear selection/ kickdowns, wheel speeds / braking pressures.
    It would take very little for for current vehicles to be the same as the vehicle described.
    Walte
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Why not just have a govener on it. Then there would not be a problem with speeding.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools you got snow?
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even simpler, they could very easily install a chip that transmits the car's speed like a CB radio -- so that police cars wouldn't even need radar. It's Big Brother, maybe, but the law-and-order crowd would say, hey, if you're not speeding, you have nothing to worry about. Inserting your ID card would give the chip one more level of data to transmit. In fact, if they made the radio signal strong enough a cop wouldn't have to pull you over -- the information could simply generate a ticket downtown where a PC could send you a notice in the mail.

I would not buy such a car, or vote to approve such a car. If it was the only thing on the sales floor, I could probably keep an old car running for as long as I'd need one. [8D] Then they'd want to retrofit it, of course.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just more electronic junk to complicate the car. And if any wire goes bad you'll spend as much to get it fixed as a good used car cost. I just got rid of a car that someone had messed with. It would stop running every once in awhile. No check engine light, or any other warning, just roll to a stop. The shop said when they plugged into the computer nothing came up, no codes, no signal, nothing. They found evidence of tampering. The cost to fix it was more then I paid for it.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those 64-65 Chevelles and 62-64 Fairlanes are looking better all the time! They even get better gas mileage than what I'm driving now.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mark of the BEAST is coming soon.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • jack85jack85 Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you want to waste your time discussing cars? Let's talk about "The Smart Gun" better of "Ballistic Fingerprinting" concept.

p.s. Please do not response to my comment, joke intended.

God bless The Republic
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    My 1988 Jeep Comanche keeps sounding better and better.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr