In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Police to take ALLweapons - Australia

GhostCatGhostCat Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
WOW....What a Crock!!!!!!!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8800688%255E2862,00.html

Police to swoop on weapons in city
Shelley Hodgson
27feb04

POLICE armed with metal detectors will flood city streets today in a blitz on weapons.

About 45 extra police will hit the CBD for the crackdown.
And they had a clear message for people who flout the law. "If you get caught with a weapon you face the consequences," Superintendent Mick Williams said.

The blitz over at least three days will centre on Southbank and Elizabeth, Bourke and Russell streets.

It is the first operation of its type in the CBD following the introduction of new powers for police to search for concealed weapons. Police were issued with 480 hand-held metal detectors last October.

"It's not in reaction to any incident that's occurred of recent times, it's just one of many operations we will be implementing to enhance city safety," Supt Williams said.

"A lot of people would be excused for thinking that perhaps we're targeting young people. An interesting statistic is the majority of people who carry weapons are 25 years and over."

Supt Williams said the searches would not be random.

"With the control of weapons legislation was introduced last year, it stipulates we must have a reasonable suspicion," he said.

"That suspicion can be a person being in an area that has a high incidence of use of weapons or weapons offences, but it's got to be corroborated with something else."

Supt Williams said that could include reports from members of the public that they had seen a person carrying a weapon, a record of being caught with weapons or a person paying particular attention to potential victims.

Under the amended Control of Weapons Act, those who refuse a search can be fined up to $3000. Those caught with a weapon face fines of up to $12,000 and possible jail.

Liberty Victoria president Greg Connellan said he did not have a major concern about the operation, but if police aimed at certain groups it would be unlawful and counter-productive.

He said a three-day operation would not solve the problem. "The problem is bigger than that -- it's a significant problem," Mr Connellan said.

Australian Civil Liberties Union president John Bennett said police should be careful not to exceed their powers.

"I think the police should be very careful that they adhere to the law themselves and they should only conduct searches where there is a basis for conducting a search," he said.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought about moving to Australia at one time. Not a chance now.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    What utter madness! That's what happens when the city population exceeds the country population.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to believe that a land founded by rugged pioneers could come to this.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Australia has many sheeple... I wonder what would have happened if the aussies had organized and said, "Molon Labe!!" Would have set a good precident, might have made the Kennedy's and Feinsteins of our country think twice...

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Australia was not settled, it was a Penal colony for the British. 160,000 convicts were put ashore there, and were the first explorers into Australias interior.

New South Wales and its satellite penal settlements at Moreton Bay (now Brisbane), Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania) entered the 19th century with a reputation as "hell on earth" - a reputation which the British hoped would function as a deterrent. Irish rebels and petty thieves caught for just stealing loaves of bread were sent to Australia, when death at the end of a noose would often have been more merciful. It is now in a way humorous to think that in attempting to escape, some convicts actually became the first "explorers" into Australia's uncharted interior. Transportation of convicts to Australia ceased by 1868. By then some 160,000 convicts had arrived.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any bets on how long it will take the crime rate to quadruple in Australia?

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang on to your seats ladies. We're next.[8]

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Australia doesn't have a constitutional amendment providing the people with a right to bear arms so the laws can be written and there is little recourse other than refusal to comply.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an Australian for a boss for several years. Great guy to work for. We used to kid him about the old saying "The sun never sets on the British empire". That's because......God didn't trust an Englishman in the dark.
  • ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flathead

101 Posts
    Posted - 02/17/2004 : 12:19:07 PM

>I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
    >
    >The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent; Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not ! and criminals still possess their guns!)
    >
    >While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly.
    >
    >Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the state Assembly disseminating this information.
    >
    >The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's to late!
  • ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The above post was from the gun rights forum.